• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for a Cheetah-ish disc

I have been playing for just over a year. Recently my group started playing a course with some serious water hazards and I prepared and took out my old Cheetahs that have not been thrown in a long time. I never really cared for it. Apparently that was a noob mistake because now I am getting excellent drives with this disk.

Not much to some on these forums, but my average is about 350 with the Cheetah. I can hyzer it and it will flip and turn a little to the right and finish gently with a soft fade. Problem is in DX plastic they beat in super quick and now my Cheetahs turn over drastically even when I hyzer them. I mean they turn over and turn into rollers. I bought a new one and it is doing well for now but once it beats in to that point again I will just end up buying another.

Question is what is the closest thing to a Cheetah that comes in a more durable plastic that might allow me more time before needing to get a replacement. I looked on line and found the TL looks closest...but I am not as familiar with other companies. How about from the Innova Store? They apparently make them in Champion and Star...how much does this change in plastic change the flight?

Any suggestions.

Star Leopard maybe?

I have one for my fairway shots (200' to 300'), and it does the same thing you described (the "S" flight), and it is fairly new.

Did you know that the innova pro shop has champion cheetahs? If you feel comfortable going up in speed i would recommend a sidewinder.

I have a 175g Pro Leopard. Great Disc. Once it turns I do not seem to ever get any fade on it. When I hyzer it, the disc flips, turns and keeps right on turning. I use it for those long anny shots.

I have not tried the sidewinder.

I have a 175g Pro Leopard. Great Disc. Once it turns I do not seem to ever get any fade on it. When I hyzer it, the disc flips, turns and keeps right on turning. I use it for those long anny shots.

IMO/E you should try a Champion Leopard, it will take a long time to beat in & still fade.

Depends on the mold, but champ is almost always a tick more stable. If you love the Cheetah, the champ version in the factory store might make you happy...probably won't have as much glide as the dx you're used to, though. I'd recommend a champ Leopard in the same weight or slightly heavier. Those seem to fly more like -1, 1 instead of the normal Leo -2, 1. The TL is a great disc, too and you'd probably love it right off the bat. Stepping up a bit, a star Valk is a great driver and it sounds like you have the power to make it do what it should with no trouble. With time, star Valks will get a little flippy...if that's bad, then a Viking or a champ Valk is the way to go.

Back in the stone age I threw KC pro Cheetahs, the crazy grippy ce'ish ones, they were only a touch more stable than dx. I can't speak for the runs they carry at the pro shop but they should be pretty similar to what you throw. But you never can tell with innova.

Somewhere buried deep within these forums is a thread about the innova pro shop, I remember people posting about the newly released Cheetah so maybe they threw in a review or two of its flight vs old Cheetahs..

a friend of mine pointed out that the LAT64 River is actually a Cheetah.....I didn't believe him but take a look at the 2 molds side by side and the way they fly.....pretty funny that all the lat64 fanboys are just throwing cheetahs lol

I'd say try a Millenium JLS. The base line plastic is just like innova's pro plastic so it will be more durable than DX. I've never thrown a cheetah but the JLS has some turn and fade so it sounds about the same.

I'd recommend trying out the Cyclone or Gazelle in low end plastic first. They might start out a bit more overstable than you really want but they'll beat in better for someone throwing 350'. If that doesn't sound like something you want to do, I agree that the Polaris LS is the closest.

Thanks for the responses. I am going to try a few things. From Valks and Gazelles to Polaris LS. I played today and the Cheetah was flying amazing. I am new to this game but today I threw my best score and was 2 under at what I consider my home course. Will definitely be figuring out which of these options will help me out.

Yeah ... except you and your buddy forgot to actually look at the disc stats; which shows that they are not only of completely different disc diameters, but also different rim width. Stick to your day job :\

a friend of mine pointed out that the LAT64 River is actually a Cheetah.....I didn't believe him but take a look at the 2 molds side by side and the way they fly.....pretty funny that all the lat64 fanboys are just throwing cheetahs lol

OK, so I tried a JLS and an LS. Neither is quite right. The Valk did not give me the same movement of my seasoned Cheetah.

Was wondering if anyone on here was familiar with the Discraft Impact. MarshallStreet flight chart shows it is the same as a cheetah. If so this would be awesome.

If not I fear I will be buying a star or Champ Cheetah soon.

Cheetahs, like everything else, can be inconsistent. Then if you count the different levels of use...
First,
I have several dozen Cheetahs. 8x, 9x, 10x, 11x, DX, Star and Champion. They range in stability from TeeBird to roller.
Second,
The Champ Cheetahs I have are very stable, compared to DX. Definitely get one, but a new Champ Cheetah is NOT going to fly like a beat-in DX.
Third,
I tend to agree that the JLS and Polaris are very close to some Cheetahs. Give them some time to beat-in or try a different run. The Impact, Leo and River have not been close in feel or flight, in my experience. Polaris LS is the disc that I have found to be the closest to Cheetahs.
If you like the way your beat DX flies, then try a beat-up chalky 10x. Of course, it'll cost you some change, but you're gonna spend a lot on that Champ Cheetah anyways.
They show up on the MarketPlace and ebay occasionally.

Latest posts