• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Looking for a very specific FW disc

So I'll second the AGL Sycamore. I can give it all I've got (average 340'-360' with my Stalker) and it takes all of it without flipping, but also without fading hard.

ESP Stalker: Such a slept on mold, even with 2 top FPO (PP and HK) players throwing it. My lighter (167-169)ESP will flip up and turn with a slight fade if I give it a slight hyzer and full rip. A lighter Z might also work, but the TS are some of the beefiest Stalkers I've thrown (I've thrown at least 10)

The flight you're looking for really sounds like an FD.

I have a stack of them and they are all slightly different. My swirly S-lines fly like you describe and so do my domey S-lines. Pretty much a 7/5/0/1.5.

I have some flatter S-lines in the 168-172 weight that are absolute laser beams. They don't like to be mashed on but a smooth, 80% pull on a low line thrown flat and they just cruise straight with a very slight fade when they run out of steam.

If your FD's aren't flattish S-lines you might see if you can find one to try. They really do fly pretty close to the listed numbers.

I'll have to keep an eye out next year for some super flat FD's at all the online shops. One of them (if I ask nicely) always sends me a photo of the discs I'm interested in, to see how flat or domey they are. So know that I need a flatter FD and/or lighter to get a straighter flight path is good to know. Thanks

Actually JUST found an S line FD in 150g!!! In a color I like with a sick stamp! So between that, the River I just ordered, and then trying some of these other Innova and the like discs (that some of my disc golf buddies are bound to have), I should be able to find at least 1 disc that gets me what I want!

I just hope 150g isn't TOO light. I've never thrown a disc that wasn't 175g or heavier. ALL my discs are max and wish they made them even heavier a lot of the time, haha. I was going to try and find a 160-165g FD, but NOBODY has an S line FD in that weight. It's all C line in max or close to max weight, or D line. And I HATE that plastic. The S line is one of my favorite plastics out there and especially the new Lat64 plastic that Discmania is using. As long as it isn't a roller or a disc that holds an Anhyzer line all the way to the ground (no matter what angle I throw it on, like my Goldline Maul), I'll be happy. If it has a slight turn to the right for most of the flight and just a baby fade at the very end or lazer straight the whole way, I'll be SUPER happy. It's literally the only disc/shot I have a hard time with. Shots in the woods that require a lazer straight 280-350, just never work out for me, haha. So finding a disc that can do that will help me a TON at my favorite local course I play 90% of the time. There are a lot of holes where I need that shot.

Also, there are SOO many discs out of stock these days... must be Covid shutting down production or slowing it down a lot? Really sucks, but I'm glad the companies are keeping their employees safe!

So I got the River Opto and 150g S line FD in finally. Went out this weekend to chuck them around and have a quick practice sesh and the FD definitely is interesting!

It feels SO weird at 150g, haha. Like a toy. And since the top plate is SO thin, it's not very stable feeling in my hand. But... the few throws I had with it were promising and interesting. They all went either dead straight or just kind of went right and stayed there. Maybe like 5-10' right of where I thought it would go, then just stayed there with a baby fade at the end. And a hyzer flip line would go out straight, flip to flat, then fade out left a little at the end. So that was good, but overall, the super light weight feels weird and so does the floppy thin top plate. So we'll see long term how that works out. Not sure it will, but it's something to work with for now.

And so far, I don't know about the River. I threw it like 3-4 times and none of the throws with it were great, so the flight wasn't indicative of what it actually can do probably. It seemed more or less like my normal 175g S-Line FD's. Good feeling rim, fairly domey (which I don't ever like) but not too much and comes out well. I was working on some things so most of my throws were not good, and it always seemed like the River was one of the shots that was really bad (because I was working on some form issues, not the discs problem). But one of the throws was promising! I threw it way too low, but it was zipping along dead straight for the whole flight with a baby fade at the end. I think it will be almost like my FD's, just a tiny bit more glidey and tiny bit straighter overall.

So both are good options in my bag for now, to fill that shot I'm looking for. I'm also getting more used to my Prodigy F5 in 750 Spectrum plastic. I hardly ever throw it, because usually it has this odd S shaped flight. Which it shouldn't! It should actually just leak out to the right the entire flight, and then have a baby fade at the end with the numbers it has 7/5/-2/1. But instead it has a very pronounced fade at the end and when thrown well, has a fairly large S shape flight path? Like it thinks it's a Innova Tern or something, haha. But lately, I've been trying to throw it more to get used to it, and it's coming alive now! My form is still not great and having a SUPER hard time figuring out how to throw properly after two years of this silly sport with tons of practice. But... I am getting more distance with less effort the last few months and when I really get a heavier feeling throw on the F5, it really zings out there and the flight path is more in line with what I want. When I throw it really well, it's like a 7/5.5/-1/.5 The EXACT disc I'm looking for! Tiny push out right, but straight, then just sort of fades a few ft at the VERY VERY end and overall, ends up dead straight! So I think working on my form and just getting better will make that disc my favorite for this shot, and in the mean time, I'll have the River and 150g FD to use!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help!

I been using my green proto f3 for this since they came out. In the past I have used a beat champ and star teebird, champ FD, z zombie, champ eagle, evo diablo, champ and pro leopard. Basically it is best to just try as many molds as you can. Not every run of disc is the same that is why I have 5 or 6 green proto f3's. Try out friends or beat up some slightly overstable drivers.

Latest posts