• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for beginner driver

topdawgy58

Par Member
I just finsh my first round and I think my drivers are to heavy for my throws.
This is what I have in my bag. Innova champion sidewinder 174 g, discaft Crush weight unknown, star shark mid range 172 g. discraft z putter.
The only one I can really throw is the zputter. Well I am going to try to practice some more. I am a older guy 50 , so I hope to throw a driver disk 200yds someday. If you have any suggestions or have a disk for sale let me know. :eek:

I started with a 150 DX valkyrie and it took me a while to get used to it, Then I got a mid weight (164 Star) Valkyrie and it improved my game a ton!! I would recomend a high 50's low 60's valkyrie or tee bird (Champion or star)

Dude,check out a champ beast. Fun,fun disc and easy to control at least for me anyway,everyone's different. Glad to see you like the game man! :) Another rook.

I'm 52 and started throwing 6 months ago. Try an archangel in a lighter weight to learn the flight characteristics of golf discs. You've no doubt noticed they don't fly like the frisbees of our youth. Valkyrie and beast have also become 2 of my favorite drivers. 200 yards is a helluva goal to set for yourself, not many people can reach 600'.
Your gonna LOVE this game, I guarantee it!

i started out with a stratus x and its a pretty light disc so its easy to get the hang of it. most everybody i've played with have started out with lighter discs and moved up to heavier ones once they have learned to throw so maybe that will help

Dude,check out a champ beast. Fun,fun disc and easy to control at least for me anyway,everyone's different. Glad to see you like the game man! :) Another rook.

I strongly disagree. The Champ Beast can be overstable for beginers. My nephew is a beginer and he is best with his LS Polaris. I say get a 150-160 Polaris. Also, hit the practice field more than the course. Practice you throws over and over. If you do that, you will be happier on the course.

I would say just stick with your putter and the shark you already have. The Shark is a good stable midrange and should be a good disc to learn on, unless you just want to buy another disc. If so I think a lot of people would also point you to a Leopard, Cheetah, or even a Teebird.

I'd recommend sticking with your shark and once you get the technique down, step up to the drivers.

200 yards will be a world record throw for someone your age (or even 5 years younger). You could win most pro open distance competitions, even if the top guns are there, with a throw like that, too. I'd guess that 98% of disc golfers can't throw 400' with any accuracy. I don't want to discourage you, but sometimes it's nice to have more reasonable expectations. ;)

The Polaris LS is a good recommendation. I also like the DX Cheetah and DX Ace. Anything from 165-170g should work fine. Those discs are easy to control, slower drivers. They're much easier to learn with than your current discs. The Sidewinder will probably be hard to control for now and the Crush will be very difficult to control. It will most likely act very overstable for you at first.

The Shark is good. Unless you're looking to buy more discs I'd just stick with that for now.

I'm not a fan of the Putt'r. If you're new to disc sports in general it's not a bad idea to mess around with it (it's great for playing catch), but it will be terrible in any sort of wind and not stable enough for most approaches. I'd recommend a Gateway Wizard or Warlock, Innova Aviar Driver or Discraft Challenger or Banger.

My son is a beginner driver. He's only got his learner's permit. But we live in NC, so we may be too far away from you! :D

Learn to throw your Shark really well first. Throw only a Shark for 3 months and what you learn in skill will more than make up for the lost distance.

After you've learned to throw the Shark then a light weight Cheetah, Archangel, or Leopard, 150-165 g, would be a good driver to try.

^ Nice triple post Olo! Now I see how to get the post count up to 800 or so.:)

I am 54 this month and I started out heavy too. Trade a fellow disc golfer for some lighter discs.
Get yourself a 160 beast and practice on some slow -S-'s. Backhand throw tip up to the right and let it S back to the left ( assuming you are right handed). Gradually increase your speed and power and you will learn to throw it flat and with enough power to make it go right.

If it was me just starting I would want someone to give me an Avenger SS 168. That is the easiest disc to turn over in my bag. Easier than my 161 Roc.

Oh, and stay away from Champion plastic too. It dies too hard to the left for beginners.

I think a Beast is a bit overstable for a beginner thrower. That happened to be the first disc I bought when I picked up the sport 3 years ago. I ended up trading it to a buddy for a Leopard. At that time my technique was still being tweaked and my power was no where near what it is now. The switch to the Leopard worked out well. Now I can put more power behind my throws and my technique is much more consistent that throwing a Beast or a Wraith or something along those lines has become more feasible. So going back to my original point, I would recommend starting off with a midweight Leopard or other fairway driver and then working my way up to the distance drivers such as the Beast.

I would also recommend a Polcat for a putter. My friend is not that great of a putter, and the Polcat has really lowered his scores.

I would also recommend a Polcat for a putter. My friend is not that great of a putter, and the Polcat has really lowered his scores.

I agree with the Polecat being a great beginner putter and even a good putter for more advanced players. My buddy has his putting down from outside 25 feet. He started with the Polecat and used it for the longest time. As of late he has been working with the Star Aviar, but he still highly recommends the Polecat.

Latest posts