• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lookin' for a flick disc...

nitron2097

Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm working on my right hand forehand technique. I've been using my 166 KC Champ Firebird and my 166 KC Star Wraith, and I'm getting about 230' out of the Bird and 260' out of the Wraith. I don't have a lot of power with it yet, but I can control it pretty well.

What do you guys think would be a good model - in Innova or DiscMania stuff preferably, since I know their flight numbers - for someone just starting out with their flick? I was thinking of something in Blizzard plastic... maybe a Boss or even a PD2 in a heavier weight? I'm not trying to convert to forehand, but it's nice to be able to switch-hit.

Any advice? Thanks a bunch.

Are your flicks crashing hard right? Hyzering out early? If they are then try using something less stable, like a beast or valkyrie or maybe even a sidewinder. It's pretty hard to get a lot of distance out of something as stable as a firebird, unless you have a lot of power in your wrist or you start it out on an anny

It's not hyzering out early, but it's coming out with more speed than my backhand. I've tried using my DX Valkyrie, but even throwing with a lot of hyzer, I still flip it over into a roller. I've done it with my KC Teebird and KC Eagle, but I don't get a lot of glide out of those. I'm just looking for something with more distance that will be predictable.

Try to find a lighter domier champ firebird or even a star firebird. I also second the S-PD suggestion.

I was thinking about the Starfire. My friend's sister throws those ballerina-style backhand and they go 350' on a frozen rope. Lots of people use those to flick. I don't think they'd fly very far with my power level, though. I'll try an S-Line PD when I have a chance.

Try to get an old starfire from your friends sister if you can. Brand new they will be real overstable, but they break in oh so sweet. They start to get a nice turn when thrown flat or slight hyzer. But new you might have to throw anhyzer. I have realized the beauty of this disc... even when beat in they are still very resistant to "turning & buring" when thrown w/ a lot of power or OAT (nose down is another story). They just develop the smooth turn. Again I have heard the s-pd is very similar (nothing wrong w/ my SF so idk).

When I was first starting out and throwing forehand a lot, I picked up a Discraft Flash, and it provided me with nice long, straight forehand shots. Now that it's beat it's not all that great for them anymore, though :(

@ las8... Yeah, and she's got a lot of them in R-Pro plastic. It's her favorite driver... they're all at different stages of wear and all different weights. She can get them do do pretty much anything. I'll look for a beat Starfire or an S-PD next time I can hit the store.

Get a Beast, and don't look back. They just fly so beautiful, and with minimal effort. I like mine around the 165 range. Hardly any turn, and very little fade.

Never seen an R-pro starfire. But I do know most of the pro starfires are actually an SL (starfire-L). I had a star SF and a pro SF when I started and was so confused when I could bomb my star but my pro would flip and nose dive after 50 feet. So I would suggest you do not get pro for FH. I love my pro for BH tho because I have a weak arm and it is considerably understable vs starfire in other plastics due to the mold variation and pro beating in easy.

Get a blizzard boss for long w a little fade or a blizzard ape to meathook right

You can throw really anything sidearm, to be honest. But you need to work on your form before you move to a higher speed...I started with an Archangel and quickly moved up to a Wraith...Big mistake! All I ended up with was elbow pain and a disc that dropped out of the sky the second it slowed down. But you sound like you're on the right track and all the posters above gave some valubale tips...good luck!

Latest posts