• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost Disc Statute of limitations?

seedlings

* Ace Member *
On May 14, 2021 I text someone about a disc I found. Reply comes back they play all the time and will text me next time he plays.

In September 2021 I give the disc to a high school kid who plays with us often.

Yesterday, April 4, 2022, guy text me wanting the disc, it's his favorite disc and he has aces with it.

First off, the kid still has the disc, so I am going to get it back to the guy. I'm also giving the kid 2 discs.

So… what's the statute of limitations on returning discs? How many years is long enough to hold them? Stores give them to schools after 60 days. I'm calling party foul on the owner.

I mean, he waited almost a whole year to text you back.. I would've ended up doing the same giving it away to someone or I would've thrown it and lost it by now.

You did the right thing as he literally said he plays all the time yet waited a longggggg time to try to get his disc back. Besides, if he REALLY wanted it back he would've asked you to mail it to him or something.

I generally don't really do anything with them for 6-9 months. At that point, I might start throwing them. If someone hits me up and I have it, I'm giving it back to them regardless of timeframe. If I waited 6+ months, then I went and lost it, then oh well.

In this scenario, I'd probably let the guy who lost it work a deal with the kid.

On May 14, 2021 I text someone about a disc I found. Reply comes back they play all the time and will text me next time he plays.

Yesterday, April 4, 2022, guy text me wanting the disc, it's his favorite disc and he has aces with it.

First off, the kid still has the disc, so I am going to get it back to the guy. I'm also giving the kid 2 discs.

So… what's the statute of limitations on returning discs? How many years is long enough to hold them? Stores give them to schools after 60 days. I'm calling party foul on the owner.

I've done something similar to this guy. I lost my putter at a course 20 miles away. I got a text "I have your disc". I let him know that he was welcome to keep it or rehome it. He said he would keep it for me. 2 months later when I had the opportunity to play, he hid it somewhere for me.

If someone finds my disc and contacts me, its then on ME to recover it from the person. NOT on the person who found it. The finder has already done me a big favor contacting me in the first place.

But I haven't had the roles reversed. If I told someone I would hold their disc, I would probably hold it. Although 6 months and a needy kid later... I dunno :\

I'm sorry....I looked and I don't have that disc anymore. Since it's been almost a year since I let you know I found it....I guess it's been misplaced or lost since then.

The policy I've officially adopted is this:

Discs with direct contact info (phone # or email), I will stash the discs somewhere on the course, I'll snap a pic and send you that and a good set of directions, and it's yours to retrieve after that. If you get back to me and say hey, I'm from far away, not coming back

Discs with any other markings, but lacking contact info (i.e just a name, or a just PDGA #) will get left on top of the basket of the hole I found it on. I'm not playing detective to return your disc.

Completely unmarked discs are likely to be left on the basket too. Unless it's something I or someone I play with has an immediate use for, I might reconsider. But probably not. Haven't ran into this scenario yet so I'm not sure.

When I find a disc, I call/text the number and ask if they are still on the course. If so, I work to get it back to them then. If not, I work out how to get it back to them...leave it somewhere or turn it into one of the local disc stores that has a lost and found. I'm turning one in tomorrow to the local store and I'll let the owner know when I've done that.

If there's no name/number, then it depends on the disc. If it just the average disc, with no contact info, it's mine....but, if it seems to be important to someone, I'll try to get it back to them. I found a proto-type Apache that I think someone wanted back because it had a dollar sign on the bottom - but no contact information. Instead, I posted a picture of it and where I found it to our local disc golf FB pages. Said "If you can tell me the markings on the bottom, it's yours". Still on my shelf, now its mine after all this time.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. I would have asked when they plan on playing next and given them a timeframe for getting it...."I'll hold onto it for 2 months, but if you haven't gotten it by then, I'll consider it abandoned and that it's mine to do what I want with it."

I'd hold it between 3-6 months, and send them a last chance text before throwing or donating it.

But completely agree with those who say the burden is on the owner. If it's out of my way to find you, then it's up to you Venmo me shipping cost plus a couple dollars.

Also, this only goes for my local courses. I'm often bagging courses not near my residence, and for those I just leave it to a local.

For the record, wasn't his favorite disc. I exaggerated

Attachments

• 91EFE4FC-78B2-4031-9240-8052D62DE593.jpg
    91EFE4FC-78B2-4031-9240-8052D62DE593.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 3112E119-AC39-4AB5-BB2F-1855660AC93A.jpg
    3112E119-AC39-4AB5-BB2F-1855660AC93A.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Hi
If someone finds my disc and contacts me, its then on ME to recover it from the person. NOT on the person who found it. The finder has already done me a big favor contacting me in the first place.

Attachments

• Ej9WmSNXkAAgi_s.jpg
    Ej9WmSNXkAAgi_s.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Latest posts