• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

lost my main BH driver...what should I do?

SAxDrc

Birdie Member
so today I threw my 175 champion beast and left it on the fairway, by the time I realized I had forgotten it, it was gone. I am debating if I should buy another beast, a different disc, or just stick with what I've got.

I try to play equally FH and BH based on the direction of the basket and I try not to the same disc for different throws (have certain discs for BH and others for FH). I used the Beast exclusively for BH.

here is what I have and how far I throw it BH on average

dx Aviar: 200-250'
Z Comet: 250-270'
KC Pro Roc: 250-270'
Element X: 250-270'
dx Leopard: 270-290'
champ. beast 270-300' (lost)

today I was trowing a friend's stalker and it seemed to go as far as the beast but with better control. I am debating if I should buy another beast, a stalker, some other disc, or just stick with what I've got. I have a feeling it might be good for me to stick with slower stuff...

a 175 beast may fly totally different than your other.

It could be domier, it could possibly be a differences mold, and of course it will not be beat in the same.

I would recommend a Champion Eagle-X. At your distances, an Eagle is all the more disc you really need anyway, and it will teach you how to throw. Once you start cracking 350' or so, then you could step up to some faster stuff (Wraith, Avenger, etc.) In the meantime, the Eagle should fly similarly to the Beast (maybe more overstable)

a 175 beast may fly totally different than your other.

It could be domier, it could possibly be a differences mold, and of course it will not be beat in the same.

I usually try discs before I buy if I can; and I know mine was the newer mold beast. and if i bought one that wasn't as beat in it would give me reason to play more!

What are the weights of the above mentioned discs?

The beast is a good all purpose distance driver.....

but, i cant but help to mention that you have a huge gap between your leopard and your beast.

If anything, i'd think that a Teebird/Eagle AND a Wraith/Beast would be the best solution. (All 4 are good bh and fh options).

I second the Eagle idea... Possibly a Teebird. The Stalker is a great disc but I haven't given it much attention since I picked up a Teebird. It's a bit more stable, but easy to work with.

Edit: Beat to the punch. Okay, I third the Eagle idea.

I would go try a Force or a Crush. They are a tad bit more overstable than the beast but they bomb. first RHBH throw with the force was 320', i dont drive 320' RHBH lol

What are the weights of the above mentioned discs?

The beast is a good all purpose distance driver.....

but, i cant but help to mention that you have a huge gap between your leopard and your beast.

If anything, i'd think that a Teebird/Eagle AND a Wraith/Beast would be the best solution. (All 4 are good bh and fh options).

I'd have to go to my car and look at my discs to tell you exact weights but I know the lightest is the leopard at 167 and the heaviest is the roc at 180. the rest are all 175ish.

I know there was a gap between the leopard and beast. I've tried to throw pretty slow discs until I get some more distance, and the only reason I had a beast at all was because someone gave it to me and I liked it.

with those distances do you think I need more work or should I move up to a faster driver?

get a wraith! star, pro, or even a good old dx! money every time!

Get a king, I was throwing about 300' max , I can throw my king almost 400' mine is VIP plastic same as opto

I'd have to go to my car and look at my discs to tell you exact weights but I know the lightest is the leopard at 167 and the heaviest is the roc at 180. the rest are all 175ish.

I know there was a gap between the leopard and beast. I've tried to throw pretty slow discs until I get some more distance, and the only reason I had a beast at all was because someone gave it to me and I liked it.

with those distances do you think I need more work or should I move up to a faster driver?

i'd be one to think that you'd improve your distance by lightening up. I've found "average joe" males tend to be in the 169-171g ranges.

heavier than your "target weight range" decreases distance at an INCREASE of accuracy. It also stops the full flight of turnover discs (Sidewinders, beasts) as the heavier weight tends to make a thrower UNDERTHROW the disc and not get the full "S" out of it. <- i'd bet your heavy beast probably throws more like a wraith or destroyer to you and much less like a beast or "sidewinder that always fades [hooks] back".

Lighter than your target weight range can increase distance, but DECREASES accuracy. Discs are easier to turn over (High speed drift) and flip into rollers. If your leopard is too squirrelly and inconsistent, go heavier and help it and yourself.

Also, be very keen on plastic...

I'd almost bet that a 170g Champion Beast will push beyond 325' from day 1.

Post your bag in the "shread my plastic" section and sort through the comments to find nuggets of truth.

I'd think, you would find success with adding:
170 Champion Teebird - Fills the gap in between the Leopard and Beast. (A touch lighter than your beast to squeeze out a bit of extra distance without extra effort.) Great FH Disc too.
171 Champion Beast / Katana - Katana is kinda like a longer beast. (A bit heavier to help compensate for the extra power.)
170 Champion Destroyer - It's faster and more precise. (probably longer, although a beast and katana go forever.) Great FH Disc too.

* Note i lightened up the weights.

I've found "average joe" males tend to be in the 169-171g ranges.

In arm strength I'm sure I am actually below average, Im 23 years old, 5'10" and 130 lbs.

the only reason I try to buy as close to 175 as I can find is because I play a lot of ultimate and an ultrastar is 175.

I think I'll try out some lighter discs though, it couldn't hurt.

I second the Eagle idea... Possibly a Teebird. The Stalker is a great disc but I haven't given it much attention since I picked up a Teebird. It's a bit more stable, but easy to work with.

Edit: Beat to the punch. Okay, I third the Eagle idea.

What they said: add a fourth

Eagle X champ or star

In arm strength I'm sure I am actually below average, Im 23 years old, 5'10" and 130 lbs.

the only reason I try to buy as close to 175 as I can find is because I play a lot of ultimate and an ultrastar is 175.

I think I'll try out some lighter discs though, it couldn't hurt.

Small guys represent! 5'8" 110-115 here. Right when I started, I used to buy the heavy cool looking fast discs. Something about discs 170+ was just appealing to me. Since discing down and throwing drivers around 167 I've found that I'm bombing compared to before, be it due to better form or increased confidence.

tl;dr: Light discs.

I had never heard of that until you mentioned it. I googled it and It seems a bit fast and overstable for where I'm at right now.

King is NOT overstable
#'s are off should be roughly 12/5/-1.5/2

EZ to throw

King is NOT overstable

I guess different brands ratings are not the same, but by innova standards 13, 5, -1, 4 would be pretty overstable i think. either way i don't think judging by the numbers is a good strategy I'd rather just throw it and see what it does

Eagles are great, but I would say Teebird. Try some 155-160, im 5'6 125 with arms of a 6 foot guy...

I use flat 155 teebirds for my go to drivers. Orc is a recent addition that took the eagle out of my bag.

i went from my main bh driver being a beast to a champ or star wraith, and eventually evolved to the destroyer, i still throw all of them tho. i have 2 wraiths, one beast and 3 destroyers in the bag among others, thats a healthy setup for my backhand..

Latest posts