• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost a disc? It might be at Elk Mountain Disc Golf Course - PlumTree, North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homie Dog

I've played there twice. I went there today with 2 of my golf homies and we drove an hour plus to get there. They tell us that if we spend 10 dollars in the disc golf shop that we could play for free, as opposed to paying 5 dollars for a single round. We're in the back looking through discs, they have new and used discs for sale, and my buddy pulls out a disc and says "whatchu know about that?". Turns out that it is one of my old discs that I threw into the pond about a month earlier. The disc flew in blind, so I left it knowing that I have close friends that work for the city park and they do a good job to keep poachers out, even though there are signs posted at 2, maybe 3 spots around the pond.

It's just not right to poach, and I feel like 3 (hopefully 4 or 5) outta 5 golfers would feel the same way. Anyways, back to my story on PlumTree... One of their employees that works on the course doing some course maintenance told our disc golf crew that he knew another employee at Elk Mountain Disc Golf course was poaching discs from another courses lake (Ashe County Park, Jefferson, NC) and selling them to the shop, so they could sell them to golfers coming through the course/shop. The accused person called one of the main guys that throws frequently/works for Ashe Disc Golf Course and admitted that he did take discs from the pond, but he did not take any that had names on them. And to wrap it up, when my buddy showed me my disc, I simply said "Ahhh, that's weak.". Then the owner's son, Will Young, says to us that we can get our weak asses out of there and go to another course. I'm not going to quote the guy but I know those were the words he said.
I'm still kneeling down looking through the used discs and thought for a second about what to say, if anything and I realized he was pretty upset, and was being serious and continued to defend himself and his employees. My crew and I are very calm, we tell him that we didn't come with the intentions to snoop the store for evidence, but honestly came to just throw and buy some discs in the meantime so we could feel we really got our money's worth. I told Will that he was clearly upset and shouldn't be if he had done nothing wrong. He was getting really red, talking super loud and I felt like he wanted to hit me. No one ever placed blame on Will or his employees for buying/stealing/poaching/trading my disc. We just stated that his employee openly admitted to poaching discs that were not his, as long as they did not have a name on it. And I thought and still think that it was "weak" that whoever found my disc didn't call me.

We all felt the same way and wanted to leave at that point anyways, just because of how very unprofessional and rude he was being towards his paying customers. I was walking out of the shop with my disc in my hand and Will Young put both of his hands on my disc and rips it out of my hand as if I were going to put up a fight.

So, just a heads up, if you go to Elk Mountain Disc Golf course and you have lost a disc somewhere in North Carolina, or perhaps the whole country, and you happen to find it there, you probably should just buy the disc back.

That's my rant.

I really wanted to leave a bad review, but I calmed down a bit since then. I'm not saying anything good or bad about the course, just a day in the life.

i wish i had your calmness

I think I would of been okay with this up until the point of him taking it back from me.

Yeah,I would not be calm at that point.

It was very hard to be calm on the outside, on the inside I wanted to rip the discs off the wall and flip this table full of food and then maybe eat some food and spit it out everywhere.

Yes, my disc had my Name, Phone number WITH area code and my PDGA number.

Very unprofessional on his part, such a challenge that I don't tend to or want to deal with when I'm trying to enjoy my day off of work with the homies. So we played it cool and walked the fu__ out.

Yeah **** that guy. What a twat, you would think with the disc golf community being as small as it is that this guy would want to have a good rep.

maybe my orange pearly monster will end up there one day...shiesty.

I was thinking about that digi. A couple of the homies have some very precious plastic in that pond that we want to go back and look for now. It's just crappy that we drove all the way out there, got into that situation and it got to be past the point of "talking it out". Not even a single putt and then we drive back. The community is even smaller in our neck of the woods, and word will spread very, very fast. It could of, and should of been handled totally different.

whoa dude! the police are going to arrest him for having a disc with his name on it? can the course owners also claim to own every disc in their bags and their bags too? this isnt compton.

Wait this guy Will bought a disc from someone and you were going to walk off with it because it "used to be" yours? You should at least have offered to pay him whatever it was that he paid for it. Bad business or not you can't treat him unfairly. People sell discs with numbers on them all the time that aren't shady sales.

And it would probably have been wise to ask to speak to the actual owner of the shop to resolve the situation. It may have ended in a much more appropriate way.

I always think you should call the number on the disc and attempt to return it. Maybe you could have stepped outside and called the cops if you were really furious.

Last edited:
I can see where both sides are coming from, but from the story you tell it sounds like the operator of the establishment acted foolishly towards his clientele. I'll be honest in saying that I have no problem with people selling any of my discs that are found in a body of water and I hope that they wouldn't have a problem with it going the other way around. If I were the operator I would have politely disagreed with you on principle, but would have given you the disc before you even had to ask for it. If you're willing to pay to come play my course or the course where I work, then reuniting you with some lost plastic would literally bring a smile to my face. This should be simple stuff to anyone who has ever worked with the public.

seems kind of like a pawn shop buying stolen property and having to return it for a loss to its owner.

To be honest: you are lucky he didn't call the police. You technically tried to straight up shoplift a disc - and you'd probably be pressed to 'prove' it was yours when the police showed up. Particularly after you admitted to throwing it in a lake. I've heard some stories of people 'spotting' discs that they think are theirs and forcibly trying to take them from people. I would advise against that sort of action in any state that allows concealed and carried weapons; you likely will find a firearm in your face.

How would it be hard to prove it was his, it had his name, phone number, and pdga number. If we are just going on the word of one side, I'm gonna bet they'd go with the person's name that was on the disc.

Yeah, you just need to get over the fact you lost your disc and they're selling it. That issue has been discussed ad nauseum. If you don't want to lose it at High Country, don't try to be a big man and attempt to throw over the water.

The bigger issue I had with Elk Mountain selling discs is that they had no price on them, and it was up to Will's discretion how much he wanted to charged. When I was there, I was looking through the shop (which actually has a really good selection of discs), he'd look at the disc and then decide how much it'd be. I don't know if they're trying to leave the door open for bargaining, or if they just hope they can squeeze an extra $2 or $3 bucks out of you.

I met the guy once (I've only played there once). Seemed like a good guy to me. The pro shop is attached to a gift shop / cafe. They brewed beer there but couldn't sell it (dry county). So he just poured beers for me as we chatted discs.

I always call the numbers on discs. I've thrown discs when the owner doesn't call me back, but I don't think I'd sell a labeled disc. So this thread seems like a fair rant. I'm not at all challenging your frustration. I just wanted to balance the thread a bit. The reviews hyping the course and the owner match my (very limited) experience at Elk Mountain.

Now that sounds pretty shady. Not the kind of place I would frequent, but at some point folks have to realize that common courtesy calls for contacting the owner of a lost disc - not the law. I say let him have the disc; if it was that great you wouldn't have thrown it over water to begin with.

That being said - I would have called the OP, had I found his disc.

The bigger issue I had with Elk Mountain selling discs is that they had no price on them, and it was up to Will's discretion how much he wanted to charged.

I think the problem is that when confronted he just acted like a giant douche. It was like this dude just grabbed a disc that use to be his and tried to walk out. He tried to have a conversation about it and according to this guy he just acted like a douche about it.

Furthermore I have played at multiple courses where the pro shop calls any numbers that are on the discs they pull out of the water. I think if you are charging $5 a round that should be one of the perks. Hell I've played free courses where they call you about something as worthless as a Pro D Buzzz, shout out to The Ponds @ Lakeshore in Ypsilanti, MI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts