• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for a putter

Mr. JY

Bogey Member
What I'm looking for from most to least important...

- Low height disc. Something that feels more like a driver.
- Stable to slightly overstable.
- Fairly stiff.
- Groove top/thumb groove.
- 175g.
- Fairly common.

Suggestions?
Thanks!! :)

You just described the Innova Rhyno to a T. I'd suggest pro plastic.

Edit: saw you want something stiff. Try dx or champ depending on how much grip and durability you want. Also the Vibram Ridge is right up your alley aside from the lack of a thumb groove.

Pig. Feels great similar to rhino. R pro and pro are good. I can drop that thing anywhere I want 200 and in. Great release with the track pad.

I would not describe the Banger as being a "low height disc" which was his most important characteristic. I can't really speak for Pigs and Rhynos, but I would scratch the Banger.

Edit: saw you want something stiff. Try dx or champ depending on how much grip and durability you want. Also the Vibram Ridge is right up your alley aside from the lack of a thumb groove.

I'm still going to suggest the ridge. If we only say Pig, Banger GT, and Rhyno we miss the fact that he listed them in order of importance. The reason I suggest the firm ridge is because the only thing it is missing is the Groove Top and I think you'll find that to be something you can live with out. The Thumb Track and Groove Tops are nice to some people but I think they won't be ruined if they throw the same disc without it.

Also if you act now there is a pearly champ rhyno sitting at my local shop I could pick up for you if you'll pay me the costs.

Yeah, the Rhino and Pig I would describe as more than slightly overstable, and the Bangers thumbtrack may not be what you are thinking of if you are referring to a Rhyno type thumbtrack. Its a deep indent around the disc rather than a "ridge"

Speaking of Ridge; I agree that it fits about what you describe minus the thumbtrack.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. And thanks for the offer cfair, but gonna see if anyone I play with have any of the recommended discs before pulling the trigger.

Pigs and Rhynos are not "driver" like IMO. They're lids on steroids. I'd say look more towards XDs, Ringers, Zones, Sinus, etc.

But what you really want is a Medium Ion. ;)

Medium Ions are good, they can fly like a driver, but they definitely do not feel like one in the hand. It has a weird grip for me where it feels like I am crunching my fingers in when I need to grip it for driving. I get great results, it just feels weird.

The Ridge is also a great alternative. When thrown like a driver it has great glide, but its stability is more on the neutral side, just above a Voodoo but not as much as a Wizard or Aviar. Get the Firm if you want to maintain stability. The regular X-Link lose a little stability, not much, but they do after you have been using them for a month or so.

I thought the FLX Challenger was a nice putter. The FLX feel is hit or miss for some people, but its added grip could be a good substitute for that groove or ridged top. It is not as good for driving but it was nice and stable for putting. It also does feel on the heavier side though.

The Focus feels a lot lighter and drives really well but I found it a blah putter. It almost seemed like a short midrange.

Thought I would throw in a few other choices, but it seems the Rhyno in a non-champion plastic seems the way to go.

The Ridge is also a great alternative. When thrown like a driver it has great glide, but its stability is more on the neutral side, just above a Voodoo but not as much as a Wizard or Aviar. Get the Firm if you want to maintain stability. The regular X-Link lose a little stability, not much, but they do after you have been using them for a month or so.

Are you serious?! The Ridge "beats in" after a month? The only Vibram I've ever heard of loosing stability is the Ascent and even then its new and feedback is really out yet.

I would also be tempted to say that the Ridge is more overstable than the Wiz because of most of Vibram's products tendency to have a weird drop fade.

Agreed. It's much easier to turn over a Wizard than Ridge in my experience, and Ridge's seem to come out of an anny line easier than a Wizard would (Though I haven't extensively tested the Ridge on anny lines, just thrown a few).

Classic Roc and work the flight plate down with your thumb until it starts to get concave. Another thing I have done to make a spot for my thumb is rest the side of my laptop where the heat fan is on a disc overnight. Leave a game running and the heat and weight will make a dimple in a disc. Works great.

Clarification....I'm looking for a 'driver-like' putter mainly for the feel, not so much the purpose of driving....a bottom rim that is angled, not curved.

The list I've got, minus those that I thought didn't have the rim characteristics or stability I'm looking for (HS+LS=at least 2...or 1.5+). Also took out some that I felt were going to be too light. (let me know if any should still be included)

Pig, Rhyno, Roc
Ringer, Zones, Challenger
Ridge (maybe a VP instead?)

Re-thoughts on my part...
Forget the thumbtrack/groove.
Most plastics will be okay minus Elite-X and Star Plastic. (comments/recommendations?)

Thanks again to everyone for the input!!

Latest posts