• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long tee vs. short tee

Which tee pad do you use when you play?

• Short Tee Pad

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Long Tee Pad

Votes: 80 70.2%

• Total voters
i think people feel it'll make em score aces by playing shorts- though i dont believe this.

(haha, j/k! aces from the shorts are still aces! that was a fun round from the longs, i wonder if our scores would differ more on the shorts? hmmm)

most courses i have played you can generally tell what set of tees the course designer had in mind when they designed the course and i try to play these. not saying that the shorter or longer tees are not well designed just that sometimes they can feel like more of an afterthought as to make the course more beginner friendly, or more challenging.

i have encountered a few courses with 4 sets of tees (Emery Park, NY and Golden Hills, VA). red, white, blue, and gold. usually white is most commonly used with blue being more challenging and golds almost ridiculously hard. these are fun and can help improve your game but for competitive rounds i usually will play the whites.

Your going to end up playing from the long as you get better so might as well start from there.

Pittsburgh's Tee/Basket System

Having recently moved to Pittsburgh, I really enjoy the system in place pretty consistently around all the courses in the area (Schenley, Knob Hill, Deer Lakes, Moraine, and Seven Springs). That system is pretty similar to ball golf, and lends a very professional feel to the courses here. I haven't played too much of the country, but it sounds from this thread that Pittsburgh's system is fairly uncommon. Here's what I mean:

For baskets, there are three pin positions for each basket that are all relatively close so as not to affect par (except a couple holes at older courses) but far enough apart to make holes significantly different. This is similar to the concept of a green with different pin positions in ball golf.

For tees, then, there are three or four tees per hole corresponding to PDGA ratings standards. Gold tees are 1000, blues are 950, whites are 900, and reds are 850 (I believe). MA1 players like me, for example, can play from either the blue tees or the white tees and have a course tailored to challenge us slightly above or slightly below our skill level. Also, at a more difficult course like Moraine, the short tees are white...so beginners who would never play from reds in ball golf can play from the whites (the "short" tees) without shame.

I'd encourage any course designers to consider this system, as it really appeals to the standards/metrics side of me and helps guide you for what difficulty to expect from each tee. Plus, the three pin positions can be rotated frequently to add variety without changing the par for each hole.

Most of the time I play long. Ifigure if it takes me a few extra throws then I get that much more practice. About the only time I use the short tees is on a local course where the long tees are really just a grass, granite mixture.

I was visiting my inlaws in southern Wisconsin this weekend. My father inlaw and I wound went to Madison and played Hiestand Park and Elver Park.
I noticed that almost everyone playing those two courses were playing from the short tees (I play from the long tees when they are available).
Is this just happening in Madison or is this common at most of the courses that anyone else plays?

It's possible that a tourney was upcoming and the local Rec / AM guys were all practicing up on the shorts.

The only course in the LA/Orange/Riverside/San Bernardino area that has multiple tees is on a ball golf course. Van Buren Golf Center in Riverside (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=2963&page=1&mode=rev#17327). Since the entire course is long bombs anyway, I opt to throw from the white tees, as there are red, white, and blue on each hole. My buddy tried the blue ones for a round but it turned out to be kind of pointless and did not add much of a challenge. The red tees were just too easy. So white was perfect. And that is my input.

Certianly depends on the course, but I think I generally play the short tees, unless the challenge is pretty low, then the long tees. Most all the courses around here (Phoenix), only have one set of tees anyways.

My local course doesn't really have long and short tees.... http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=29 Except on two holes and #4 tee has a,b,c tees. There is a indicator arrow as to which one is in play. If it's indicated long we play long.

When I play a new course for the first time, I play the first round from the shorts to get a feel for the layout. The second round I play from the long tees. Time constraints or player skill level are determining factors sometimes.

For me it depends on the course. If the shorts are really technical, I'll go that route. If they are pitch and putts, I'll go long...... But, I prefer to stretch my throws, so consistently, I throw from the lomg placements when they are available

For me it depends on the course. If the shorts are really technical, I'll go that route. If they are pitch and putts, I'll go long...... But, I prefer to stretch my throws, so consistently, I throw from the lomg placements when they are available

My feelings ride the coat tails of this post! :)

I generally play the long tees because that is where I will be in most tournaments, but I have found a few places where I think the shorts were actually harder

Yeah it really depends. Some shorts neuter the course and make it silly. Some shorts make the course where you won't cry like a baby when you are done carding your 150.

Having recently moved to Pittsburgh, I really enjoy the system in place pretty consistently around all the courses in the area (Schenley, Knob Hill, Deer Lakes, Moraine, and Seven Springs). That system is pretty similar to ball golf, and lends a very professional feel to the courses here. I haven't played too much of the country, but it sounds from this thread that Pittsburgh's system is fairly uncommon. Here's what I mean:

For baskets, there are three pin positions for each basket that are all relatively close so as not to affect par (except a couple holes at older courses) but far enough apart to make holes significantly different. This is similar to the concept of a green with different pin positions in ball golf.

For tees, then, there are three or four tees per hole corresponding to PDGA ratings standards. Gold tees are 1000, blues are 950, whites are 900, and reds are 850 (I believe). MA1 players like me, for example, can play from either the blue tees or the white tees and have a course tailored to challenge us slightly above or slightly below our skill level. Also, at a more difficult course like Moraine, the short tees are white...so beginners who would never play from reds in ball golf can play from the whites (the "short" tees) without shame.

I'd encourage any course designers to consider this system, as it really appeals to the standards/metrics side of me and helps guide you for what difficulty to expect from each tee. Plus, the three pin positions can be rotated frequently to add variety without changing the par for each hole.

Nice to see another Pittsburgher here. I agree that our courses rock for alternate tees. In my noob experience, the tees at Moraine are much more "accurate" for the rating skill level than Deer Lakes. I play near bogey golf from both middle tees (white at Deer Lakes, blue at Moraine).

I normally play longs since I need all the practice I can get. But sometimes I play the shorts for a second round. On some courses the different lengths create some new angles and lines that really change the course.

All about the course. For instance, I played Oregon park last week and every couple of holes the longer tee would be the easier shot. Usually a fairly wide open ace run while the shorter tee would require a much tighter fairway or a sharp turn. Which tee makes you better? All depends on what you need to work on.

Most of the time for me, it is a mix and match and I look for what seems to be the cooler shot. Last time to a course that had the alternates though, I played the short tees while I was working putters, but generally there, I play the long, and I couldnt resist playing the long tees on a couple of holes just because it is such a sweet shot.

I hate short tee pads, the short ones around me are only 4 feet long, and most are kind of built up so its impossible to get a run up. I think 10-12 feet is a minimum.

Latest posts