• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for some advice on new discs

nmh5028

I started playing disc golf about a month ago, and I am finally able to throw consistent lines and understand how the discs I have will act. I am looking for 1, maybe 2 more discs to complement what I already have, but I am not quite sure which way to go. I currently have the Innova starter set, which includes a 150 Leopard, 150 Shark, and 150 Aviar P&A. I can usually throw the Leopard around 250' if it is not windy.

I have been doing a lot of reading and I was thinking about getting a Teebird to go with my Leopard. I also need something that will be better in a headwind, as 4 holes on my local course typically play directly into the wind. Is the Teebird a good choice to add some distance as well as play in the wind? Or should I be picking up 2 new discs?

What you may wish to do is try heavier weights. Don't go crazy, but those same discs, in a 167-168 range would help you with control. You could even consider a 170-172 putter weight and work on driving with it. After some adjustment and practice, the Leopard should go over 300+ no problem. Keep it simple, you don't need 20 discs.

But to answer your wind disc question, a Teebird would be a nice addition. It will handle some headwind (especially at your current distance) and become a staple main driver in your bag for some time.

I would stay away from very overstable discs right now. While they do handle the headwinds very well, they can also hide form/grip/release issues that will hurt you down the road. Focus on good form and distance and accuracy will come.

BTW, the Teebird-Leopard combination is a popular one...

Sounds like the Teebird is the way to go, but I have another question. A friend gave me a somewhat new 165 DX Valkyrie. Will this fit into my arsenal or is it something that I don't need?

I agree with moving up in weight with the Leopard 170ish. And the Teebird too. Also 165-170g

Get a Buzzz too. The Leopard and the Buzzz gave me the best improvement in the beginning.

I'd definitely get a heavier putter. Especially with windy conditions.

I was going to advise you to check out the valkyrie. It can be a beginner friendly driver once you improve a little. Sounds like you are off to the right start. I'd also suggest to pick up a heavier putter as others recommended.

Sounds like the Teebird is the way to go, but I have another question. A friend gave me a somewhat new 165 DX Valkyrie. Will this fit into my arsenal or is it something that I don't need?

Good disc to have. I would hang onto it, but save it for a while. Work out some fundementals first with the slower discs. Once you get some more of the basics down, that Valk will have a place in your bag as your first distance driver.

What you may wish to do is try heavier weights. Don't go crazy, but those same discs, in a 167-168 range would help you with control. You could even consider a 170-172 putter weight and work on driving with it. After some adjustment and practice, the Leopard should go over 300+ no problem. Keep it simple, you don't need 20 discs.

But to answer your wind disc question, a Teebird would be a nice addition. It will handle some headwind (especially at your current distance) and become a staple main driver in your bag for some time.

I would stay away from very overstable discs right now. While they do handle the headwinds very well, they can also hide form/grip/release issues that will hurt you down the road. Focus on good form and distance and accuracy will come.

BTW, the Teebird-Leopard combination is a popular one...
I was about to type all this stuff but toothyfish already did.

Teebirds and Valks would be great discs to start using that you'll keep for a long long time.

Definitely get a heavier Leopard. It's such a great disc, especially for beginners. I've been playing for about 9-10 months, and my Leopard is my main driver. Sticking with one disc instead of buying everything in sight will help you master your form and throws, and then you can branch out into new discs.

Of course, buying plastic is crazy addictive.

I started playing disc golf about a month ago, and I am finally able to throw consistent lines and understand how the discs I have will act. I am looking for 1, maybe 2 more discs to complement what I already have, but I am not quite sure which way to go. I currently have the Innova starter set, which includes a 150 Leopard, 150 Shark, and 150 Aviar P&A. I can usually throw the Leopard around 250' if it is not windy.

I have been doing a lot of reading and I was thinking about getting a Teebird to go with my Leopard. I also need something that will be better in a headwind, as 4 holes on my local course typically play directly into the wind. Is the Teebird a good choice to add some distance as well as play in the wind? Or should I be picking up 2 new discs?

well....a teebird is a great decision, id say go with one in the 165-170g range. however its not always to consistent in the wind...imo. a banshee would be good addition as well to cover the windy conditions portion, go with 170g+. or you could go with the one disc option and get an Eagle-X (165-170). thats a good inbetween of the teebird and banshee. now if you arnt the brand loyal type a cyclone(165-170) would also be a great choice. i do not suggest getting max weight discs. if you move up from 150g to max right away you will lose a good start your form. move up in weight slowly.

Of course, buying plastic is crazy addictive.

I can see how it can get addicting very quickly after all of the suggestions that I've had. I don't want to jump into buying too many discs at once before I really learn the ins and outs of each one individually, so lets try to simplify this a little bit...

My current setup:
165 DX Valkyrie
150 DX Leopard
150 DX Shark
150 DX Aviar

I'm looking for 2 discs that will benefit me the most as far as adding more versatility to my game, and something that I can throw in a headwind without much trouble.

Recommendations:
165-170 Teebird
167-168 Leopard
165-170 Eagle X
165-170 Banshee
165-170 Cyclone
"Heavier" Putter

If you were to pick 2 of these that would benefit me the most, which would they be? And how heavy should I look for a "heavier" putter?

I was going to advise you to check out the valkyrie. It can be a beginner friendly driver once you improve a little. Sounds like you are off to the right start. I'd also suggest to pick up a heavier putter as others recommended.

I agree with moving up in weight with the Leopard 170ish. And the Teebird too. Also 165-170g

Get a Buzzz too. The Leopard and the Buzzz gave me the best improvement in the beginning.

I'd definitely get a heavier putter. Especially with windy conditions.

sounds good...heavier disc and TeeBird or Valkryie are good disc for all different kinds of shots.

I'm looking for 2 discs that will benefit me the most as far as adding more versatility to my game, and something that I can throw in a headwind without much trouble.

Recommendations:
165-170 Teebird
167-168 Leopard
165-170 Eagle X
165-170 Banshee
165-170 Cyclone
"Heavier" Putter

If you were to pick 2 of these that would benefit me the most, which would they be? And how heavy should I look for a "heavier" putter?

If I had to pick 2 out of those, I'd pick a 168-170 ESP Cyclone (slower Eagle X and a versatile Fairway driver), and a 170+ Ion or Aviar/Wizard/Voodoo/whatever but basically an overstable mid that can pull some midrange approach duties too.

Recommendations:
165-170 Teebird
167-168 Leopard
165-170 Eagle X
165-170 Banshee
165-170 Cyclone
"Heavier" Putter

well, since you added the valkyrie id say the cyclone or eagle-x (pick one of them they are essentially the same). this will cover the wind issues.
the putter is a touchy subject. it is arguable that a putter is the most personal disc a person has. if you like the feel of the aviar and the way it putts then go with that one at 170+. the light weight putters are to easily manipulated by environmental conditions. dont change your putter mold if you dont feel that theres anything wrong with your putting. it will send you through a non-stop cycle of trying to find the "right" putter. you already have one ;)
these would be the two discs i would go with. dont worry about upgrading the leopard to a heavier weight. in the future i would get a heavier leopard and shark. 150 class has its place but its not as versatile in all conditions.

Last edited:
I'm gonna suggest a 170+ DX or KC Pro Roc. at your power level it will be pretty stable and fight a wind better than what you have. It's a true multi-purpose disc. a heavier shark is also a good disc but it's still no Roc. I would also suggest a 170+ KC Pro Aviar. you can also use that one as a stable driver. if i had to do it all over again i would skip the starter pack (I bought the same one you did) and just get a Roc or Buzzz or Comet and a Challenger. but yeah a KCP Roc and Aviar are actually all you'll really need for a while. a Comet is also a really useful disc.

So after a lot of consideration and browsing, I ended up with the following setup:

Distance Driver:
165 DX Valkyrie (haven't really tried it much yet)

Fairway Drivers:
150 DX Leopard
165 DX Teebird
170 Champion Teebird X-out

Mids:
166 DX Roc
150 DX Shark (not using much since I got the Roc)

Putters:
172 KC Aviar
150 DX Aviar (not really using it anymore)

I was considering picking up a 165-168 Champion Leopard (probably x-out) to replace the 150 because I really like the feel of the Champ Teebird that I got. I also considered taking the Shark and 150 Aviar out of the bag because, from what I've seen so far, the Roc is very similar but more controllable for me, and I am much better with the KC Aviar. Am I overlooking anything important in the bag as it is now?

1. The 165 Valkyrie is a great addition. Throw it and love it.

2. Keep in mind that as with any internet forum on any subject, there is a bias on the boards. I'm not saying that anybody is incorrect, but just take it with a grain of salt.

Specifically:

You don't need 3 Teebirds off the bat, throw one and if you like it, keep it. If not, **** it.

You don't need to worry about speed 9 discs like the Valkyrie or Sidewinder being not good for you. If someone is saying a speed 9 is too fast but a speed 7 is just right - they're probably BS'ing or at least exaggerating. Take the principle of the advice - you'll probably get frustrated with a Nuke or Boss - but it's opinion not law.

---

The biggest piece of advice from me personally - don't buy discs online yet, or at least go feel them in a store first. Hold the different weights, plastics, and molds. Go with what is comfortable and in the ballpark of a beginner disc while you're learning.

My go-to story is I hated Roc's at first, because the beads ripped my fingers up. I threw only beadless discs for the first 3-4 months until I learned a bit better how to throw properly.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the game!

The only reason I picked up 2 Teebirds is that the course near my house which I will be playing a lot when I get home from college has 2 holes that are over water. I figured that the Teebird/Leopard combo would be my primary drivers until I can throw the Valk, so I wanted a DX version to throw on those holes.

The only reason I picked up 2 Teebirds is that the course near my house which I will be playing a lot when I get home from college has 2 holes that are over water. I figured that the Teebird/Leopard combo would be my primary drivers until I can throw the Valk, so I wanted a DX version to throw on those holes.

Yeah gotta have some water discs :)

I just mean don't let people push you to a disc if you aren't comfortable with it. You're gonna be the one throwing it, ya know?

Also if you can throw the Leopard straight (not just hyzer-stall-out) you can throw the Valk. It might have some fade at the end, depending on where you're at, but it's an easy disc to learn and love.

I have been throwing the Leopard really well (slight right turn to flat with a small fade at the end) to about 225' average, and I can throw it past the basket on the downwind 250' hole on the local course here. I haven't tried the Valk because there aren't really any long holes that don't play directly into the wind at the course I have been playing. I'm waiting for a day when either it isn't so windy or there is nobody on the course so I can throw it without worrying about going too far.