• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

lostDoughnut Progression

Looks a lot better. When go to throw you stride too far and kind of jump off rear foot instead of being pulled off rear foot and keeping the same rhythm.

i absolutely identify with how kyle berkshire rocks back and forth (does a little shimmy) before he does the bigger weight movement back and forth.

OhlZTI.gif

(gif from this thread https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140213)

I thought about that during todays practice and i felt more comfortable when building up the momentum. I feel i was also doing the 'battering ram'

, then i transitioned into the double dragon/ can can drill.

onto my video:

slow motion facing chest
(from 0 to the ~35 seconds i was thinking of kyle berkshire initial pre movement / battering ram. then from then on im thinking of transitioning into double dragon drill. from 0.51 -> 0.54 hopefully the movement is seen that i am trying to rotate my shoulders more counter clockwise to create more tension in my core, basically trying to resist the hips moving clockwise)

normal speed from behind

1. am i to resist the torque from my drive leg by rotating my shoulders counter clockwise?
2. the reason i am looking back is because im trying to keep my shoulders rotating counterclockwise while my drive leg makes my hips move clockwise in order to build up more lag (i dunno if this is best practice)
3. i made no effort to use my left leg in any way to drive any movement or build any momentum.
4. this movement is tiring. :D . im kicking more with my legs vs being a surgeon. still room to improve but believe we are moving the the right direction :hfive:

i was thinking of kyle berkshire initial pre movement / battering ram. then from then on im thinking of transitioning into double dragon drill.

Try doing it the other way. Start out with the double dragon leg swing kick motion (or, maybe just single dragon more like a Hershiser drill). Focus on the free-wheeling, swinging-like-the-walking-gait feeling of the lead leg. Sometimes wearing a heavier boot-type shoe can accentuate the feeling of abandoning the lead leg to gravity as you fall forward.

Then, tighten it up like Berkshire's pre-swing routine. But try to retain the same lead leg free-wheeling, swinging-like-the-walking-gait sensation without actually lifting the lead leg up much off the ground (the heel comes up & the foot de-weights/ loses pressure into the ground but keep the big toe part of the shoe in contact w/ the ground). Should work better.

Also, try to focus on hamstring feel vs. quads during the weight/ ground pressure transition. To get a feel for the difference: Try walking backwards. This should activate your quads more. You don't want this to be the predominant leg feeling in the disc golf swing. It should be a more hamstring-centric feel like the walking forward motion.

Hope this helps. I'm working on this stuff, too.

1. am i to resist the torque from my drive leg by rotating my shoulders counter clockwise?
2. the reason i am looking back is because im trying to keep my shoulders rotating counterclockwise while my drive leg makes my hips move clockwise in order to build up more lag (i dunno if this is best practice)
3. i made no effort to use my left leg in any way to drive any movement or build any momentum.
4. this movement is tiring. :D . im kicking more with my legs vs being a surgeon. still room to improve but believe we are moving the the right direction :hfive:

1. No.

2. Not good trying to get x-factor separation that way rotationally, looks painful - see vids below. I think of it as linear separation, and everything rotates more together and the rotational separation just happens automatically. In Door Frame Drill hips and shoulders should get pulled counter-clockwise together, but the right hip separates linearly from the right shoulder.

3. Not sure what you mean. Anything the right leg does, should be mirrored by the left leg back and forth. There shouldn't be much difference in the amount of effort or work done by one side vs the other side, although I technically it should probably be a 2:1 ratio from backswing to actually throwing forward so the backswing has half the effort of forward.

4. Yes, it is a great workout in general, but should be much more fluid with everything working together in correct sequence.

Frame 1 - This is where our feet start forward. Note how my right hip and shoulder have swung back behind my left ankle/hip/shoulder. You are pinched/jammed up and not allowing your backswing much space to work with.

Frame 2 - Feet crossing. Note how my right hip has gone forward and shoulder swings back further linearly. Your right shoulder and hip both move forward together, and then you try send/rotate your shoulders back too late and your motion and sequence gets all screwy here.

Frame 3 - Landing. Note how much linear separation I have between my right hip and shoulder even though the shoulder has moved forward in space a little, it has more separation like a sling shot. Note how open your front foot and pelvis is landing and trying to rotate your upper body back, so your lower spine is bearing the brunt and you are all twisted up rotationally and hugging yourself. If you actively try to rotate your shoulders back you will start sending the hips forward rotationally.

weSJkaI.png

1st video. i believe i understand. i need to create that stretch during the backswing as thats safer. vs what i did in the video by creating that stretch during the downswing (via actively trying to rotate my shoulders counter clockwise)

2nd video. legs need to work together to get upper body to move. that really made sense knowing what i know now. i believe i have been doing this all wrong for a long time.

Also, try to focus on hamstring feel vs. quads during the weight/ ground pressure transition. To get a feel for the difference: Try walking backwards. This should activate your quads more. You don't want this to be the predominant leg feeling in the disc golf swing. It should be a more hamstring-centric feel like the walking forward motion.

Hope this helps. I'm working on this stuff, too.

thank you for the response! :thmbup: i needed that reminder. i remember watching one of the baseball videos saying we dont want to be in a quad dominate position. im reverting back to old bad habits!

Id like to add cliff notes of issues i had/ currently have so its all in one location

1.Your rear foot should get pulled off the ground from the kick and your CoG leading after having been driven/resisting the pull of the backswing going away from target.
2.Really helps if you swing both arms separately instead of keeping them both on disc. Make a lefty backhand swing going into backswing. Your left arm is blocking your rotation in backswing which also helps shifting back forward. Note how it looks like I'm about to punt the disc.
3.In the Double Dragon you need to get your arms swinging in front of your body. Your arms are hanging behind you and trying to reachback way too late which is part of why you tip over too far. Crunch your abs like punting the disc. Think door frame drill and how the arm is already back and the lower body moves forward with the arm lagging behind.
4.Just focus on kicking the crap out the can or ball targetward with your leg swinging. The kick should swing toward the right/inside(not left) if your rear foot is anywhere close to perpendicular.

Its hard to slow myself down.:doh: . Initially i started the movements going too quickly. Then I began to slow down the movements. Eventually when movement speed was matched with my balance ( i toppled over in all sorts of directions practicing) i believe i started to feel some stretching going on.:clap: . still room for improvement:hfive:

video below is normal video recording speed. my movements were slow so i could get a feel for what was going on.

1. I believe what was noted in my last video(video posted on 10/4/2021) still applies to the video i just posted. (Frame 1 , Frame 2, and Frame 3 notes)
2.i noticed my spine is tipped over. i believe this is from me trying to reach out with my arm (shown in image below)
spine.jpg

for fun, not to be audited. i just wanted to see what would happen :D:D

The field I am at i feel i struggle to maintain balance. be the cause from unflat ground or overall bad form/balance from myself.

the videos are a few days old. i am gonna practice today but want to keep an order of progress videos.

normal speed, view from chest. (40 second marker is where i get into the drill. i thought it might be good to show everything)

adding this movement while throwing a disc. my form severly digresses when trying to throw a disc :sick:. thats what practice is for :D

todays results are below

normal speed, view from chest

my notes for above:
1. seems my shoulders turn following my hips a bit too soon. i am going at a slower pace

individual good throw (throw that i felt was good)

bunch of throws to show patterns of my technique (throwing wraiths into a strong headwind [crosswind left to right])

my notes for above:
1. feel unbalance alot of times
2. feel cramped when i go to throw the disc. feel like im all contorted up and cant move around my pelvis/abs area

Last edited:
Lower body motion is looking better in the perpetual motions, but when you go to throw you are doing something different and jumping off the rear foot instead of being pulled off it.

You aren't letting go of your arms and lagging them behind your body shift. You are pulling your elbows ahead of your shift and down into your hips and across your body toward right tee so your swing is really short, instead of sending them much further forward and outward away from body toward left tee, throwing bows and pimp smacks. Don't be afraid of some chaos or being on verge of out of control like being drunk or drunken boxing. Your shift forward and brace should bring the elbow forward past the body.

Last edited:

What is this gif from?

Anyways LostDoughnut, There is a severe disconnect between the upper and lower body. You've got to remember you hips and shoulders are connected through the spine. I'd check out the inside wall drill. IDK if I really agree with crouching tiger hidden dragon as a practical way of learning to throw. It's a nice to exaggerating the weight shift, but there's so much going on that's not even close to a balance throw, it seems like it will just engrain bad habits. I'd focus on the hips and shoulders moving together and getting your upper arm more out away from your body.

What is this gif from?

Anyways LostDoughnut, There is a severe disconnect between the upper and lower body. You've got to remember you hips and shoulders are connected through the spine. I'd check out the inside wall drill. IDK if I really agree with crouching tiger hidden dragon as a practical way of learning to throw. It's a nice to exaggerating the weight shift, but there's so much going on that's not even close to a balance throw, it seems like it will just engrain bad habits. I'd focus on the hips and shoulders moving together and getting your upper arm more out away from your body.
I think you misunderstand the double dragon drill, it is not exaggerating the weightshift, it's actually the opposite and keeping your center very compact if you are doing it correctly. It's exaggerating the arms and legs moving/whipping away from the dynamically balanced center back and forth.

i was a bit frustrated towards the end of the last practice :wall:. i feel i have been focusing on legs so much that i lost that connection between lower and upper body. i know thats how practicing can go at times. we will improve . thank you for the improvement notes!!!:hfive:

this was from yesterday. these dont need to be audited. i just want to keep a timeline of my progress. i know what i need to do, just more practice + balance. trying it in my apt just before writing this up and i feel my arms are better than whats in the video.

can can drill + driving with plant leg to pull drive leg off the ground

double dragon drill with updated loading arrow/bow arm movement (first time with arm doing this movement)

Try to keep your front foot more turned back thru the kick and plant. You open way up pointed at target.

Make a lefty backhand swing going into backswing. Your left arm is blocking your rotation in backswing which also helps shifting back forward. Note how it looks like I'm about to punt the disc.

this quote has been very beneficial along with doing the double dragon drill. those two have helped me get the feeling of turning my shoulders more. i have been horrible at getting my shoulders rotated enough and a few days ago when i went to a course with a friend to have fun that was the one thing i thought about and wow could i tell a difference.

this video is just to show my initial use of my left arm and putting it in a better position. i really have neglected updating that left arm movement. it can def be improved but its leaps better than it was a couple weeks ago

Last edited:
I had been focusing so much on my legs that felt like i needed to take a break and back up. The comment made about my elbow dropping really has been a recent eye opener for myself. When I slow down my form i can keep my elbow up and i feel the levers working more efficiently (or i think my elbow stays higher up). The issue though is keeping my elbow up constantly, as soon as i try to put any mustard into the throw my elbow drops. almost seems like its a self inflicting issue cause by the extension in the plant legs knee. i feel if i try to place the disc lower to the ground during the backswing that it does more harm than good.

i know my lower body is probably doing bad stuff ( i see myself rotate on my plant foots toe at times) but i have circled back to trying to get my right elbow up and start to incorporate the swim move with my left arm.

ive also been thinking about this. i know the image below has been mentioned in this thread. theres just so many things to remember that i forget :wall:
elbow up explanation.jpg

I was checking out your vids and was curious about the way you hold the discs while bringing it into the body. Do you intentionally hold it so that the flight plate is facing your chest? Does this help solve some issues for you? I'm battling some nose up issues and am curious if this has any relationship there.

sticking with standstills and working on casual upper arm angle to chest. Making sure there is space in front of my chest for the disc to go to when i start the downswing. Also trying out different discs and see what i can throw in a straight-ish line.

i know im still striding to the left. im really hammering on about my right arm angles. that striding is in the docket. :D . these throws are really not too much effort.

i think the first toss my grip slipped, last three i was trying to hyzerflip the discs

left to right crosswind at times

1 lucid captain 171 gram
2 pro katana 169gram
3 pro beast 170 gram
4 pro leopard 173.5 gram
5 pro destroyer 158 gram
6 pro wraith 156 gram
7 pro destroyer 160 gram

I was checking out your vids and was curious about the way you hold the discs while bringing it into the body. Do you intentionally hold it so that the flight plate is facing your chest? Does this help solve some issues for you? I'm battling some nose up issues and am curious if this has any relationship there.

this is where i picked that up from.

the timestamp posted below
https://youtu.be/aADjcR_ZtUw?t=414

it was a foreign feeling at first but im surprised how natural it feels now. (hopefully im doing it correctly as i could have misinterpreted something in the video) . i am intentionally holding it that way. I have nose up issues too at times and when that happens i have to make a more conscience effort to push my wrist down.

Latest posts