• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Low Tops vs. Mids and High Tops

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
Just wondering if any of you think that there are any advantages and disadvantages when comparing shoes that you play in? Reason I ask is that I'm about to make a $120 purchase on a pair of Merrils strictly for DG. They offer the shoe I'm gonna get in both low tops and mid tops. Truthfully, I've only ever played in low tops. Any advantage of playing in mids, such as more ankle support, etc.?

Low as I can get 'em. Need that "ankle freedom". Allows me to straddle putt and step around stuff so far you think my nuts would touch the ground.

I went with lows (Merrell Moab Ventilators) because you're not doing much change-of-direction in disc golf. The most "movement" is in the pivot, but you need to be up on your toes (or heels if you're Nate Doss) anyway. If you twist hard flat footed then there's no height to a shoe that can save you from that injury - your ankle and knee will hurt. I've fractured one ankle and grade-2 sprained the other in my basketball career, so I'm very protective of my ankles (never play basketball in low cut shoes, won't even play Horse or 21), but like I said - I didn't feel the need for higher tops because I'm not changing direction at full speed.

On the other hand, I'm 6'4 190 with a lanky/athletic build - and I think since how your weight sits on your feet/ankles differs depending on your build, body shape, and center of gravity - your shoe choice will probably differ as well.

I have the Moab Mids. Second pair.
If you are playing on alot of uneven terrain it is better to go with the mids. The mids are not too constricting. The point of my ankle is just slightly above the top part of the padding in the Moab Mid. I get great support from there down. That is the part of the ankle that is most likely to let go on you.

I like the added ankle support the mid offers. There are several courses that I play often that are pretty rugged, and I know that I would have rolled an ankle more than once if not wearing the mids.

I almost always play in low top moabs (I have the gore-tex ones, not the ventilators). The tiny bit of extra weight adds up over a long day, and unless it's wet/muddy/snowy I don't find a need for higher shoes. If you have ankle problems and are prone to twisting or spraining yours, it might be a different story though.

Guess I'm in the minority here but I prefer mid or high tops. I don't have any ankle problems and I'd like to keep it that way. Way too many times I've stepped on some kinda schitt on the ground and felt my ankle twist/roll almost to that point of getting sprained...only to be saved by the shoes I'm wearing. Maybe I just need to pay better attention to where I'm walking...

I didn't notice much of a difference between lows and mids. Mids are obviously covering more...but it doesn't affect my game really. I also straddle putt.

Recently ordered a pair of Merrel Outlands (http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/12462M?green=19232956278), which should arrive tomorrow. I predominantly wear lows but have played with mid-height hikers, Orginal SWAT's, and even played a tournament last summer barefoot (the appropriately named Hotfoot Open at http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=334). My main concern is that my footwear (or lack thereof) is light and flexible and appropriate for the current conditions of the course to be played.

I haven't bothered buying shoes for DG yet but always play in skater shoes unless it is muddy or there is a lot of snow. I have bad ankles and for some reason mids and high tops cause more issues in my ankles than low tops/skater shoes. I plan on moving into the Merrell Moabs soon though.

I went with lows (Merrell Moab Ventilators) because you're not doing much change-of-direction in disc golf. The most "movement" is in the pivot, but you need to be up on your toes (or heels if you're Nate Doss) anyway. If you twist hard flat footed then there's no height to a shoe that can save you from that injury - your ankle and knee will hurt. I've fractured one ankle and grade-2 sprained the other in my basketball career, so I'm very protective of my ankles (never play basketball in low cut shoes, won't even play Horse or 21), but like I said - I didn't feel the need for higher tops because I'm not changing direction at full speed.

Now looka here son, it may not be full speed changing direction, but the x-step is a lateral movement and lateral movement or rolling is how most ankle sprains occur. Also since we are often on uneven ground this puts a lot more stress on the ankle than a flat court. It doesn't take a whole lot to sprain the ankle, just taking one bad step walking is typically enough to sprain. Most of the top pros heel pivot.

Guess I'm in the minority here but I prefer mid or high tops. I don't have any ankle problems and I'd like to keep it that way. Way too many times I've stepped on some kinda schitt on the ground and felt my ankle twist/roll almost to that point of getting sprained...only to be saved by the shoes I'm wearing. Maybe I just need to pay better attention to where I'm walking...

This is exactly why I perfer mids. I use to be able to play barefoot, but almost rolled my ankle and ever since I've been having it happen more and more. I'm getting old.:thmbdown:

I wear an old pair of my military boots. They cover above my ankle and it does help. they are waterproof to about the tongue opening which is great for those course you have to ford a stream here and there.