• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to move, best state for disc golf?

If you like scruffy/ugly shrubs and dirt and flat land, TX is your new home.
If you like lush vegetation, kudzu, great trees and hills, NC is your new home.

North Texas is not as you described at all:\ We don't have rolling hills everywhere but there is a abundance of trees and Grass. Maybe you are thinking of West Texas?

I just looked at pictures for 3 top rated DFW area courses (Turner, Harry Myers, Towne Lake), and looks like over 75% the holes fit my description.

To be fair, I have only played 2 courses in TX (Houston area) and have not spent much time in TX. My impressions come from TV, movies, and videos/pictures from this site. Maybe I am missing something, but TX "beauty" is not my cup of tea.

It's not all dusty. I don't recall from my travels exactly what part of Texas it is, but the Hill Country is green and beautiful. East of DFW, the terrain and vegetation looks a lot like the rest of the Southeast.

California is the place to be for disc golf. I can play golf any day, any time of the year. If you live in near the northern california valley areas like bay area, sacramento, san francisco, santa cruz, monterrey you will be in disc golf heaven. Top courses in the world you can play any day, the worst day would be rain and wind. Also tournaments year round, as soon as summer series tourneys end, fall and winter series starts up. (see norcal series and central valley series) There are no breaks in this state. Plus the top tech companies in the world. No lack of work for techs in this state.

Texas is where it is at. I live in Houston and spend a LOT of my free time playing DG, and yet there are still more cash games, tournaments, and courses than I can ever play. I have been here 5 years and still there are many courses in the area I haven't played - some rated very highly.

Then just a few hours away are excellent courses in Austin, Dallas, Victoria, San Antonio, and Corpus Christi, among others. If you like competitive disc golf, there probably arent many places better than East Texas. If you are willing to drive an hour or two, there are PDGA events almost every weekend in the Spring Summer and Fall.

I just looked at pictures for 3 top rated DFW area courses (Turner, Harry Myers, Towne Lake), and looks like over 75% the holes fit my description.

To be fair, I have only played 2 courses in TX (Houston area) and have not spent much time in TX. My impressions come from TV, movies, and videos/pictures from this site. Maybe I am missing something, but TX "beauty" is not my cup of tea.

It's not all dusty. I don't recall from my travels exactly what part of Texas it is, but the Hill Country is green and beautiful. East of DFW, the terrain and vegetation looks a lot like the rest of the Southeast.

the pics from any DFW course depend on what month the pics were taken. people are out in the summer and many of the pics are from that time, when the heat has scorched most grass and foliage to death. the three you mentioned are actually pretty green in many parts, especially Towne Lake. and for Texas, many of our better courses feature quite a bit of elevation change.

the hill country is around Austin and is very beautiful, a really great combination of Southwest flora and Southeast trees and hills.

i think there is a place somewhere in Texas for most people, provided you can survive the summers.

Turner has about 2 flat hole on it. Harry Myers has a lot of elevation change.

All three courses have mature trees and a few holes that are close to wooded. All three have lush grass on most of the holes other than shorts times in the summer and winter.

Not saying it is beutiful but your "descrition" isn't even close to correct.

California California California. Courses, weather, chicks and lots of other fun stuff. From San Diego to Redwood National Park and everything in between. Believe me.

Southern girls are just as pretty, and by enlarge mostly with parts they were born with...additionally, you can actually stand them for a few minutes.

Texas is too big to label as one type of terrain or flora. Unless you played in Houston recently, you didn't have many quality courses from which to chose. Houston has added some quality in the past 2yrs. In my opinion, most Dallas courses are over rated by a half of a disc, but I would consider myself lucky to live in any of the 60+ course areas in Texas.

"Best" is subjective. I am glad there are folks that love TX and stay there since it keeps them away from the "best" areas in the country. I live quite far way from what I consider the best DG areas and there are probably plenty of places in TX I would find way better than where I live today....but that does not mean anywhere in TX would crack my top 10 list of what I think are best areas to live for DG. TX is butt-ugly for the most part and I have heard plenty of people who share the same opinion. I think I would love Austin though from what I've heard/read/seen.

Delaware. Go ahead and laugh, but do some research and you'll see we have a TON of courses in a very very small area. Not to mention one of the best clubs around.

Saying 'California is expensive' is like saying 'Texas is ugly'. Neither is fully true. Both are huge states. The Bay Area, Tahoe, and beachy areas of So-Cal are pricey. However, The inland part of the state is relatively cheap to live in (minus the state taxes!). Excellent landing spots with rich disc golf abound, like Grass Valley, Ukiah, Redding, Chico, and sorry Chris, Humboldt. SoCal has great spots too like Bakersfield and Visalia. These all, with the exception of Humboldt, can be brutally hot in the summer with temps in the 100s, though the heat is a dry one, so it is bearable especially in the mornings and evenings. Locations like Fresno, Grass Valley, and Sacramento offer quick escapes into the mountains for cooling off and of course the epic courses of Tahoe and China Peak. Pick your poison!

Peterb is lieing to you. CA is terrible, overpriced, wayyyy tooo hot (!), rude people everywhere, and our disc golf is totally over rated. 90% of the people in this state are drug addicts. Crime is insanely bad as no one is legally allowed to own a gun. You will probably be robbed and killed within your first week of living here.

Humboldt is the worst. Cold and wet with no disc golf to be seen, as well as tons of homeless people everywhere. There are no jobs to be found anywhere around here, and everyone smells like patchuli.

I hear that Texas is nice though. Best courses in the world or something like that.

I live in Texas and almost all of the courses I've played are in Texas (the other two in Shreveport). I really love Texas. Most Texans do. There are all kinds of terrain to build courses on, and we do. The wide variety of choices is what I like best.

I'm not sure we have the best courses in the world, but there are a bunch of them and they are by no means the same type from region to region.

I will say that the courses in the north Houston area are beautiful. Rolling terrain with trees everywhere. Plenty of water hazards. I really enjoyed my trip down there this year.

Since the drought (3 full years now), the DFW courses have suffered big time. A lot of trees have died and been removed. The tougher, less desirable plants are starting to become a problem. We need rain. A lot of rain.

Nashville area is a great place to live, growing economy, low unemployment, lot's of jobs in the auto world. Disc golf is here and growing fast. NO INCOME TAX, 9.5% sales tax.

Latest posts