• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Looking for midrange/approach that works at 60-80% power

Marshall St has a lot of 174-175 jawbreaker zones. I like jawbreaker a lot (except in the dust) but I'll say this, between my zflx zone and the jawbreaker, the zflx stuck the landings better. I just lost my zflx zone a few days ago and I'm using a z-zone that I had in its place and I don't really like it, but it flies truer to OOTB than the jawbreaker. On the other hand, if you really want something that sticks, consider Daredevil's Elastic Performance discs. The more I think about it, the more I think you might like a Daredevil Walrus. Elastic Performance is soft... think white plastic eraser soft... and you might be really put off by it. But it sticks landings. The walrus flies stable, but not crazy overstable. The flight chart makes it look like it's a zone, but it's more like a beat in zone. All of their elastic performance discs (my experience is with the woodchuck, ogopogo, walrus) do best when not thrown at medium power. The walrus powers down very well and you get a lot more glide at low power than you do with a zone.
Caveat emptor: If you hit any part of a tree with elastic performance, it will likely die right there. Like teeny tiny twigs have profound impact on EP discs while a harder plastic will cut right through. On the other hand, that harder plastic will roll

IOne thing I don't understand is how people can say they throw putters for every shot under 300ft. I am almost assuredly positive if I were to put a power grip on a putter, it'd turn over after 150 ft.

I bought a Mako3 once. It was the straightest midrange I ever threw even when I didn't want it to go straight. Like I couldn't get it fade when I threw it over 100 ft.

This sounds like there is some correctable form/grip/technique issue. Putters can take a good amount of power, well over 150 feet, and still fly stable. Same thing with a Mako3; yes it is a very straight flying disc but you should be able to get it to fade at short distances.

Marshall St has a lot of 174-175 jawbreaker zones. I like jawbreaker a lot (except in the dust) but I'll say this, between my zflx zone and the jawbreaker, the zflx stuck the landings better. I just lost my zflx zone a few days ago and I'm using a z-zone that I had in its place and I don't really like it, but it flies truer to OOTB than the jawbreaker. On the other hand, if you really want something that sticks, consider Daredevil's Elastic Performance discs. The more I think about it, the more I think you might like a Daredevil Walrus. Elastic Performance is soft... think white plastic eraser soft... and you might be really put off by it. But it sticks landings. The walrus flies stable, but not crazy overstable. The flight chart makes it look like it's a zone, but it's more like a beat in zone. All of their elastic performance discs (my experience is with the woodchuck, ogopogo, walrus) do best when not thrown at medium power. The walrus powers down very well and you get a lot more glide at low power than you do with a zone.
Caveat emptor: If you hit any part of a tree with elastic performance, it will likely die right there. Like teeny tiny twigs have profound impact on EP discs while a harder plastic will cut right through. On the other hand, that harder plastic will roll

I've got to say although I never heard of daredevil discs, they sound to be a good match for me. I'm looking for videos and threads about their discs (specifically midranges) but I am not finding much info on how they fly. For instance the Grizzly (4/4/0/2), Moose (4/5/0/2), and Walrus (4/5/0/3) all are just about the same ratings. Kinda wondering why they made 3 discs all so similar. However since you seem to be knowledgeable on this brand, do you have any insight to the differences between these 3 models?

Having a midrange that stops in its tracks sounds very appealing. Having that ability makes me think I could knock off potentially 1 or 2 shots per round. I see hitting a tree kills the flight but in most cases when I hit a tree on approach it takes an additional shot anyway, so that does not concern me too much

Disclaimer—haven't thrown all these options mentioned above.

For mid, I have been playing with DD Truth, and slightly longer Escape. Both are straight and level with nice glide IMO.

I've got to say although I never heard of daredevil discs, they sound to be a good match for me. I'm looking for videos and threads about their discs (specifically midranges) but I am not finding much info on how they fly. For instance the Grizzly (4/4/0/2), Moose (4/5/0/2), and Walrus (4/5/0/3) all are just about the same ratings. Kinda wondering why they made 3 discs all so similar. However since you seem to be knowledgeable on this brand, do you have any insight to the differences between these 3 models?

Having a midrange that stops in its tracks sounds very appealing. Having that ability makes me think I could knock off potentially 1 or 2 shots per round. I see hitting a tree kills the flight but in most cases when I hit a tree on approach it takes an additional shot anyway, so that does not concern me too much

Daredevil took a very unique approach to their disc molds. Their philosophy is that a particular mold can fly very differently based on the plastic type used and weight.
For example, their fairway driver lineup is:
Swift Fox
Timberwolf
Wolverine

It's the same mold, but the swift fox is only offered in Grip Performance plastic and light weights in the 155-160 range. It is the most understable of the three.
The timberwolf is in the mid 160's to the low 170's and is only offered in Flex Performance plastic and flies a lot more stable/neutral.
The wolverine is only in the 170's and is only offered in High Performance plastic and is the most OS of the three.

They did something similar with their OS drivers. The mammoth, buffalo, ogopogo, and sabertooth are the same disc, different plastic and weight.

Here's their flight chart, but take it with a grain of salt. They advertise significantly more OS than they really fly.

I don't know what other discs share the walrus mold, as it was PDGA approved on a date that is shared with the Great Horned Owl, and they aren't similar.

Here's a video of Nikko throwing some daredevil putters and mids. He doesn't throw the EP stuff tho.

I have each of the three Elastic Performance molds that Daredevil makes: the Woodchuck, the Walrus, and the Ogopogo.

I used to swear by the woodchuck. It flies very straight for me and even if I really try to crank it, it holds straight. My problem with trying to use it as a throwing putter is that I couldn't get a good grip on it because it was so flexible. But nothing hits the ground and dies like it.

I used the walrus for only a very short time. It wasn't as overstable as I thought it was going to be, and it had a lot more glide than I expected. Neither of these were bad, and I think it's an awesome disc to fling lightly, and if folks would give it a fair go, I think a lot of people would love what they can do with it. Like the woodchuck, it absorbs impacts nicely and doesn't stray far from impact.

I bought the ogopogo just because, and I really never had that much of a use for it until I used in place of an OS mid one time and realized that it's really good in that slot. It skips way less than a fairway driver, is way more OS than any mid I have, and generally flops and dies which makes it great for spike hyzers and grenades. But recently, I have it in with my putters... not that I would putt with it, but because it's a freaky OS disc with crazy good grip and can pull off some of the craziest lines at low power and still generally bounce and die if it lands on edge, as opposed to roll away to oblivion like most OS driver utility discs would do. Of course, every time I announce that I'm going to make my ogopogo do something fancy and freakish and die, it rolls. But I'm convinced that it rolls less than if I would have used my machete instead :)

Sorry, I didn't think that would go on so long, my bad. Some of my all time favorite discs are Daredevil tho.

Latest posts