• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longest staightest driver with least amount of fade.

Not all discs have high speed turn. Firebird, Predator, Wizard, Ridge, Roc, Teebird, Stalker...just to name a few. The fade is the problem. You need a disc that you can power well enough to keep straight for a long time, but you won't turn over. The effects of fade can also be minimized if you can keep your throw close to the ground, but some shots won't allow that.

I don't know that I entirely agree with this. My Wizards, Teebirds, and Stalkers all have high speed turn. Not a lot, mind you, but some. Every one of those discs I have to throw on some level of a hyzer angle in order to get them to flip up and fly flat. That indicates to me that they have some level of negative HSS, they just take a bit more juice to reach that point.

Virtually every disc will exhibit some level of HSS stability when thrown at a certain speed. Hell, even the Predator does it. Case in point is Robbie Bratten who uses an ESP predator for his long distance shots of 500+ feet. That disc S curves like a Surge even when thrown on a hyzer angle for him.

Throw your Wiz/teebirds with just a touch of hyzer and smooth. Unless they are sufficiently beat they should not have any high speed turn. Sounds like the way you are throwing them more than anything.

Throw your Wiz/teebirds with just a touch of hyzer and smooth. Unless they are sufficiently beat they should not have any high speed turn. Sounds like the way you are throwing them more than anything.

But the very nature of the fact that you have to throw on a hyzer to throw straight indicates that there is some level of high speed turn because they are "turning" from hyzer to flat. Yes, the disc may flip up flat and stay there, but the fact that it flips up at all means there is high speed turn in play.

But the very nature of the fact that you have to throw on a hyzer to throw straight indicates that there is some level of high speed turn because they are "turning" from hyzer to flat. Yes, the disc may flip up flat and stay there, but the fact that it flips up at all means there is high speed turn in play.
It depends on how you define turn. Just saying that any disc will eventually beat to flip from a hyzer isn't as useful of a definition of "turn" as combining how they'll fly when new with how they'll fly when beat when thrown with "enough" hyzer. Using that admittedly vague, but more useful definition, you'll find that the discs Mike listed don't have any turn but may require a hyzer to get a straight shot out of when beat.

It depends on how you define turn. Just saying that any disc will eventually beat to flip from a hyzer isn't as useful of a definition of "turn" as combining how they'll fly when new with how they'll fly when beat when thrown with "enough" hyzer. Using that admittedly vague, but more useful definition, you'll find that the discs Mike listed don't have any turn but may require a hyzer to get a straight shot out of when beat.

While you make a valid point, I was only raising the issue for clarity's sake. To me, a truly straight disc can be released flat and will end flat with no fade or turn. We all know that no such disc really exists, but I think it is somewhat misleading to say disc x, y, or z has no turn, but has to be thrown on a hyzer to get it to go straight. In essence, you're saying that if you DO throw flat, it WILL have turn, but if you throw it on a hyzer, it won't have turn. A disc either has turn or doesn't. Maybe a distinction without a difference, but I wanted to be clear (as mud) for the OP.

Also, I think all of those discs listed will have turn even when new at certain power levels, the teebird requiring the most power before a turn occurs (even when new). I have a brand new wizard that I have to throw on a hyzer to get to fly flat. I have a stalker that required the same thing out of the box. Admittedly, a hyzer angle is only required when putting a substantial amount of power into both discs, but they do require them for maximum distance.

Last edited:
I'm just getting back into playing after a bit away, but Teebirds and Sabers used to be the straightest flyers pre-wide wing era. Teebirds dominated heavily, but I always thought an S Saber was the most true, dead-straight flyer.

the longest, fastest driver i can think of is a Surge SS. get one in FLX plastic, they really snap off your fingers. this is the straightest disc i've ever thrown.

I'm just getting back into playing after a bit away, but Teebirds and Sabers used to be the straightest flyers pre-wide wing era. Teebirds dominated heavily, but I always thought an S Saber was the most true, dead-straight flyer.
IMO, the only discs that have come out that you might be able to argue are longer and still straight are the PD and Striker. I haven't thrown either but I'm skeptical that they're as straight as a beat DX Teebird or S Sabre. I'd guess they have more fade and are more like Champ Teebirds, but I don't know how they beat in.

Latest posts