• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Looking for a very specific FW disc

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a VERY specific FW disc and need some good suggestions. I'm looking for a FW disc that is really easy to throw pretty far, high to super high glide, and just about dead straight with a little turn and either very little fade, or none at all.

For reference, I throw my mids around 300-330 and FW discs around 330-360 or so right now, so I still haven't figured out how to throw super far yet (been working on that over the last year and a half). But it's getting a lot easier to throw in that 333-360 range with a lot less effort.

I currently have a few FW's that I love, but aren't quite what I want. I have 4 Discmania S-Line FD's, a Prodigy 750 plastic F5, and a Lat64 Goldline Maul. All of those are close to what I want, but not really. The Maul is my turnover disc. I can't throw it straight to save my life anymore. If I throw it flat and well, it goes straight for maybe 50' then starts gently turning right the entire way until it lands. Ends up WAY right from where I started it, but it's a SUPER useful disc in my bag for longer Dog leg rights where I can't throw my FH that far. And even if I throw it on a super hyzer, it still turns.

Then the F5 is super weird. It goes out 50 or so ft straight, then turns right, but then turns back left to fade kind of hard! Not what the numbers on it say. So it's more of a S shape flight, can't throw it straight to save my life. And ALWAYS has a pronounced fade of around 1.5-2. Wondering if getting this disc, but in the softer 400 or 400G plastic would help straighten it out and make it more like what I'm looking for?

Then the FD's are well worn and fly kind of straight or with a slight fade the entire way, then always fade left a fair amount at the end. I literally have to CRUSH one, to get the right flight path, where it turns a little right, then rides that forever, then fades back left. But all of my FD's (I have 4 S's and 2 C's) have a fairly pronounced fade at the end. Which is really weird as it says -1 turn/1 fade. I'd rate ALL my FD's as 7/5/0/1.5-2. They aren't a whole lot different than my Color Glow Lion FD2's. The FD's just have a tad more glide. But not 6. They're just NOT the disc they say they are for me. With numbers like 7/6/-1/1, you'd think that disc would be PERFECT for what I want, but it's not. It almost never turns right and has a fairly pronounced fade. Plus it never goes as far as I think it should.

And what I want is a FW that goes dead straight or even turns right a tad, but then stays straight, or has a super baby fade at the most. I have a Star Mako that is literally the flight path I want, but it's a Mid. If I crush it a little too hard, it just takes off and goes right and stays there. Doesn't really keep turning right, just stays on a straight line right, kind of like a line drive in baseball if that makes sense.

And if I throw it perfect, on a slight hyzer, it takes off a little right at first, then stays there the entire time, then ALWAYS has this little mini baby fade at the end of a few ft. It's the PERFECT flight path. Plus it's SO easy to throw and has really good glide and distance for a mid. The distance on that disc is effortless. It's probably my longest mid (out of 10 or so discs), and by far the easiest to throw discs in my bag.

And that's what I want out of this FW disc I'm looking for. Something that is SUPER easy to throw pretty far, but with a VERY reliable straight to ever so slight turn flight path. And little to no fade.

So the few discs I can think of by looking throw ALL the discs on Infinite Discs site that might work are:
- 400g Prodigy F5
- Any Lat64 River
- Discmania Essence
- MVP Amp
- Axiom Crave

But I'm open to other suggestions. I'm also wondering if plastics can make a huge difference here? My best guess is that a Lat64 River is EXACTLY the disc I'm looking for, but want to hear your suggestions first before I buy something. I have WAY too many discs and need to actually sell them off, haha. Thanks

Last edited:
The flight path that you are asking is one of the most difficult ones imo. The DM essence is the one I use out of the bunch for the shot you are describing. Its one of the furthest flying 8 speeds in the market.

Another great option would be the AGL Sycamore (7/5/0/1). Really straight flight with a little turn when smashed hard.

One more mold not mentioned is the TL3 from innova. I have a friend that throws it for dead straight +330ft shots. It stands up from a moderate hyzer to straight and it doesn't have any fade.

Th TL3 or even Leoprd3 could be good here, as could a Crave or even a Yikun View. All of those can do that line, but I may say that the distance the net you may not be too much longer than a midrange.

One thing to consider about this shot is that the shots shape is almost more about controlling angles and speed than anything. Personally I use a Stag for this shot and it has more turn and fade than you are looking for, but with the right amount of height and hyzer it performs it admirably.

opto saint which has crazy glide and distance and subtle turn and subtle fade it almost feels like cheating

next would be gstarrr sw which has a little moar turn than the saint but such a beautiful flight and a baby fade

you could also beat in/cycle teebirds to get that flight

My distances are about 30' or so shorter than yours but for that FW shot in my bag it's a perfectly seasoned DX teebird. Just like the mako3 I bag but longer, it gets that same surprising easy distance. I've slowly been trying to season in a star Teebird but it's noticeably more stable thus far.

The caveat to that is if you play a lot of woods golf and like to hit trees you may find they season past that sweet spot semi quickly. Not that it's any huge loss, DX discs are like $8 at the local shop.

I'm also bagging an Essence, it flies almost like that sweet spot dx bird, but it's just enough extra fast that I'm finding I have to put a little extra on it to make it stay straight (makes sense I guess being a speed 8) I'm curious to see how this one beats in, I'm hoping once broken in it'll be just like the dxtb but we'll see.

Both FD's and Rivers fly more stable for me than numbers suggest.

Explorers fly less stable than numbers suggest and give me the flight that you describe, but my favorite disc for that shot is a seasoned DX Teebird.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I have a few buddies who probably have a few of those Innova discs. So I can try them out before buying.

I'm also just going to buy a River now, that way I don't lose out on one (for some reason a LOT of good discs are all out of stock lately, and it's really hard to find one, and in a color/weight you want).

Also need to find one of those Discmania Essence discs when they are back in stock and try it out. The numbers made me think it would fly a lot like my Maul, too much turn. But after reading some more reviews, it sounds like it actually might be exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks again everyone

Consider the weight on your disc too. Example: I carry a max weight TL3 and a 168g. The 168g turns when thrown hard, but the max weight really only drifts right (rhbh) if there is a headwind. I use the 168g on tunnel shots. I throw it low and hard so it flips up and gets to the ground before it fades.

Dynamic Discs Escape is the disc you're looking for. Imo no other brand has a disc that flies like it. Extremely easy and straight distance when thrown flat with minimal turn and fade.

Try to test out a gold line Striker. It's similar to a Saint, but with less turn.

The flight you're looking for really sounds like an FD.

I have a stack of them and they are all slightly different. My swirly S-lines fly like you describe and so do my domey S-lines. Pretty much a 7/5/0/1.5.

I have some flatter S-lines in the 168-172 weight that are absolute laser beams. They don't like to be mashed on but a smooth, 80% pull on a low line thrown flat and they just cruise straight with a very slight fade when they run out of steam.

If your FD's aren't flattish S-lines you might see if you can find one to try. They really do fly pretty close to the listed numbers.

TL3. Try GStar plastic if you want some hyzer flip turn, or just Star plastic for straighter with low fade. Or get lighter weight FDs...

Last edited:
Innova Leopard (probably not champ or star plastic)
Dynamic Discs Maverick (Prime will do this from the start, but I'd get biofusion)
Innova DX Eagle will hit this spot too

I keep beating on my C-line FD, and it will just barely turn and still fade too much.

I have honestly found my Prodigy 400 F3 to fit in this slot perfectly.

It takes a bit of beating in to get there, but if you have a month and a half worth of patience, it is the disc you're looking for. The F5 is.... a lie. I cant stand them.

Another good one is the Discmania Essence. Throw it hard on a half decent Hyzer and it'll flip up to flat and stay there

My suggestions would be DX Teebird and lighter weight FD. I'd start with a DX Teebird because they're cheap and readily available, and should be exactly what you're looking for with a little wear. Then an S-Line FD in the low 160s if the Teebird doesn't cut it. I bag a 162g S-FD and for me it perfectly matches the flight you're describing. (For reference, I throw about 50 ft. shorter than you do.)

Latest posts