• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost Disc Statute of limitations?

Eh. Just don't be accidentally creepy around children and you'll be fine.

That's one error I don't make, but saying things that need more context in front of my wife's friends… I have a good idea of what an adidas sole tastes like from all the times I put my foot in my mouth.

If a disc has contact info on it, I stash it at the course I found it on. Send text with location. I'm done at that point.

If there is no info on the disc I'll probably toss it in my bag and gift it or throw it.

My exact procedure. Inked? Stash and text.

No ink? Take it. I'll always check the local FB group to see if a post came up within a reasonable time frame. I'd make an effort to get it back to them, but that is usually me telling them to come grab it off my porch at X time.

I'm one of "those" guys that generally doesn't mark my discs. If it gains sentimental value, I will. If I lose a disc that's not marked, I'll make a post on FB, and would (and have) drive to get it, but am generally not heartbroken to lose one.

To the OP - you made more of an effort than I would… after that long "Sorry, you have the wrong number." And be done.

6 months is more than reasonable.

I think after 3 you surrender ownership if you've made no effort to retrieve it. Let's be real, it's an $18 frisbee…

On May 14, 2021 I text someone about a disc I found. Reply comes back they play all the time and will text me next time he plays.

A year between contacts is way too long. I suggest getting a virtual number on Google Voice and not using your real number to text. Some people get really bent out of shape over $10-20 plastic and they don't need your details.

Returning discs have been such a consistent hassle, I simply no longer keep discs to do the right thing. I just text them and find a spot in the park someone is unlikely to find them off the beaten path, be it under a random rubber mat (around bushes), in a big thick bush away from the course, under small bridges, or something else with some imagination and a rock to hold in place. Send photo and description.

It's no longer my problem. If it's still there 3 months down the road, it's mine*. More often than not, it's still there, a lot of times I get a thanks and that's the end of it. Other times, the disc is 5 states away from the owner for various reasons including it previously being found.

*(I almost never find a disc I really want to claim anyway. Mostly hard to see colors which I avoid, and probably why it's lost in the first place.)

One that I've encountered more than once is a disc with more than one number on it. That always seemed odd to me. Disc I "returned" this last weekend was like that. There was a number written on the rim twice. But, there was a printed label (sticker) on the plate of the disc. I went ahead and texted the # on the label and left it on the course. I figured maybe it was gifted or bought second hand. I was in a generous mood.

What I don't understand is the general issue of a disc with more than one number on it. I can see how it could happen, but the old number isn't marked out or attempted to erase. If someone found the disc and decided to keep it/throw it, why would they put their number on it? Whatever the reason there is a number on it, it really seems odd to me to put a second number on a disc. It's like, "this is a disc someone else lost so I kept it, but I hope you return it to me". OTOH, if you are a person that is going to buy and try a disc, then sell if you didn't like it, why ink it in the first place?

Maybe the original owner bagged it for some significant period of time, and eventually sold/traded it.

Whenever I buy/trade for a disc with someone else's ink, I try to cross it off to make it clear who to contact if found.

Maybe the original owner bagged it for some significant period of time, and eventually sold/traded it.

Whenever I buy/trade for a disc with someone else's ink, I try to cross it off to make it clear who to contact if found.

I have twice returned discs to the previous owner who's contact info is on the disc. In both cases they sold the disc and knew how to reach the new owner.

I like when I lose a disc locally and then get a call/text like three months later from someone 800 miles away letting me know they found my disc at a course I've never played in a state I've never played in.

I've been on both ends of that, and can't help but find it amusing when it happens

Day 1: text message
Day 30: phone call
Day 60: Phone call
Day 90: (<10 speed discs) Donation to learn to play programs (>10 speed discs) sold to PIAS
Day 91: Funds added to league ace pool
Day 92: Criticized for not going the extra step to return a DX Valkyrie I found 90 day ago

Day 1: text message
Day 30: phone call
Day 60: Phone call
Day 90: (<10 speed discs) Donation to learn to play programs (>10 speed discs) sold to PIAS
Day 91: Funds added to league ace pool
Day 92: Criticized for not going the extra step to return a DX Valkyrie I found 90 day ago

Above and beyond, brother :clap:

I have NO interest in touching anyone else's disc. But, as a club we seem to collect a lot of them, via tournaments and leagues mostly. We throw an end of the year lost and found round. 10 bucks get you a paper grocery bag with two or three random lost disc. (of course, we have made multiple attempts to reunite them previously). 18 holes with only your bag discs and winner get some merch. Funds go to local courses or charity. Lots of fun and usually pretty well attended.

I have NO interest in touching anyone else's disc. But, as a club we seem to collect a lot of them, via tournaments and leagues mostly. We throw an end of the year lost and found round. 10 bucks get you a paper grocery bag with two or three random lost disc. (of course, we have made multiple attempts to reunite them previously). 18 holes with only your bag discs and winner get some merch. Funds go to local courses or charity. Lots of fun and usually pretty well attended.

They did something like this in my neck of the woods. In addition to the disc you got in your bag (which were mostly unserviceable out on the course) you had the option of purchasing better discs for $5 each and could play with those discs.

When you opened your bag and found a Tursas, a DX Leopard, and a Mamba and there were multiple 600+' par fours and the winds were going to be in the 20+ mph range all day you were scrambling to find decent used Felon or Thunderbird or anything with some sort of stability.

They probably raised as much money selling additional discs as they did with all of the entry fees.

They did something like this in my neck of the woods. In addition to the disc you got in your bag (which were mostly unserviceable out on the course) you had the option of purchasing better discs for $5 each and could play with those discs.

When you opened your bag and found a Tursas, a DX Leopard, and a Mamba and there were multiple 600+' par fours and the winds were going to be in the 20+ mph range all day you were scrambling to find decent used Felon or Thunderbird or anything with some sort of stability.

They probably raised as much money selling additional discs as they did with all of the entry fees.

Pretty good idea.

I think maybe selling another bag for another 10 bucks might be cool too. We fill the bags randomly, but usually have enough to ensure a driver and a mid/putter in each bag. Last year I got a Latitude 64 Scythe and a glow Gator. I thought I was going to throw my back out trying to flex those all over a short course. Although, the Gator is now a staple in my glow bag.