• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longer mid dilemma

I think the fairway driver always has a place. Even if you throw a Buzzz 400' then you should be throwing a Teebird 450'+. That's a sizable gap. Whatever makes you feel comfortable and brings the scores down is what's best for you though. Maybe a longer fairway might suit you better. Along the lines of a PD.

In my experience, a understable mid in right conditions, can blow by a Fairway driver with some stability. I have bombed my Element super long at times.

Sill, my understable fairway, the River, can blow by my distance drivers in the right conditions as well.

So it is about knowing stability and conditions, but really, the overlap is not a problem, because the way the shots shape are different.

^This! There are certain lines that I can easily hit with a Teebird that I would find much more difficult with my buzzz, buzzz ss, or hornet.

I always have a champ Leopard with me, sometimes a TL. Over the years as I got better with putters and mids, and especially now with these sweet Swedish mids, I use fairways less and less. Often I can get fairway distance or close enough with my mids, and pull out drivers when necessary. On really windy days and for one hole on a course I sometimes play, I'll bring a beefy overstable fairway like Viper/Whippet.

I think it just depends on the skill you have with your current discs, your preferences, and maybe the hole lengths on the courses you play. Throw whatever works and gives you control over the shot.