• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for discs

Almost_Gets

I don't know where to put this post.

I was wondering if anyone else, while playing, looks for discs on the course. Maybe it's my rollover from playing ball golf. However, the course closest to me seems pretty difficult and I typically find one disc a round there in the summer and fall. It became such a regular occurrence that I started to hide a giant "walking stick" sort of thing, for lack of a better explanation near the first hole. I would use it to move the grass around, and get tics.

Anyone else do this? Does anyone else take a "utensil" or tool with? I was wondering if I should get a hiking pole or ski pole, but I don't think they would hold up to the thick grasses.

For the record, if your name is on the disc, I call you or text you. Otherwise, I ask the next few groups, however, they're typically not that many out there, if they lost any discs.

I'm on the fairway too much! Lol my local courses here get a ton of traffic haven't found a disc in a long time. I did however just find three with the snow melting.

I used to go looking for discs but well I'd rather spend the time playing!

I have lost 2 discs over the past year. Most times since then, when I play the holes I lost a disc on.....I will prowl around and look for them awhile. I honestly think that they must have been found by now. My name and # are on both discs.....but no phone call.

I have a hiking pole I use to mark my "tee pad edge" on the practice field, to throw behind. I let my 7 y/o use it to look for discs under leaves and such when he is with me on the course. I am always worried he will find a snake - so far, 0 snakes & 0 discs! We have not played in the summer yet, but as it warms up, I am going to halt this activity, until next winter, or until he starts to take more interest in throwing than disc searching.

I don't know where to put this post.

I was wondering if anyone else, while playing, looks for discs on the course. Maybe it's my rollover from playing ball golf. However, the course closest to me seems pretty difficult and I typically find one disc a round there in the summer and fall. It became such a regular occurrence that I started to hide a giant "walking stick" sort of thing, for lack of a better explanation near the first hole. I would use it to move the grass around, and get tics.

Anyone else do this? Does anyone else take a "utensil" or tool with? I was wondering if I should get a hiking pole or ski pole, but I don't think they would hold up to the thick grasses.

For the record, if your name is on the disc, I call you or text you. Otherwise, I ask the next few groups, however, they're typically not that many out there, if they lost any discs.

Absolutely! I'm usually over in the brush off the fairway anyhow, so if I've got time and the course isn't busy and nobody's waiting on me, I'll prowl around in the hopes of finding some plastic. And hopefully with no name or number on it! :)

Finding discs is too much work to go out of my way to find them. Calling people and making arrangements to get disc back can be somewhat time consuming. I find plenty looking for mine already.

Shout out to Nemmers!

I call it "Treasure Hunting". Lokking for a disc, even if you haven't lost one.
There is a down side, however.
Right now I have 6 discs that I have found, called, and talked with the owner. They're supposed to call me when they get back on the course to get their disc back (we have a lot of visitors to my home course).
They'll probably rot in my truck box while waiting for their out-of-town owner to claim them.
I'll still keep calling the owner of each disc I find with a number, because that's how I'd want someone to treat my disc if they found it.

It seems like the people that find discs and call the owner never get a response. And people that lose discs with their name and number never get called back.

If i make a bad throw that ventures into the woods I'll keep an eye out for anything else that i may see. Really, I've had better luck finding discs left laying there on the fairway. Found a brand new champion Katana one morning like that, along with two DX cobras in the same manner, as well as a Wizard putter. All without ink or anything. I stayed around for about 15 minutes practicing putts while watching the area to see if the owner would return to look. No one ever came.

On the course i play the most me and a few friends will often swim the creek in an effort to retrieve a lost disc of ours, and usually we'll come up with quite a bit of other folks discs. Surprisingly the majority of them are uninked. The ones that we can read we call and give back. Heck a good bit of em belong to folks we often play with.

Last edited:
its always **** discs i dont throw anyways. i honestly cant remember the last time i found something that i throw. its not worth it for me

I always look for discs on the course. But this is really only a cursory search where I am looking around as I am walking to my disc. Same thing applies to walking along a water hazard. I will only really do a thorough search when looking for my own. This past weekend I found four other discs doing this and of course none of them are mine. Only one had a name and number on it. That fella told me to keep it since he lives too far away.

-Dave

I help my club dredge discs out of the pond. We gather them up, call the owners, and pickup is gratis. Most discs are beat to death DX Archangels and Beasts. But last year I pulled an 11x Eagle out of the lake, no name, no number. Well, I wasn't about to leave it laying on the shore, or something. :)

I guess I am pretty lucky. For a long time most of the discs in my bag were found. A Boss, 4 Wraiths (I have found three, the one in my bag was technically found by my wife - one of them actually has a 2005 Augusta Worlds stamp that is almost entirely rubbed off), Leopard, Beasts, Valkyries, Champ Rhyno, first run Destroyer (I think that is what it is anyway), Orcs, a Gator, the list goes on. I have thrown most of the discs I have found and many have found their way into my bag over the years. I have recently gotten several discs through player's packs or gifts so less of my bag is found discs, but I still have a lot of those discs for when I take beginners to the course for the first time.

I always keep my eyes open for lost discs, either to get them back to their owner if inked or to give them a new home if they are not inked.

i don't look for discs but if i see one i'll pick it up and try to contact the owner.

I generally play in a group of 5-8 people which allows me to wander about a little and scour for discs. I also dredge the local pond and always return discs with names/numbers. Discs without names and numbers get sold to fund my addiction to DG.

If I see a disc hiding in the woods I usually leave it on or in the nearest basket. My bag is full and I don't feel like jamming extra discs in there. Plus it's a hassle to call and try to coordinate returning lost discs. I say that because I have returned dozens over the years and unless I know the person it has been a hassle.

I have sticks "hidden" on the water holes on my home course. I usually rest them up against trees that have a vine wrapped around it. I usually find a disc every round I play. That's how I built my bag. Call the ones with numbers, and if it's a disc I am curious about I usually throw it a few times to see if I like the mold, then purchase one. Most of the ones I find don't have names or numbers so they end up in my bag or my son's.