• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long Time Gone

agapedad

Eagle Member
So, I spent a long time not playing DG at all.
My son started playing for his college, so I picked it back up. My last tournament was 2012, and that was about the last time I played regularly.
I played a tournament this year, and it felt good to be back in it.
2 things hit me though:
1) My discs are all old!
2) My stamina sucks! I was on the chase card at the end of the first round, and dropped to way out of the running for any plastic in the 2nd.

So, what new discs do I need to make sure I check out? I am 47 with a weak arm. Throwing about 250-275 pretty flat.

Any recommendations or tips for increasing the stamina in a tournament? That second round killed me!

Welcome Back

Welcome back to the best game in the world! I returned to disc golf after a big break myself. If you have a disc shop close by go talk to them. I live in Aurora, CO and my go to is Fly Green Disc Golf. But any good shop should be able to help you out. Remember why you first started playing and keep those throws coming. Check out as many of the threads that you have time for and you should be good.

Welcome back as well!

Let us know what you bag, what your go-to discs (and plastics) are, and that will help DGCR point you in the right direction.

Stamina is more complicated...it'll get covered though:thmbup:

Welcome back to the best game in the world! I returned to disc golf after a big break myself. If you have a disc shop close by go talk to them. I live in Aurora, CO and my go to is Fly Green Disc Golf. But any good shop should be able to help you out. Remember why you first started playing and keep those throws coming. Check out as many of the threads that you have time for and you should be good.

Nice! I grew up in Aurora and graduated from Rangeview!
Unfortunately I left for what was supposed to be 4 years and could never afford to move my family back!

Nice! I grew up in Aurora and graduated from Rangeview!
Unfortunately I left for what was supposed to be 4 years and could never afford to move my family back!

Well that sucks. But like I said, find a good shop near you and ask them to get you back up to speed. I live near Smoky Hill High School!

My son started playing for his college, so I picked it back up. My last tournament was 2012, and that was about the last time I played regularly.
2 things hit me though:
1) My discs are all old!
2) My stamina sucks! I was on the chase card at the end of the first round, and dropped to way out of the running for any plastic in the 2nd.

So, what new discs do I need to make sure I check out? I am 47 with a weak arm. Throwing about 250-275 pretty flat.

Any recommendations or tips for increasing the stamina in a tournament? That second round killed me!
Welcome back!

Just made a return myself after not playing for a few years due to injury. Going to play my first tourney in exactly 3yrs on New Years Day
sell all your old discs and cash in

This...

Btw, if you have any of those old crappy 11x KC Pro Teebirds. I'll take them off your hands cheap...

:D

You'd better have made a lot of money in your 9 year absence, if you're taking suggestions on trying new discs. There are 14,312 new models, and you might get earnest suggestions to try 14,311 of them (plus one joker suggesting the Groove).

I lost skills and stamina over the last 9 years, while still playing. But that was from getting old. There are lots of nice new discs out there, but no magic ones; you might be better sticking with your old ones, and filling in slots in your bag as you go along.

2 things hit me though:
1) My discs are all old!

I see you're in Ohio! That's awesome to hear about your son - what college is he playing for? I work with U of Toledo's team as their university advisor. :) We've competed against a bunch of the other Ohio schools this year.

As for advice on stamina - throw more, bit by bit. Obviously any other ancillary physical exercise that keeps you on your feet and moving for long periods of time will be beneficial. But in general, slowly ramp up how often you play multiple rounds. Maybe make sure you've got a chair out there with you if you're not totally ready for the grind of the day. And an overlooked tip - during the tournament keep your eye on everyone's disc all the way to the ground/where they disappear because I find the most strenuous walking is done in the frantic scramble through the woods to find someone's disc.

Not a knock at all because this also describes me, but at 275' your old discs are fine. There isn't anything magical out there that is going to do much for you. 95% of my bag is the same as it was in 2013.

A lot of people now carry overstable putter/mid tweeners like the Zone and Harp. There are a lot of low-profile putters now and a lot of people (not me) think they are more comfortable. Axiom Envy seems to be the new Wizard for driving putters. If you want to look at something new, those might be worth it. Mids and drivers are the same as they ever were.

2 things hit me though:
1) My discs are all old!

I'm 62 and have a bad back. Multiple round days do me in, especially two rounds each for two days.....oh man does my back complain! When I know I'm going to be doing multiple rounds in a day, I will go out as much as I can the week of (and prior if I can) and play two rounds. That gets me prepared for it. I also do lots of stretching. But the main thing I do is have two bags....one is a backpack style with all the discs I think I will need. Then the second round is a 'sling' bag with only the discs that I actually used. That way it is easier on my back. If the course is cart friendly, I'll use a cart to make it easier on me. I also carry a tube of Deep Blue, which is similar to Ben-Gay, but less of a strong smell. Regardless, when I get home after the second day of two rounds, my wife knows I'm going to be soaking in the tub and going to bed early (and making an appointment with my chiropractor).

As for discs....I would really suggest getting a starter pack. While you've played before and are familiar with discs, this might give you the best 'get back into it' option.

You've asked for advice on discs, but look at what stores sell discs in your area - are they brand specific? If so, advice to buy brand X, when your local store only sells brand Y and Z doesn't really help.

Not a knock at all because this also describes me, but at 275' your old discs are fine. There isn't anything magical out there that is going to do much for you. 95% of my bag is the same as it was in 2013.

A lot of people now carry overstable putter/mid tweeners like the Zone and Harp. There are a lot of low-profile putters now and a lot of people (not me) think they are more comfortable. Axiom Envy seems to be the new Wizard for driving putters. If you want to look at something new, those might be worth it. Mids and drivers are the same as they ever were.

agreed

i would expand this to saying try out different mvp/axiom putters

mids and drivers are indeed the same ol same

sell all your old discs and cash in

My 1st run stamped Star Xcalibur I started out using in 2007 (had zero idea that it was not a beginner's disc) is worth like $100+ on eBay right now but I don't think I could ever part with my literal first driver that I somehow was able to chuck 300 feet forehand as a beginner and now am so bad with my forehead after forcing myself to learn backhand years ago.

But yea, I've got a few discs from 2007-2008 era that are worth a pretty penny now but don't think I could ever part with them due to sentimental value.

As far as a good drivers in this modern day for OP, I suggest a Star Orc just because it's can pretty much be thrown forehand, backhand, chicken wing, etc and it'll pretty much do what it's suppose to do even if you are a bit rusty. In terms of putters, well they haven't changed much since 2012 except maybe the molds have gotten more consistent from some brands so could probably get away with using your old putter.

Last edited:
There are lots of nice new discs out there, but no magic ones

I thought so too till a saw the Halo Heimburg Destroyer in action. There is something different about them. But this is not for the kind of distance the OP is throwing and just derailing the thread. Self-five :hfive:

Maybe a Halo Leopard if you can get your hands on one.

I'm over 50 and will say that if you just play fairly regularly the stamina will come.

I probably can't run fifty yards without having some sort of coronary episode and possibly dying but if you want to pick three of the most brutal courses in my area and play them all in one day then I'm down. I will fully admit that the back nine on that third course likely won't be my best game and I'll be a little sore and tired.

I guess what I'm saying is that stamina doesn't come magically overnight but if you just keep playing then eventually playing is going to come easier.

Also, bad form or strong arming your throws will wear you down. If you're throwing smooth and clean you'll be able to throw a full round (or two) and won't be any worse for wear.

You'd better have made a lot of money in your 9 year absence, if you're taking suggestions on trying new discs. There are 14,312 new models, and you might get earnest suggestions to try 14,311 of them (plus one joker suggesting the Groove).

Might I suggest trying Grooves. Their flights vary so much, surely there's a Groove to fill every slot in your bag.

Last edited:
I see you're in Ohio! That's awesome to hear about your son - what college is he playing for? I work with U of Toledo's team as their university advisor. :) We've competed against a bunch of the other Ohio schools this year.

As for advice on stamina - throw more, bit by bit. Obviously any other ancillary physical exercise that keeps you on your feet and moving for long periods of time will be beneficial. But in general, slowly ramp up how often you play multiple rounds. Maybe make sure you've got a chair out there with you if you're not totally ready for the grind of the day. And an overlooked tip - during the tournament keep your eye on everyone's disc all the way to the ground/where they disappear because I find the most strenuous walking is done in the frantic scramble through the woods to find someone's disc.

That is awesome Chriswoj! My son actually plays for Great Lakes up in Lansing. I think he played with your kids a couple tournaments this year.
I have known Bob Cundif since my early days in disc golf. He was telling me they help sponsor your kids up there. That is awesome.

I'm just south of Findlay

I'm 62 and have a bad back. Multiple round days do me in, especially two rounds each for two days.....oh man does my back complain! When I know I'm going to be doing multiple rounds in a day, I will go out as much as I can the week of (and prior if I can) and play two rounds. That gets me prepared for it. I also do lots of stretching. But the main thing I do is have two bags....one is a backpack style with all the discs I think I will need. Then the second round is a 'sling' bag with only the discs that I actually used. That way it is easier on my back. If the course is cart friendly, I'll use a cart to make it easier on me. I also carry a tube of Deep Blue, which is similar to Ben-Gay, but less of a strong smell. Regardless, when I get home after the second day of two rounds, my wife knows I'm going to be soaking in the tub and going to bed early (and making an appointment with my chiropractor).

As for discs....I would really suggest getting a starter pack. While you've played before and are familiar with discs, this might give you the best 'get back into it' option.

You've asked for advice on discs, but look at what stores sell discs in your area - are they brand specific? If so, advice to buy brand X, when your local store only sells brand Y and Z doesn't really help.

No need for a starter pack to get back into it! I still have a bag full plus an entire plastic bin, even after my son took what he wanted!

No stores in my area unfortunately! Unless you count the crap discs at Dick's

Latest posts