• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing my "fancy" driver improved my game?

mlihlen

Sequence of events:

1) buddy introduces me to disc golf :)
2) buy driver (Valkyrie), mid-range and putter at local sports store
3) get addicted :thmbup:
4) next day buy shiny new champion groove (and back-up) with a 13 for speed
5) play for a month or so frustrated at lack of distance and amount of fade :doh:
6) lose my champion groove and the back-up on the same day :mad:
7) continue on with the old Valkyrie
8) find that I can throw it further with less fade than my "superior" driver
9) go back to square one and realize I don't know jack yet about this sport :wall:

congrats, you've learned the lesson every new player that eventually wants to improve learns, throwing discs your speed. I'd recommend even picking up a slower driver (tl, leopard, stalker) and you'll be surprised how much better that will work even than your valkyrie.

Now just imagine if you threw an xl, jls, cyclone, gazelle, or cheetah over the "superior" valk, viking, flash, or xs!

some dude is going to find your groove's and go... 'OMG a disc!'.. then he'll pick it up and go... 'oh it's just a groove'... and he'll throw it back down.

some dude is going to find your groove's and go... 'OMG a disc!'.. then he'll pick it up and go... 'oh it's just a groove'... and he'll throw it back down.

ha, I got a groove last year at a tournament raffle, looked at the guy next to me, handed it to him, and said congratulations.

all this says is you need to get better at searchin for discs:)

Well, to be fair I am a total noob and the Groove did cost me 33% more so it MUST be fancy.

And by fancy, I mean "fancy". Which is me thinking it's fancy because it is shinier than the dull looking Valk and it's speed was 4 higher, so speed means distance right? See where I'm coming from. :)

And by fancy, I mean "fancy". Which is me thinking it's fancy because it is shinier than the dull looking Valk and it's speed was 4 higher, so speed means distance right? See where I'm coming from. :)

Well, there's where you're learning that speed ≠ distance, it only means how fast the disc will cut through the air. Until you can throw these speed 12+ discs 400'+ you won't get the distance 'potential' out of these discs as fairway drivers (speed 6-8) and lower speed max distance drivers (speed 9-11) generally have more lift and glide then those in the speed 12+ range. This gives these 'slower' discs the potential to fly 350'-450' for those experienced in throwing them while the 'faster' discs can just hyzer out early without the power and momentum to keep them pushing forward in it's flight. As others have said, buy some fairway drivers to compliment your Valkyrie and work on your form until you can push these out to at least 350' and your game will improve much faster than buying 'Speedy Gonzales' discs to go farther. :thmbup:

I'm totally digging the Millenium Orion LS after having thrown alot of Cobras, Spitfires, and Cyclones(in that order) over the years. Now I'm discing down to Mids to get my form right but hope to be back to that by end of summer.

this site http://marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/htmlpages/flightguide.html was way handy to help me understand characteristics of discs I've been throwing for decades. Find a mold the feels right in your hand then look for similar mold in proper speed for your level. Have fun and welcome in! :)

Well, to be fair I am a total noob and the Groove did cost me 33% more so it MUST be fancy.

yea.. we just like to make fun of the groove around here.

I Started with a Cyclone Comet and Rhyno and was doing just as good as my friends who had been playing for years i picked up a nuke SS for 5$ from a squid brand new and loving how far i can crank it ive only been playing for 2 months but im glad i listen to the pro shop guy really helped me learn

milihlen,

If you get a chance to toss an Apache, try one. I been there and got the T-shirt where you are.

milihlen,

If you get a chance to toss an Apache, try one. I been there and got the T-shirt where you are.

Thanks for the tip, mate. I'll take a look next time I hit the pro shop.

So I can see where this is going (but it's still cheaper than ball golf). :)

yup you can buy two discs for what it would cost you to play a round of bolf at the cheapest place nearby (~$25)

Latest posts