• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing Plastic

^ All that plastic to fondle... Scarp's gonna have himself a discgasm! :p

Used to bum me out a good bit. Then I started realizing that most of the discs I lost happened from a bad disc/shot choice. I don't lose nearly as many discs now that I thoroughly think about the smartest throw.

Is kind of like a game over in final fantasy. The first time I'm like "dammit I made it so far without dying !!" I get pissed and quit playing for a day or two. Then I get back into it, I get better, I realize dying is part of the game, I play on, each game over is less and less painful, soon it becomes necessary to learn certain aspects of the game, then I beat the game. Then the goal is to beat it again without losing a disc.

Really glad to see I'm not the only one that takes it hard when I lose a disc. I lost quite a few this summer - some of them I had found with no ink, a couple I had just bought, and my flippy Pro Wraith that was perfectly seasoned as well all lost. I actually lost one last week at The Valley on hole number 5 but was determined to find it. I was dumb and threw yellow into the green and yellowing bushes. Ran out of light but went back after work the next day and found it. Some people would think I was crazy going back for an $8 disc - but I had only thrown it a few times and I just refuse to lose any more discs this year. Especially when my coworker decided to lose 3 of my discs at BRP with zero concern for even looking for them.

Long post short: Good to know it's natural for me to get bummed about a lost disc.

If I am playing a hole that I know there is a chance I might lose a disc, I keep some cheap plastic in my bag, and I throw those instead of a good disc. Now if I am playing a course I have never played, I can and have lost a good disc, because I didn't know the risk. I played a course in the Dallas area, and did't know there was a creek behind the pin, and lost a nice, tourney stamped Buzz in the water. That pissed me off a bit.

My home course is trophy lakes here...you get over losing plastic real quick. At least there are divers that come out each month.

I've seen guys lose 5 or 6 discs in a round...especially from the longs. Most for me is two in a round.

One nice thing is when you've written of that disc that has been gone for 6 months and all of a sudden it's in the lost and found book...it's like Christmas morning!

Last edited:
Whenever I encounter a hole by a designer who's decided to try and be cute and clever by placing a basket a few feet from a bog-like, eutrophic water hazard (or a deep, swift river, or some other hazard where I'm probably not getting the putter back), I'm definitely pacing off that putt and making the attempt on a later risk-free basket. I simply do not carry a putter that I can lose. They're like my own children to me.

Whenever I encounter a hole by a designer who's decided to try and be cute and clever by placing a basket a few feet from a bog-like, eutrophic water hazard (or a deep, swift river, or some other hazard where I'm probably not getting the putter back), I'm definitely pacing off that putt and making the attempt on a later risk-free basket. I simply do not carry a putter that I can lose. They're like my own children to me.

Ever though of laying up like everyone else does in that situation and finishing out the hole? You might as well go play in a open field. :D

The leaves are coming.

well i hate losing discs! i'm also a no disc left behind. i'll even go back and look for others discs to return them to people later because even someone else losing a discs bugs me. i also have a good eye for discs and usually find multiples if i have a lost disc i find other peoples discs while looking for my own discs.

I do have probably 4 copies of my bag that are 100% the same so i could lose my bag 3 times completely and still have perfect copy of the bag. but i'm crazy. only disc i really wish i had more of is my main putter a green evo magic. i only have 4 of them but would be crushed if i lost one.

and it goes on and on. but i rarely if ever lose a disc. i write REWARD on my discs and pay 10 cash or new plastic to returners. or beer if they prefer.

The leaves are coming.

well i hate losing discs! i'm also a no disc left behind. i'll even go back and look for others discs to return them to people later because even someone else losing a discs bugs me. i also have a good eye for discs and usually find multiples if i have a lost disc i find other peoples discs while looking for my own discs.

I do have probably 4 copies of my bag that are 100% the same so i could lose my bag 3 times completely and still have perfect copy of the bag. but i'm crazy. only disc i really wish i had more of is my main putter a green evo magic. i only have 4 of them but would be crushed if i lost one.

and it goes on and on. but i rarely if ever lose a disc. i write REWARD on my discs and pay 10 cash or new plastic to returners. or beer if they prefer.

For the Horde!

man up central

in what imaginary world do you throw a putt on a completely different basket and count it as a shot....losing discs are part of the game....like the poster above I play a lot at Trophy Lakes and there is a lot of risk and reward. I have learned to have backups for all of my key discs. I don't like losing plastic but you have to decide how much water to put in play. Now those tree caroms are another issue:wall:

I don't have any "valuable" discs. At least not ones that would be considered valuable to anyone else. I'm a no disc left behind kinda guy too, but the groups I typically play with don't loose many. However, when I do loose one, I range from disappointed to really disappointed & almost always go back to look again or post it on our club message board. I also have "reward" written on the inside rim & buy the finder a disc or 6 pack of their choice. All this to say, when I'm faced with a shot where I "could" loose a disc, I never throw my "good" ones

It's kind of a side issue, but I lost a disc about a month ago and a person in my group did not help look for it at all. I was much more ticked off about that than losing the disc.

I'm a no disc left behind kinda guy too, but the groups I typically play with don't loose many. However, when I do loose one, I range from disappointed to really disappointed & almost always go back to look again or post it on our club message board. All this to say, when I'm faced with a shot where I "could" loose a disc, I never throw my "good" ones

I literally said this less than 24 hours ago and lost 2 discs this morning. I'm disappointed at losing both of them and don't really ever see them coming back to me.
WTF?

I hate losing discs...I lost my Boss XG this week and it really really made me mad...

Ever since this thread has started, I've been on a rampage FINDING discs with no numbers on them. Went out this morning with my 12yo son and his friend...found a Pro Leopard midway through and as we were leaving a fisherman walked up and gave us a Dragon. Now, I obviously can't use the Dragon, but my son thought a floating disc for free was pretty awesome. Still waiting for a response on the Prodigy Proto D1 I called a guy about. That's actually the first time I've had somebody NOT respond to a call.

This wasn't me, but it happened in my group at the Altoona Ace Race yesterday. One of the ladies in the group was searching for her disc in the underbrush. She came out with her disc plus a broken in DX shark. OK, not a special disc at first appearance. But apparently it meant something to the owner. The lady called the number on the disc as soon as our AR was over. Before she left the premises, the guy showed up and got his disc back. I thought that this was pretty cool! :clap:

It's kind of a side issue, but I lost a disc about a month ago and a person in my group did not help look for it at all. I was much more ticked off about that than losing the disc.

I've played rounds with people like this... I will go through almost anything to help them search for a disc but the one time I toss mine into the thick they stand at their disc waiting and waiting... I get more frustrated with that behavior than losing plastic. Some people don't get that the more pairs of eyes looking the faster we can find it and keep playing! :wall:

I've played rounds with people like this... I will go through almost anything to help them search for a disc but the one time I toss mine into the thick they stand at their disc waiting and waiting... I get more frustrated with that behavior than losing plastic. Some people don't get that the more pairs of eyes looking the faster we can find it and keep playing! :wall:

The easy fix for this: next time they toss one in the weeds, just have a seat. If they say anything just tell them you figured they don't want any help, since they never offer any.

Eh I don't care that much. I mean it sucks to lose a disc you beat up nicely and was flying great but anything can be replaced with a little time and money. I've recently lost 4 discs on a new course here that has deep water on half of the holes but I haven't blinked so far...