• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing Majors

Sucks that you lost by one shot. But unless you put up a 10 on a hole in the final it wasn't the final that cost you. It was those ****ty shots earlier in the tourney. Like someone else said focus like the final the whole way through. That one shot loss will be a 4 shot lead.

I actually saved par on the final hole with a 70 foot putt to force the playoff. So I don't look at that missed drop in the day before as making the difference. I would have laid up on the final hole instead of going for it if I had that one stroke cushion.

I was doing a good job focusing the first 9 holes of the first round to get a 3 stroke lead. But when I got dizzy from the heat and humidity, and my hands started shaking, and I was seeing double, I didn't know how to focus through that. And I had the same problem after the first couple of holes the second day.

2 miles on the treadmill this morning :) Took 33 minutes and 20 seconds :-(

what course / hole(s) did they have you two do the playoff at?

Playoff was hole 1 of Iroquois in the rain. She was tearing me up on open holes the whole tournament, and I was making up ground on tight wooded holes with putter drives. I can't seem to lay up accurately without reference objects around to help me gauge distance and visualize a line, but she was on it. The whole front of that course played to her strengths. So I wasn't feeling like I had an advantage there, and I had to throw first. I tried to get close on my drive, misread the wind, and went just a few feet OB across the sidewalk that runs all the way up to the basket, and that was it. She just took a safe drive and parked her upshot, as expected.

Jen, it was good to meet you this weekend. The wind on both hole 1 and 4 at IQ can be a pain. Sorry you were unable to get the win. Maybe the rhynos I sold you will help shave some strokes next tourney.

I'm on the fence about actually throwing those mint barstamp SE soft rhinos. I think some people around here might actually lynch me. ;-)

those things were pretty nice, personally i dont think you should throw them but they sure feel good in the hand!

As I should have said in my first post....you already know what to do Jen. You've been a member of this forum for a long while. You have plenty of disc golf, and tourney experience.

Just go out there, play your game, and win! You've won at lower levels, you know what it takes.

Good luck on your upcoming tourney. :)

Playoff was hole 1 of Iroquois in the rain. She was tearing me up on open holes the whole tournament, and I was making up ground on tight wooded holes with putter drives. I can't seem to lay up accurately without reference objects around to help me gauge distance and visualize a line, but she was on it. The whole front of that course played to her strengths. So I wasn't feeling like I had an advantage there, and I had to throw first. I tried to get close on my drive, misread the wind, and went just a few feet OB across the sidewalk that runs all the way up to the basket, and that was it. She just took a safe drive and parked her upshot, as expected.

u seem very skilled and on your way to winning. I would suggest just playing your game even when in a playoff. if you try to over throw because the other player might drive the hole you sometimes end up OB. just play to your strengths and don't worry about your opponents long drives. Also make more 70 foot putts. ;)

I'm on the fence about actually throwing those mint barstamp SE soft rhinos. I think some people around here might actually lynch me. ;-)

discs are meant to be thrown do what works and it obviously does for you.

I actually saved par on the final hole with a 70 foot putt to force the playoff. So I don't look at that missed drop in the day before as making the difference.

You should never have a drop in. Either it's a real putt (thrown) that can chain through, clang off the pole, or miss ... or it's a "place in" that can't possibly miss, because you remove your hand from a disc that's already motionless in the basket. I suspect you threw the disc because you were too far to place it in the basket, and at that point you had some slight chance of needing another shot to hole out. It happens.

But, looking at the tournament results, you did close four shots in the final round to force a playoff. Sounds like what a top competitor would do. :)

I was doing a good job focusing the first 9 holes of the first round to get a 3 stroke lead. But when I got dizzy from the heat and humidity, and my hands started shaking, and I was seeing double, I didn't know how to focus through that. And I had the same problem after the first couple of holes the second day.

Jennifer, first of all, you are a good player and you're one of us weekend warriors who's intent on improving and you should be proud of how much success you've had. You're a good player and like I tell the hard workers that I supervise at my job, "your day will come... just stick with it."

Now I will point out one thing that has helped me in situations like the one you were dealing with regarding the heat & humidity -- which there's a lot of here in Texas. And this is based upon my personal experience from having to DNF from heat exhaustion TWICE during one of the notorious summers 2 years ago. My wife (of all people) told me that I was gonna get a cart after that -- and she actually bought the first one for me. Now carrying my bag myself is not a biggie; I do it for minis sometimes and also even tournaments in fall or spring when there is crisp air. But in the heat, no way. I will never forget nearly passing out during a tournament, people having to pick me up off the ground, muscles spasming (if that's a word), and being forced to quit – which is something I hate. Also, what is unusually effective is an umbrella. I got that tip from another player. I was surprised how much difference it makes just putting the umbrella over myself between shots and while we're walking. The sun actually zaps a lot of energy from you even while you're just standing, and with the umbrella and cart I have never felt close to like I did when I DNF'ed twice. Not even during last year's summer which was one of the hottest in history. If the heat & humidity was pressing in Kentucky, it's no wonder you started feeling a little out of sorts. But I'd bet that if you first tried the umbrella on a day when the sun was particularly beating down and used it all day you could feel the difference.

I've since adapted my cart to have an umbrella holder on it and now the umbrella doesn't even take up extra space. Now if I ever feel the sun affecting me I always have it, and it doesn't become "one more thing" to carry.

All, in all, good luck and stick to it – you'll get it when your time is here.

Dont know what your eating before rounds but EAT. It always helps.

They have my name listed first right now, like I won, for some reason. I'm sure they'll fix it though.

Doesn't look like they're taking the play off holes into account. Not sure how they can fix that without adding a whole new round to the screen. Great job, BTW!