• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Looking for Stable to slightly overstable midrange

The wasp I tried was a bigZ. EMac Truth could fit the bill if I get it in OptoX. Shark3 also caught my interest in champ plastic. I didn't find my wasp that glidey.

I haven't thrown that Big Z Wasp you're mentioning, but I believe it was a Ledgestone release (2020?) and those all tend to be max weight and quite OS. I suspect the Hammes Wasp is pretty OS too. That sometimes sacrifices glide. The Wasp thread would have more info.

I think you might benefit from a plain ol' Z Wasp and it might be exactly what your original post was looking for.

Z Wasp at SunKing discs

Z Wasp at Marshall Street

All these are pretty heavy, but the standard Z shouldn't be quite as OS as that special release Big Z.

I just completed my 2nd bag of discs, and noticed I have a small gap in its assortment of speeds and stabilities. I initially filled out most of my midrange lineup with Buzzz's (2 esp of varying weights, 1 Z)

Turns out these Buzzz's are a little more flippy than intended. My previous bag had a rather beefy Z-Line Buzzz, which flew like a 5/4/0/1.5, but the Z Buzzz in my newest bag flies more like a 5/4/0/1 or maybe even 5/4/0/.5.

I'm after something that's just a little more overstable, but not quite in the realm of Buzzz OS. Something that's beefy, but slightly more mellow than a 0/2 kind of flight.

For reference, I have tried the Wasp, which I feel too overstable for this slot, and the EMac Truth, which I feel might not be stable enough.

Any suggestions?

A more mellow Wasp could be a Roc3 I figure, probably in jolly launcher.

Can't recommend this one per se as I haven't actually thrown one, but I imagine the Lion might be a good choice too.

MD3?

Emac Truth too fast.

I haven't thrown that Big Z Wasp you're mentioning, but I believe it was a Ledgestone release (2020?) and those all tend to be max weight and quite OS. I suspect the Hammes Wasp is pretty OS too. That sometimes sacrifices glide. The Wasp thread would have more info.

I think you might benefit from a plain ol' Z Wasp and it might be exactly what your original post was looking for.

Z Wasp at SunKing discs

All these are pretty heavy, but the standard Z shouldn't be quite as OS as that special release Big Z.

Thanks for the info!

Z Wasp at SunKing discs

If you can find a max wt with a bit of a shoulder/dome you'd be alright, otherwise I'd go closer to 173ish and flat for a more mellow Z Wasp. I do by the way recommend not giving up on Wasps if you can, they are quite good and slot right in next to a buzzz.

I'd say champion Roc3. They definitely don't turn like a Buzzz, and fade a little harder late. This is NOT what I'd consider an overstable mid, but it also isn't going to flip or drift right randomly. The Roc3 kicked the Buzzz out of my bag a couple years ago.

If you want to go a little beefier, try a Buzzz OS or a Malta. Those two are legit overstable. As mentioned, the Wasp is another worth looking at.

Last edited:
Yeah I have no reason to use a Buzzz OS or Malta, because my Zone takes up that slot. Champ Roc3 seems to be getting the most recommendations so I'll definitely look into it. How many people have tried a Champ Shark3 and can they compare it to a Roc3?

Well in that case I actually own the disc you want. It's a Moonshine Verdict, which I dyed kind of an aqua/turquoise color so that I wouldn't lose it in the snow.

Edit: there is no such thing as a bad Emac Truth, and I am morally offended by your opening statement implying that there is.

Oh, there are some VERY bad Emac Truths out there. Those things beat super fast and start getting erratically flippy. I thought I was going to bag an Emac Truth a few years ago. What a mistake that ended up being. The thing became super understable. Emacs will also outdistance most other mids. I found myself long and right of the target on almost every shot.

Once an Emac Truth starts turning, it never comes back late.

Fresh out of the box they can be decent, but as soon as lucid (or whatever) plastic beats in it gets super flippy.

I'd never recommend the Emac Truth to anyone looking for a stable to slightly overstable mid.

Yeah I have no reason to use a Buzzz OS or Malta, because my Zone takes up that slot. Champ Roc3 seems to be getting the most recommendations so I'll definitely look into it. How many people have tried a Champ Shark3 and can they compare it to a Roc3?

The Shark is a little shorter and beefier. It also doesn't glide as well as the Roc3.

Of all the mids I've ever thrown, the Roc3 is the best one for straight to somewhat overstable shots. I loved the Buzzz for years, but they just drift right too much and don't come back. In wind they're untenable.

When he was with Innova, Paul McBeth threw the Roc3 a ton.

Yeah, when building this new bag, I purchased 2 esp Buzzz's and 1 Z Buzzz. Much to my surprise, all 3-- even the Z-- demonstrated some mild turn when thrown hard and flat. It baffled me, because my only experience with the Buzzz prior to that was this freakishly beefy 180g Z I had. That's not to say that the baby S curve is a bad thing, because I've never seen a midrange fly so straight when finessed on a flat release as these Buzzz's, but I definitely needed something to bridge the gap between my Z Buzzz and Champ Glow Teebird.

Roc3 looks like it'll fit the bill, thanks everybody! Infinite even had a perfectly colored aqua champ x-out as well.

Last edited:
I think it just comes down to finding the right buzzz's. In Paul's latest field practice field, he's throwing them out there pretty flat and they're staying true. And yeah, Drew can crush his Z Buzzz past 500 feet and it'll stay dependable.

Oh, there are some VERY bad Emac Truths out there. Those things beat super fast and start getting erratically flippy. I thought I was going to bag an Emac Truth a few years ago. What a mistake that ended up being. The thing became super understable. Emacs will also outdistance most other mids. I found myself long and right of the target on almost every shot.

Once an Emac Truth starts turning, it never comes back late.

Fresh out of the box they can be decent, but as soon as lucid (or whatever) plastic beats in it gets super flippy.

I'd never recommend the Emac Truth to anyone looking for a stable to slightly overstable mid.

We've had this conversation before. I threw Roc3s before switching to Emacs. You threw Emacs before switching to Roc3s. I think the Roc3 is a horribly uncomfortable disc, vastly overrated, and inferior to the plethora of more modern midrange choices available. You think Emacs are flippy.

Did I miss anything? :p

Yeah, Drew Gibson finds the Buzzz to be untenably flippy too.

Drew ripping on a Buzzz is the perfect advertisment for 'Stable to slightly overstable midrange'.

Max weight Glow Z Buzzz's have always held their own for me in the wind throwing RHBH.

MVP Reactor. The Eclipse is a tad more stable

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I had the exact same dilemma as OP. And interestingly, my solutions were similar to all the other responses.

I got a max weight EMac Truth in Glow plastic. Glow is a little more stable than the stock plastics. The first one I bought was perfect. The second one wasn't quite as stable as the first, but still more stable than the Buzzz. I also got a Verdict in premium plastic as the OS compliment, and use it for midrange shots when I absolutely can't have the disc turn over.

This is an interesting discussion. On the Buzzz, I swear there must be different molds. I have a standard Z that when lined up to my Big Z looks like two different molds. The Z is deeper and the wing angle isn't as sharp. The Z is the slightly OS type, and the Big Z has turn.

On the EMacs, I have never had one beat into any turn at all. Almost makes me think some are throwing regulars thinking they are EMacs.