• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost disc found

Knarfks

Par Member
I went out with my wife to play a round. She threw a disc into a clump of trees and couldn't find it. It was old a beat so I told her to not worry about it.

I'm in the car driving away and see the disc in a bag on top of a car. I ask the people about the disc and they show it to me. They had attempted to scratch the name out already. What the crap is wrong with people. Name and number on it. I live a couple blocks from the course and have returned 5 discs this summer already. No name and number, its a free disc, but to scratch it off and never call, bastard move. They didn't apoligize, just looked pissed that I wanted the disc back.

Sorry, but had to rant

yah theres people that try to pull that around here too, it's amazing what they'll do for a beat up peice of plastic that they probably can't throw correctly

That kinda thing makes my blood boil and I have posted a similar complaint when I heard of other DG'ers "adopting" marked discs. HOWEVER, ask a ball player how often a softball bat or glove is returned to their owner. I don't think many other enthusiasts "expect" their equipment to be returned to them. But we, as disc golfers, do!
You showed those people what the disc golf community expects and hopefully you did it without violence! :) Just keep being a good influence and people will catch on.

I lost a disc on a course that is quite busy , and it had my name and number all over it, and I never got a call. I know that disc was found. It really pisses me off that nobody calls anymore. I think only the hardcore players and people with a conscious call people with found disc.

I'll be honest, when I first started playing if I found a disc it was like getting a present, so I didn't really pay attention to whether or not there was a name & number on it, I kept it. But after awhile, once I realized the pain involved with losing one, I came to my senses & got a conscience about it. Now I will call if I find a disc with a # on it.

ok whats worse is when you have ur name and # on it and people do call you to tell you they have found it and hang up...

my theory is call once, if they dont pick up, leave a voicemail with your name and number so they can call you back. If no one calls back within a week its mine forever. (ive never had anyone call back after a week).

This way you give them adequate time and opportunity to get their disc back. Now i throw the disc as soon as I get it, but still allow for the person to get it back. I also will ask groups in front of me if they lost that exact disc if we get piled up on a hole.

Only one instance where I was kinda mad about it, I dove in the water to grap a disc I saw only to have that person tell me to give it back from 2 holes up. If they abandoned it in the water and kept on playing I figure it's mine, plus there was no name or number and i dove in the water just for that disc. I gave it back however, I was kinda mad that i had to dive for someone elses disc.

The people who piss me off are not the Disc golfers, but the people who go to the course just to look for discs in the bushes and water hazards with no intention of ever returning anything (they don't even play!).
I bought a set of 6 discs on Ebay, everyone had a different name on the back so it was clearly a disc fisherman who didn't care if a name was present or not. Whether I should have called all 6 numbers is probably a discussion for another thread.

Rewarding disc fishermen is one reason that I don't buy those lots of "used" discs on eBay, some of which you can tell in the listing photos have spent some significant time in the water. Don't create the demand and there won't be a supply, In fact, if you see any eBayers in your area, I'd recommend outing them to the local DG'ers to watch their auctions and look for their discs.

The people who piss me off are not the Disc golfers, but the people who go to the course just to look for discs in the bushes and water hazards with no intention of ever returning anything (they don't even play!).
I bought a set of 6 discs on Ebay, everyone had a different name on the back so it was clearly a disc fisherman who didn't care if a name was present or not. Whether I should have called all 6 numbers is probably a discussion for another thread.
Theres a dude that lives behind the Miramar DGC in seabrook that does that, i dont know if he sells them or is just a hoarder but he dosnt play. He might not have a house anymore(cause of ike) so im not sure if hes still there but if yall see a little ginger troll lurking the woods thats him.

Its one thing to keep water discs with names , even if you dont agree its at least debatable but to find one in the woods (or fairway for that matter) thats still clean and not call is kinda douchey.

Now if someone gets permission to go on a course rents scuba gear goes in nasty alligator and snake water over their head to get discs i dont think they anybody anything, that disc was lost forever.

One way to avoid all the anger and confrontation is to just not write your name on the disc, it works for me and im quite happy with how it works out. Now instead of getting pissed know one calls me i take comfort knowing someone will be excited to find my disc and will enjoy it. Just dont be a douche and write your name and number on it like you actually paid for it(yes im talking about you, your a douche if thats you).

omega, I almost didn't recognize you without your Elvis avitar!

When I first started I never thought about calling someone to give their disc back. My justification was that I had lost plenty of discs, so it was like getting one back. Now however, if it has a number I will call as I hope that maybe one will be returned to me one day. I doubt it, but there's always a chance.

I've been playing about three months now. I've returned four, one I had a name but no number, yet I found the name on the course scorecard and called. Another, was a foursome five holes ahead where we crossed paths and I asked.

I've lost five: one in a lake (gone) another acrossed a stream not crossible (gone) a third had no name on it (gone, marked all my discs that afternoon) Two that do bug me me are tye die champion drivers (expensive with name and number) in new condition. And I spent about 20 mins looking for them.

But returning a disk is a matter of conscience. I do it for others because its the right thing to do. They get expensive, especially in premium plastics. Whether I get mine back is a matter out of my control, except for the fact that I threw it poorly enough to loose it in the first place.

I have a disc right now that has a name on it but no number. I have posted that I found it on the local forum but the guy has never responded and not sure if he even gets on the site. Hopefully I will see him on the course or someone will reconize the name and I can return it. I have found a few disc and have returned all but two. The two i kept have no name/number but I still posted on the local forum that I found them and where i found them. No one responded and since then i have lost one and gave another away to some one who is new to these type disc's.

omega, I almost didn't recognize you without your Elvis avitar!

When I first started I never thought about calling someone to give their disc back. My justification was that I had lost plenty of discs, so it was like getting one back. Now however, if it has a number I will call as I hope that maybe one will be returned to me one day. I doubt it, but there's always a chance.
I dont realy believe in karma but when i went back to not writing my name on my discs all the sudden i started finding no name discs every time id lose one of mine . At first i started breaking even but now i think starting to make up for discs i lost along time ago, and the funny thing is i dont even look for the disc i find i usually find them when im looking for mine and i still find mine too.

I dont care if people write their name or not , and i do call if i see a number or if its just a name ill ask around and either give it away if i dont find or dont like it or throw it until i come across someone who knows them. Its kinda a relief to not be pissed off all the time when i know someone jacked my disc i lost or be mad they wont trade me it back when i find who got it.

And since i throw innova and prefer non-broke in discs its pretty easy to replace them, and i can always trade or sell some no-name disc i find to break even. Nowdays its so easy to buy a disc to do whatever you want that i dont have any old faves and losing a broke in disc is a good reason to go buy a new one.

I lost at Disc in the water in Georgia. If someone goes in after it they can keep it.
I guess water is questionable, my policy when I found some discs in the water was I called all people in the 2 closest area codes. All other area codes I did not bother because I am not shipping a DX disc covered in algea.

if i bought them over the internet i would not call the #'s unless i got a really good deal, and i shure as hell wouldnet buy a disc with some 1's # on it face to face.