• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

lost disc's

atlskw

Just wondering how many people actually return disc's that they find when there is a phone number on them. I have lost over the years about 7 disc's from errant throws or lost in snow, wherever but no one has ever called my phone to tell me that they found them. Very dissappointing as I have found 3 disc's and two had numbers on them. I called and met up with these fellow golfers and returned them. What goes around isn't coming around for me. I would like to hear from others that have actually had their disc's returned.

hopefully this stays on track...ive returned countless discs and have only had one returned. it was a first run destroyer about 8 months after i lost it.

hopefully this stays on track...

Not likely. But I'll bite.

I've gotten a very small percentage of my lost discs back. It certainly nice when I do though. More often than not, it's not a phone call that gets them back to me, it's someone I know seeing my name in the lost and found.

And as for the original question: yes I always call if there's a phone number.

I don't count on getting my lost discs back, but would offer a very nice reward for some of the ones I have lost. I have had a couple retuned (out of easily 30+, maybe more like 40-50) and one returned 2 times. It has always been from someone that I personally know. My signature method for losing discs lately has been leaving them on the fairway but I have lost plenty in the water as well... maybe some have been knowingly (if only in the back of my mind) sacraficed.
I always call or just leave the disc at some kind of lost and found. Often times, the person will offer up a reward for a returned disc. Sometimes much better than the disc itself... I would think that knowing how you would feel in the same situation should be satisfaction enough.

I have had two lost disc returned to me and returned one that I found that had a number on it. One that I found that didn't have a number on it, I left at the picnic tables next to the first tee at my home course.

I've found 3 so far returned 1. The one that I returned was the only one with ink. The only one I felt bad about keeping was a Star Eagle X that I found after helping the owner look for it for about 20 minutes. We didn't find it. Like three holes later after we parted ways I found it. Carried it the rest of the day looking for the guy and never found him. The third was another star eagle no ink no one else on the course claimed it.

The first guy's disc I found I mailed back to him and he sent me a DX Roc. I was pretty new to disc golf at the time and I thought it was sweet that he sent me something back for finding his disc. Ever since then I've tried to return whatever I could.

I've found dozens and returned the ones with names. I've also lost about 20 discs and maybe seen 5 of them back (with one being returned twice, then found by me 3 months after losing it once the snow melted! I can't lose that SL!)

I have called 3 or 4 people about their disc, and have been called for my own discs 4 times. One was too much hassle so I said keep it, one was returned by a guy on a cross country trip, and one was returned twice. Pretty good disc karma

I just got a new bottle of this and I hope I don't have to use it:

Z-42sssm.jpg

I'll also post this before somebody puts up some ignorant feedback about "finder's keepers" or other such nonsense to justify their morally questionable possession of an item that is not theirs:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/18/00.039.024.000..HTM

and feel free to review my post here:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=780384#post780384

I know there are a million threads on this, so I suppose this is post whoring for me?

I return discs that have names or numbers, and I even tried yesterday to return a disc with neither!

1. Name and number, called but disc owner changed numbers and the new person did not want it.
2. Just has a first initial and last name. I googled the disc type (Ace Race), the initials and google returned an e-mail/website of the guys (ends up he is one of the guys who helps maintain the local courses).
3. had a Richmond number but it wasn't readable, also had a first name (see 4)
4. I found a few weeks later with another Richmond number, texted the guy he told me to keep it if I wanted and maybe we could play if I was in Richmond, I asked if he knew a person by the name that was on #3 he said she was in his league and would ask if she wanted it back.
5. I found yesterday Custom Stamp Tourny, no name no number, but it was an illinois disc here in VA. I googled the event and e-mailed the TD if the disc was a prize to the winner(s) or sold as a fundraiser. She said it was sold (so there is NO way for me to find out whose it was) so I gave up on that one.

I know 3 guys who collectively have found (and I kid you not) 57 discs. 70% of which had names, numbers, and e-mails. None of them have gotten calls back and I've kept saying that they need to. IT doesn't help that these guys have since lost the only 2-3 discs they bought so they feel they NEED to use others discs.

I've only lost 1 disc (2 days ago at my home course) and I don't ink mine so I don't expect to get it back, unless by chance a DGCRer finds it and sees I posted it as lost on here -_-

Last edited:
I am horrible at cold calling, I hate doing it for discs, I hate doing as a teacher when calling about a student. However, I will ALWAYS give the disc to a person I know who WILL call. Now, my track recording for having discs returned is pitiful. The only two discs I have had serious inquiries about having returned in the last year has been a Groove and a Pulse. I know someone is sitting out there with my dyed Opto River, the only disc in the last three years I have lost where I would go out of my way to get back.

In the last year I have received two calls from people who had no intention of returning my disc. In both cases they just wanted to let me know that they had found it and were going to put them to use.

I am horrible at cold calling, I hate doing it for discs, I hate doing as a teacher when calling about a student. However, I will ALWAYS give the disc to a person I know who WILL call.

That's why I text instead of calling. If it's not a cell phone number on the disc then oh well. I text all of the numbers I find and have given most of them back. I won't give discs to people that say they'll give them to the person because both times I did it they were still playing with it weeks later when I ran into them on the course.

I've returned 2 discs to there rightful owners. One I called the number on the disc I found, the other one was one of my friend's discs that he had lost the previous day so I just returned it.

I've had 1 call about a disc of mine being found, but I had already replaced it so I told them they could just keep it. If I give up on a disc I give up. I would like a call but I'm not going to be upset if someone else finds it and uses it instead.

Yeah, I think I've only had one disc ever returned that I lost (by a guy I play with weekly). In the 7 years I've been playing, I've lost 9 discs and my youngest son has lost 7 more. 1 out of 16 is not good odds. One of the others that I lost at the 2007 Bowling Green(KY) Ams I did get called about but I thanked the guy and told him to keep it. The call came from a guy in San Diego in 2010 who found it at Morley Field.

I've probably found about 100 labeled discs in the same time with probably 3 out of 4 getting back to the owner. A few disconnected numbers, No call backs, Or "Just Keep It" - Then there was the one girl who went off because the disc belonged to her EX-boyfriend and she "didn't want to hear that name". If regular players (meaning league/tourney guys) find things they are usually pretty considerate and call. If found by the casual guy drinking with his buddies then your odds are not as good.

If regular players (meaning league/tourney guys) find things they are usually pretty considerate and call. If found by the casual guy drinking with his buddies then your odds are not as good.

I find this incredibly true. It could be that if you take the time and or have the passion to play in a league or tournament, you have enough respect for the game and those who have spent money on it. You do on to others as you wish would happen to you. People at tournaments are very good about bringing found discs to the TD so they can be displayed later.

Yet this could be that it is so much easier to drop off a disc you know will find its way back to the owner without having to actually make a call.

Plus, at league and tournaments there are more people who will scrutinize your behavior if you decide to keep the disc, especially if there is a stranger on your card.

Then again, when playing solo or with a group of close friends in an informal manner, at the end of the day who is going to question you? Most likely you are with a group of friends who have the same values as you.

On a side note, most to all the discs I have found recently have been of the DX, Pro D variety with no numbers on them while the majority I have lost have been VIP, Gold Line, Opto, high end etc. The only "winner" I have found without a name or number is an old school bar stamped dyed Crush in 9.25/10 condition.

Last week ben at the throw shop saw me in the p lot and brought me a disc i lost long ago. I then gifted it.
Last month a local player saw me at the mills and ret'd one from last year. A few weeks before that i recieved a gift (barstamp challenger) for returning a few discs over a few years to a guy- my first return to him actually got me into playing leauges and such. I even lost a challenger with only my name but a good frisbeetarian looked me up on dgscene and sent me a message.
Theres a lot of good folks around here :)

I havent found any plastic yet this year but in ten yrs of discin i have returned quite a few.

So i just recieved a call for the avenger i gifted. Lol
since i gave it to my buddy for free i told dude to keep it.

Just had another disc returned to me this evening. After the round I went by the picnic tables where one of the course "elders" had set up a display of like 20 discs he and others had found. There was my Leopard. I had lost is several weeks ago and my number wasn't quite legible.