• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longest Courses in the Country

Sequoyah State Park -- short tees about 16,000, long tees 17,000+
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5795&mode=ci
Note to all who upload photos. I know there's always a rush to get pics up and show everybody, but showing your course in winter mode (i.e. no foliage) doesn't really showcase it well. Following those pics up with a 5 disc homer review just makes it look worse. Seriously, just wait for things to turn green again.

Then again, this course pretty much follows a ball golf layout 98% of the way. Not my kind of golf unless I'm using a ball and a set of clubs.

the layout may suck, but at least the baskets are top-notch.

And environmentally friendly (well unless they catch on fire). :p

If overall length is involved, then Justin Trails Big Brother should be on the list. The course is around 3.5 miles to walk through even though the holes aren't as long. The average round for that course is three and a half hours.

Some good sized hills to walk up and down on Big Brother too! It's an even longer day when you're playing a tournament round and have to start and end by walking out to one of the holes way in the back of the property.

Finnon lakes old layout for 18 was 9073 that averaged out to 504' average and they have 4 holes that are 275'(ACE RUN @ that course) Not to mention some of the walks in betweeen. Takes about 3.5 hours to play at a pretty fast pace.

Sequoyah State Park -- short tees about 16,000, long tees 17,000+
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5795&mode=ci

That's pretty extreme, averaging 893 ft per hole... from the "short" tees, with 12 holes clocking in at 900+. Not even sure the longs are necessary, but what the hell, they had the land: Longs average 950/hole.

For me, one round here would be like playing three rounds at most courses.

^and think about Oklahoma's wind for the whole 17,000 feet.

^^^ ponds and little shade in the California sun made it brutal. My arm gets sore just thinking about it. I played a casual round there and a tourney round there and the tourney round featured 25-30 mph winds. It was pure suck. Wow that was 5 years ago and still haunts me.

^^^ ponds and little shade in the California sun made it brutal. My arm gets sore just thinking about it. I played a casual round there and a tourney round there and the tourney round featured 25-30 mph winds. It was pure suck. Wow that was 5 years ago and still haunts me.

25-30 mph winds over nearly 18,000 ft of playing that sounds like a more than humbling exerience.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Blue Valley felt like the longest I've played.

I played a round of 27 at Milo...and then played another right after. It's long, but not necessarily exhausting. But after 18 at Blue Valley, I was dead. On the last hole I had my hands on my knees. That course is a rite of passage, and I kind of wish they didn't design it that way because it's a great piece of land.

That said, KC has so many good courses that they can afford to have one that you really don't want to play that often.

Arial+Course+with+Distances+v2.jpg

Australian Open 2013 course

I'm not suprised that no one has mentioned it (because no one ever plays this worthless course) but Turkey Creek here in Colorado is right up there in the long course category. DGCR lists it as 9425 feet but at the Visitors Vented they include the distances between teepads and more accurate hole distances which pushes it well over the 10,00 foot mark at 10,275.

The think that makes it feel even longer than it really is, is the fact that it is just a terrible course. Whoever designed it should stay far away from course design in the future. No obstacles to speak of, no sense of flow, nonsensical teepad and pun placements, every hole is mist a wide-open bomber...its just the drizzling ****s.

Very valid point. I guess it depends on if you're looking for style of the course or just overall length. Are you looking for a course that has a bunch of really super long holes, or the flat out distance you're going to under take when playing a course. If you're going purely on average hole length/style then we'd have to consider super 9s as well.

I know I'm far more beat after playing Milo than I am after playing Blue Lake, even though Blue Lake has a longer average hole length because 17,143 ft + 36 walkouts > 10,296 ft + 18 walkouts.

The other thing you have to consider is do you count all the holes of a complex like Horning's Hideout or High Bridge Hills, or just look at the individual courses. I would say break up the individual courses.

With that logic though you have to decide where you draw the line on what is one big course and what are individual courses on a complex. Milo is played as a 36 hole course, but the 2 18 hole sides of the course play back to the parking lot. It makes it easier to run and schedule a tournament that way. Where as Horning's really is 3 entirely different courses with different skill levels on different parts of the property. So they would never be considered as one course.

I can't say I have the answer to this because I didn't start the thread, so I'm curious to hear what others think.

I played the BSF layout in March for the Collegiate Regional and it is brutal. One day there playing both courses was rough but nearly 5 rounds in 2 1/2 days plus a stop to play Tree Top on the way there I was toast.

But for shear brutality and long is Renny in Charlotte NC. I hate that course.

However for the meanest kick your but lay you in bed for 2 days experience play the 3 courses at the PDGA HQ in 1 day and then play a tourney there over the next 2. Those courses all flow together and lend to playing one after the other. The total length is 25,379ft, with the Steady Ed course at 8274ft in the longs, Warner is 7680ft in the longs, and Jackson is 9325 and has only one set of tees.

With the HQ there and a great park for camping this is a great experience, and unlike Renny I would do it again.

Another is Hawk Hallow in VA, it is a monster that is a pure joy to play.

Foundation Park DG Complex in Centralia, Il. The 18 hole course in the long positions runs 13,000', I believe.

Was going to mention this course....it whooped my ass!

Also high bridge gold was was an incredibly long course as well

Edmund Orgil in Memphis is quite long as well, especially when they put the temp distances in

I played the BSF layout in March for the Collegiate Regional and it is brutal. One day there playing both courses was rough but nearly 5 rounds in 2 1/2 days plus a stop to play Tree Top on the way there I was toast.

But for shear brutality and long is Renny in Charlotte NC. I hate that course.

However for the meanest kick your but lay you in bed for 2 days experience play the 3 courses at the PDGA HQ in 1 day and then play a tourney there over the next 2. Those courses all flow together and lend to playing one after the other. The total length is 25,379ft, with the Steady Ed course at 8274ft in the longs, Warner is 7680ft in the longs, and Jackson is 9325 and has only one set of tees.

With the HQ there and a great park for camping this is a great experience, and unlike Renny I would do it again.

Another is Hawk Hallow in VA, it is a monster that is a pure joy to play.

With the amount of shade at the IDGC, it didn't feel like as much of a walk as others mentioned in this thread, and none of the individual courses are nearly as long on a per hole basis as the longest.

Mcfarland Park in Florence, Alabama, a course I codesigned plays over 10,000 ft. when all the pins are in the long positions and you play from the pro boxes. I just have not took the time to update all the hole info on this sight, as there have been many changes since we originally put it in. It is located on a property that was once a ball golf course. We designed it be a very versatile course offering play from around 5500 ft up to 10000 ft.