• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Love at first throw?

River. My first throw with it was my longest throw ever at the time. I drove with it for a long time. I have since moved up in speed a little but still love that disc.

Buzzz. Wasn't long until I got my first ace and it was retired without a ding on it basically.

The s-P2 was that disc for me. I had used BB Aviars, Rhynos and P1x's as my putters in the past and moving to a stable beadless mold really worked with my grip. Aside from comfort, this thing has parked more holes than any other disc in my bag.

Pro-D Buzzz. I decided to try the Buzzz after I lost the Shark I started out with, and it was immediately obvious that I'd made the right choice. A Truth is my go-to mid now, but the Buzzz still gets thrown.

Dx Rhyno, always wanted to try a Rhyno, but they are somewhat hard to find around here. Finally picked one up about 9 months ago and love it. In dx, it plays more like a putter/mid tweener that you can lay into. Also love its low profile.

Envy. Friend let me throw his and first throw loved it. Picked one up and threw a whole round with just it. I've picked up several plastics and love them all can't determine a favorite plastic yet.

Recycled River. Thought I would try it based on some of the 'what's your favorite disc ...' Threads. I already liked the recycled trilogy plastic. First throw loved it. I had just started throwing a champ Leo3 and round the River better in every way. Straighter when flipped, longer and better fade back to target on a long S turn but able to turn it over.

Prodigy 400s D1. I know Prodigy gets all kinds of hate for reasons I can't quite comprehend, but the first time I threw that disc it went 450 on a prefect hyzer flip, and I immediately made room for several more in my bag.

Then I threw it forehand...and it immediately changed my forehand game. I had previously been unable to throw a forehand more than 250 and was only able to throw with a flick or a predator, but this disc, for whatever reason allows me to throw a beautiful forehand for about 350 with a really straight flight and predictable fade.

Match made in heaven.

I stopped by a PIAS with no specific disc purchase in mind. Picked up a new Trilogy Challenge Thief they wanted nine bucks for. Had never heard of that mold so I looked up the flight numbers online, thought I had a place for it in my bag, and picked it up.

Love that disc!!!

I've had a couple others I picked up at Sports Authority when they were going out of business (Katana, Starfire) that I loved at first throw, but fell out of love with pretty quickly, for reasons that seem obvious now LOL

Pinnacle Rival for me. Bagged since their release

I think it's fair to say the majority of my most beloved disc molds started out not initially making the bag. That being said, first time a disc clicked on the first throw was a Wizard around 10 years back. The most recent has been the M4.

Even though Im not currently bagging one, Trak was like this for me. Got one at a Birdie Bash the first year they did them. Loved it ever since.

Also QMS. Because straight.

Zone. I learned to forehand flick with my MVP Volt. After a lot of nice looking short FH approaches skipped past the target (into a ravine) I decided I needed a slower disc for short FH approaches. Tried a lot of Mids, but the first try with the Zone I parked it and never looked back. Now I've got a good feel for this disc and use it over the Volt for anything I can reach. It wears in a bit, but still won't turn over. Lost my first one, and the new one worked just as well. I haven't had a lot of luck with non-ESP plastic yet, lost my Soft-X on the first throw, but that would help if you need the shot to stick.

In most recent memory...Nova. Until a few months ago I never even gave the mold a chance. It always seemed gimmicky & ugly looking to me. I still think it looks awful but it flies great. They hold any line you put on them. Great teaching tool as well. It always lets me know when my form isn't clean. The first time I ever tossed one it flew laser straight. I have a decent stash of them now. I no longer cycle 3 to 4 KC Aviars for my driving putters. Now I just bag an XT Nova & a Glow Champion BB Aviar.

Latest posts