• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Low fade driver suggestion.

Oh boy...here we go on the journey down the yellow brick fairway to find the golden disc zone in the wizard of torque monkey. :hfive:

worst case scenario try a beast. not a warp speed but it has a comfortable rim for fh and is pretty understable.

leopard, sidewinder, roadrunner, or avenger ss if you like discraft. all are understable drivers but throwing off of increased elevation with a tailwind will make then more stable.

This sounds good.^^^^

If u wanna "wide rimmed" driver your prolly gonna have a hard fade when it slows down. Learn to use a fairway driver and it should land flat for ya with less fade.

nothing wrong with "discing up" for forehand drives.... but the groove is not the way to go.

but forehand downhill... are you sure you want understable? I'm not a forehand thrower at all. but i thought understable discs acted like overstable when throwing forehand.

jrawk: <--- assumes too much.

The issue I am having is with the downhill and the tailwinds. it is making my drives uncontrollable for my skill level.

ive actually had my champ destroyer in gusts of wind go completely vertical and stick at a 90degree angle with the ground

ive actually had my champ destroyer in gusts of wind go completely vertical and stick at a 90degree angle with the ground

sounds like nose angle issues...its going to be tough to find a fast disc that reacts very simliar at high speeds, yet more controllable/less fade at lower speeds. try discing down. i know you said you cant throw a putter 400' but most people cant. im not saying only try a putter, any mid/fairway will do, but keep in mind "par first, birdie second."

obviously everyone wants to shave strokes off of their game, but like you said your skill level is only to the Nth degree. for the time being make consistency your issue, not distance. once you can bang out those straight drives with a mid or something and get your (im completely guessing) 320' all the time, THENNNN bust out your driver.

before i come to any conclusion i probably should have asked, is this an open hole or fairly wooded? my [our] advice my vary accordingly . . .

The issue I am having is with the downhill and the tailwinds. it is making my drives uncontrollable for my skill level.

FWIW...if throwing a putter or mid is out of the question, you can throw an overstable disc down and it should hold a straight line with little fade. If you throw the disc out, it will catch wind and fade. If you try to throw an understable disc down, it will typically end up flipping.

That flash should be a lil better for you then that katana. Its not what i would consider small rimmed either.

i like the flash just i haven't had much time with it. I'm comfotable with my destroyer but it's not the right disc to throw on that hole.

i guess i just need to get out there and just practice.

i have been throwing my axis RHBH and on windier days it flies about 300-325, and my broken in star valk does about the same but isn't as consistent and nowhere near as accurate.

oh u got an axis shuuuuuuhhh

just throw that all day every day. that disc makes my whole bag happier... and soon - lighter.

I can already par this hole consistently just I know it's an easy hole to knock a stroke off my game. After watching Nikko put 7 discs in a row 30ft. from the hole I knew it was possible.

oh u got an axis shuuuuuuhhh

just throw that all day every day. that disc makes my whole bag happier... and soon - lighter.
LOL i've played games with just my axis, and a soft ion. honestly if MVP made a driver that i liked i would only carry 3 discs.

Last edited:
Not a wide rim disc, but i love the orc for FH shots (95% of my drives are FH) Might be something you could look at...

This is a good idea. Orc'll fly nicely in any wind. It's a bit overstable, which is the only thing that's going to resist any wind. I'd recommend something that's just barely overstable though like the Orion LF or a new SL. Too under/overstable and the disc will flop with any wind pressure.

Avenger SS is beautiful, give it a light throw (70%ish) with a 30ish degree hyzer and it will flip straight and give no fade.

Pro Leopard - Out of the box, minimal fade and should be able to be thrown straight under 300' no problem.

What about the groove it seems to have a low fade rating and is understable enough to resist the tailwind.[/QUOTE]

The groove is hands down the best disc for that shot. Im sure everyone on here would agree...

i guess i just need to get out there and just practice.

YES!

I'm comfotable with my destroyer but it's not the right disc to throw on that hole.

try a pro Destroyer if you like the destroyer ... a Star or Pro destroyer will be less stable than your Champ. A lighter Pro Destroyer can get down right rollerish and flippy if not thrown right.

on that note I have a evo Slayer and a opto flow that both are a hair less overstable than my star Destroyer. I'm really digging the Flow for longer holes and tight low FH shots that I need a little fade at the end.

i just picked up a CFR champ katana from smooth sailor. i threw it once, it seems like I could get it to do what I want. Right now i'm getting close to the distance I want RHBH with my surge SS.

Latest posts