• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Low speed turnover

i throw an XD for this shot. or if it needs to be a little longer, a seasoned DX cobra

The nice thing about the Star Mirage as opposed to a beat up baseline putter is that you get to keep the same consistent flight pattern for a much longer period and not be at the mercy of having to cycle discs.

The star mirage sounds a lot like an ace-race sol. I loved the sol, aside from it always fitting a bit weird wedged in with my other discs in my bag... I just stopped using it and didn't seem to miss it in the bag, until I was confronted with a bunch of touch right turn shots I needed that I couldn't use a forehand on the other day, which prompted this question.

I took the sol out when I realized that I could get more consistent anny shots with a buzzz, and a more reliable straight approach with a ringer GT, both staples in my bag. What I didn't account for was the short right hand turning touch shot. Turns out the mako3 even at really slow speeds rides a very solid anhyzer line, far more reliably than my AR sol, and it feels closer to a buzzzz in hand so for me, it seems like the perfect fit. Just kind of surprised me after I shelved it for a couple years.

Under 200' you should really be throwing putters if you want them to hold the right turn. A midrange will need to be seriously understable to flip on its own with a <200' throw. Even my beat X Comet will fly a straight line on a short touch shot, it needs some speed to really flip. People throw Ultrastars dead straight for those distances in Ultimate.

Basically for a midrange, you're going to be somewhat forcing it over no matter what. And then it's a very fine line between a smooth turnover and a cut roller.

I throw a beat up putter for this slot. It will be much more forgiving and better suited to the distance range. But more often than not, I just throw a forehand with a Zone or Gator instead.

Under 200' you should really be throwing putters if you want them to hold the right turn. A midrange will need to be seriously understable to flip on its own with a <200' throw. Even my beat X Comet will fly a straight line on a short touch shot, it needs some speed to really flip. People throw Ultrastars dead straight for those distances in Ultimate.

Basically for a midrange, you're going to be somewhat forcing it over no matter what. And then it's a very fine line between a smooth turnover and a cut roller.

I throw a beat up putter for this slot. It will be much more forgiving and better suited to the distance range. But more often than not, I just throw a forehand with a Zone or Gator instead.

Totally agree. I will say, while it's easier to flick some beef for this shot, if you need to land with no skip, or don't have room for a flick flex/hyzer line, a putter turnover is a good shot to have in the bag

Totally agree. I will say, while it's easier to flick some beef for this shot, if you need to land with no skip, or don't have room for a flick flex/hyzer line, a putter turnover is a good shot to have in the bag

That's why I carry a soft X or JB Zone, so it sticks when it lands.

But I also know there's a time and place for a smooth putter turnover. Sometimes it's impossible to get the sideways motion you need with a forehand, you'll get a lot further sideways by letting an anhyzer pan out slowly. Or maybe you actually want it to fight out a little bit and finish straight. Problem is you usually need quite a bit of height for those kinds of shots to work.

That's it tho, I'm using the stability of the midrange to hold an anny line instead of trying to turn a slower disc. My star mako3 seems to be fairly forgiving at not turning into a cut roller but instead rides a nice gliding arc and lands softly, whereas the sol is another story and fits your description a bit more. As for the forehand, I do the same. This is for a lie that's like you have to reach way left to get around a thick shrub with a ceiling (so no grenade option) and forehand is out of the question because everything to the right is thornbushes, but the basket is just on the right hand side of the shrub 50 feet ahead.

I meant to say like 100 feet ahead. The mako3 seems to hold onto that line a bit longer than does the buzzz and floats way better than my ringer gt. Certainly no panacea, but I got my question answered I think. Thanks everyone