• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Looking for Max Distance Headwind Driver

I have a 171 star boss that holds against the wind beautifully. I stopped throwing high speed stuff recently and went back to 9-11 speed discs with the exception of my boss for big hyzer shots and for windy days. I've thrown a Vulcan in a headwind screwing around, really trying to launch it, it just turned in to a roller that came back just about even with the tee pad about 200 feet to the right. It was pretty comical how fast it was rolling right back to me. We estimated that it went out about 250 feet before hitting the ground and rolling back.

Throwing a meat hook into wind isn't going to get you much distance, better off throwing something like a Boss or Outlaw that turns, add hyzer to the release and let them flip to flat and ride out.

Throwing a meat hook into wind isn't going to get you much distance, better off throwing something like a Boss or Outlaw that turns, add hyzer to the release and let them flip to flat and ride out.

Agree. But, the key for me is that the disc is predictably overstable when throwing into a head wind. Then you can adjust release angle by judging the wind.

Personally, I struggle with discs like Katanas, Wraiths and Bosses into HWs. I can't predict what they are going to do no matter what angle I release. Most likely operator error. I've had good luck with discs like Eagles, Destroyers and T-birds for whatever reason.

A very important factor when you are choosing a driver for headwinds is the dome. A flat, fast driver will cut through winds much easier and will not get as severe of glide when the wind does grab it.

Ok, so I am wondering the advantages and disadvantages of going with a slower very overstable disc like xxx or firebird vs a faster overstableish disc like a boss. It can get pretty windy where I am and I don't trust any of my discs into a headwind. The best I have at the moment is a 168 teedevil and it is a little too understable for me in a major headwind. ANy anhyzer, and it is going right. And my 159 boss, though a distance machine in calmer conditions, doesn't like a major headwind. I am leaning towards a 170 Boss at the moment unless someone can talk me out of it. In calm conditions 159 g boss is perfect for me. 170 would be too stable. but, with a strong headwind, I am thinking it would be perfect. Any thoughts?

A heavier Boss is likely the best solution, however...........

I threw a few 159 Bosses as my go distance drivers for a season, but always struggled with them when a headwind presented itself. I switched to a 159 Air VIP Giant and haven't looked back since. They'll handle headwind well and aren't so beefy that you lose distance.

This is a weird discussion.. Hopefully will help choose the right disc.

Think of your disc like an airplane. An airplane has air speed and ground speed. If your airplane was flying over a car and keeping pace, the airplane and the car would have the same ground speed.

However, the air speed for the airplane could be very different. If its flying in to a 30mph headwind, the air speed of the airplane is 30mph faster than the ground speed.

If you want your shots to be as predictable as possible, and as similar to your non-wind-affected shots as possible, disc up accordingly.

If you know you have to put X power in to disc A to get the distance, shape and line you want in normal conditions and you're throwing in to a headwind, pick up disc B that takes [headwind speed] more power to get the distance, shape and line you want.

This is a weird discussion.. Hopefully will help choose the right disc.

Think of your disc like an airplane. An airplane has air speed and ground speed. If your airplane was flying over a car and keeping pace, the airplane and the car would have the same ground speed.

However, the air speed for the airplane could be very different. If its flying in to a 30mph headwind, the air speed of the airplane is 30mph faster than the ground speed.

If you want your shots to be as predictable as possible, and as similar to your non-wind-affected shots as possible, disc up accordingly.

If you know you have to put X power in to disc A to get the distance, shape and line you want in normal conditions and you're throwing in to a headwind, pick up disc B that takes [headwind speed] more power to get the distance, shape and line you want.

Although I don't disagree with your premise, the one flaw is that as rim size goes up, my accuracy & consistent release goes down.

For me, a 2.0 rim is pushing it. Anything past and although I can get some added distance the accuracy is down significantly. In the wind - I want accuracy and control more than ever as a tiny bit off on an angle can have major implications.

Learn to throw your faster discs into headwinds, or sacrifice distance for the control of an overstable Speed 9/11

World Eater: Great answer. This is about the best I have seen this concept put into words.

Something fairly neutral is usually your best bet. Something that doesn't turn over, but doesn't fade right out of the hand either. A mythically straight Teebird would be perfect.

For me, that's an Eagle and Hurricane. (Hurricane flies just like a non-OS Destroyer.)

Something fairly neutral is usually your best bet. Something that doesn't turn over, but doesn't fade right out of the hand either. A mythically straight Teebird would be perfect.

For me, that's an Eagle and Hurricane. (Hurricane flies just like a non-OS Destroyer.)
That kind of tandem works best for me too. My domey *destroyer is beat to perfection.

Bought a 168g Boss. The 168g Teedevil I have is juuuust a bit too understable for the crazy windy corn field Midwestern days we have around here. It works great for medium headwinds. So I think adding a little bit of speed with the Boss should do the trick for extra windy days. I want max distance and am willing to sacrifice "accuracy" for that. I can always work on accuracy with the boss but adding distance to a slower meat hook might not be all that practical. we'll see though. My 156g boss couldn't have flown more differently than my 159g. The 156 flipped in all conditions, the 159 is very hard to turn over except in strong winds. Hopefully I get a stable Boss. They seem to be hit or miss.

... Giant, if that's too meat hook for you step down to a boatman, or try a mac weight tesla depending on what size rim you want, none of those discs will turn in the wind at least not in my experience

I played in wind that turned over my 175g champ Boss the other day- so I purchased a Stiletto. Holy crap is that thing overstable.

I played in wind that turned over my 175g champ Boss the other day- so I purchased a Stiletto. Holy crap is that thing overstable.

As far a distance drivers go, there's a fine line as to what holds in a head wind and what doesn't. When you find the disc that fades as much or slightly more than it turns, there's your starting point. That disc, (speed will vary by player) flexed hard, tends to be functional as your longest disc with the most fade outside of wind and personally, I bag it at all times. From there, you only need the slightest step up in HSS in the same speed to fade past the line of release in a head wind. However, I find the latter disc a waste of space and weight to carry without a strong wind in play.

Latest posts