• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rodney's bag, your thoughts!

rodney5756

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG on and off last ten years, competitive starting last year
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Judge: 200/230; Roc3: 280/300; Leo3: 310/350, about the same for anything over 10spd

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Low back injury that flares up after 18, makes tourneys fun lol
Other sport proficiencies?: Football, Track (discus and shotput)
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Love DD, and the fact that I have just about a full trilogy bag. Dislike that I can't seem to feel like my bag is all set, always looking for new discs to try
Specific areas of desired feedback: looking for overlap, and suggestions for new trilogy
Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to have more consistency in the short-term, and gain additional distance in the long-term, would love to break 400'

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
171 Star Leo3, 7/10- use for long drives and longer anny lines
172 Recycled Gold River, 9/10, long straight shots... need to throw this one more
Fuzion or Bio Trilogy Challenge stamp Thief, not sure on weight, 8/10, flex drives, need to practice hyzer flips with this
170ish Lucid Getaway, 9/10, straight drives w/ slight turn and hard fade
170ish Fuzion 2x Wysocki Felon, 7/10, forehand drives around 200ft. (need to work on forehand distance)

Also bag a Fuzion captain, Fuzion Defender, and SE Raider that I RARELY throw lately, after committing to master my fairways first. Considering some Air plastic discs, Trespass, and Defender most likely.

Mids:
Lucid Patrol, 9/10, shorter anny lines and flick get-out-of-trouble shots
Fuzion Emac Truth,9/10, Almost always turn this over trying to throw it straight, need to practice with it more. I want to like this disc, but I'm not consistent with it yet.
R-Pro Roc,5/10, my most beat disc. used to be the straightest disc ive ever seen with a 3 fade, but is getting more beat in, and starting to turn and not come back. can't seem to take this outta my bag, but maybe soon. looking for a replacement...
Fuzion Verdict, 8/10. longer straight shots with decent fade. hoping this'll be my roc replacement as it beats in.
Lucid Suspect, 9/10. shorter straight shots with harder fade, or short flick upshots.
VP (Westside) Anvil, 9/10 not thrown often, VERY overstable. considering taking this out... but I had a 150ft FH throw-in with it once lol

Putters: all 175g
Lucid Judge, 9/10, driving putter, straight to slight Understable. need to drive with it more and practice...
Classic SS Judge, upshots to fast greens, hits and sticks. does like to stick to my fingers on throws though....
2 classic blend Judges for anything inside 60ft putting. When one starts acting up, I can swap it out.

Overall I like a slightly softer feel and flex on my discs. let me know what you think, and thanks for the read :)

If your bag pleases you, then it's fine. However, you posted this here so one can only assume that 'there's something wrong with it' even if its minor.

I will propose strong medicine for you, since your primary stated goal was consistency.

By my count, your bag has 11 molds, not counting putters. Reduce this number to 4 (not including putters), with multiples of each, all of the same weight, and discipline yourself to play under this restriction.

This will, by and large, eliminate the 'equipment' variable from your results and enable you to fully focus on improving your form and mental skills during play.

I will propose strong medicine for you, since your primary stated goal was consistency.

By my count, your bag has 11 molds, not counting putters. Reduce this number to 4 (not including putters), with multiples of each, all of the same weight, and discipline yourself to play under this restriction.

OUCH. Strong medicine indeed.

Which 4 molds do you suggest? I would lean toward Verdict, Emac Truth, Getaway, and... maybe the River?

Not going to endorse specific molds, as what I like won't help your game.

It doesn't really matter which molds, since all the major manufacturers have molds which are more than adequate - the point is to not obsess about that particular dimension of golf until you work yourself into a position where these tiny distinctions will really matter in your results. They simply do not matter for most people (other than psychological comfort - raising one's game requires discomfort).

Even more radical would be to go with the putter-mid-driver set-up. Most radical would be to play only putters until you master all the flight lines with them and can throw one at least 325' consistently...the fewer decisions you need to make, during the round, the better off you will be...good luck on your journey...

In looking at your bag, there was only one thing that I have a question about: is your Leopard3 redundant with your River? Or do they fly differently?

In looking at your bag, there was only one thing that I have a question about: is your Leopard3 redundant with your River? Or do they fly differently?

I've had the Leo for a while, and the river is a new addition. not quite as US, but being recycled I imagine that won't take long.

In taking the weekend to think about my bag... here's where im landing:

Rodney's New bag
Putters wont change except removing the SS Judge... too sticky for me. may add it back for winter golf...

Mids will be Suspects and Emac Truths. Got a Lucid Emac otw, and a Prime Suspect that I'll beat in to not be a meathook.

fairways will be getaway, and River or Thief, need to play with those 2 this week to see which feels right to shape shots with.

Have a Tourney this coming weekend, I'll update where I'm at before then (Probably)

Wish me luck haha:thmbup::):thmbup:

I don't throw DD/Trilogy any more, but I used to so I'm pretty familiar with the lineup.

Try the Witness if you want to convert that Leo3 into a flippy trilogy disc.

Also, I see you throw the Getaway, but I highly recommend you try the Escape. It's got a ton of glide and it doesn't dump as hard as the Getaway (from my memory). It's got a softer, more forward pushing fade rather than a harder, crash to the ground immediately left like the Getaway.

Also, I see you throw the Getaway, but I highly recommend you try the Escape. It's got a ton of glide and it doesn't dump as hard as the Getaway (from my memory). It's got a softer, more forward pushing fade rather than a harder, crash to the ground immediately left like the Getaway.

I picked up a Getaway today in SE Fuzion plastic, going to be less OS.

I do want to try to minimize the molds I have, so as much as I want to pick up a Witness (I have been looking at it for a while now hahah) I think I'll try bending the River or Thief to my will. Both can be flippy, and I already know I like the discs themselves. Gives me less to think about when I pull it outta my bag on a tee.

I'm also 90% sure I'm going to keep my felon in the bag because I love it for forehand drives, which means I'll have 6 molds not including putters.... so shoot me lol :D:D but it's better than 11!

So, my bag now looks like this going into leagues Thursday to test my setup.

Fairways-

Felon, used for forehand drives, and tomahawks
Lucid Getaway, used for longish drives, with a hard left finish and probable skip
SE Fuzion Getaway, supposedly less OS than lucid, looking for longer distance, with a dependable fade, that shouldn't be too ridiculously left.
(Possibly bio?)Fuzion Thief, pure distance with flex lines. Can be turned over and won't come back if thrown on a little bit of anhyzer
Recycled Gold River, Medium long distance, but VERY straight with minimal fade. Useful for tunnels.

Mids-

Lucid Suspect, medium drives with a hard left finish after mostly straight flight. Will also be useful for flick upshots
Prime suspect, Same as lucid now bc it's brand new, but, it'll beat in to be much more straight and less OS. Pretty excited about that...
Lucid Emac Truth, Medium long drives with a subtle left fade, straight to Slight OS, longer than the Suspect.
Fuzion Emac Truth, Straight to US drives, will hold anny lines

Putters-
Lucid Judge, Shorter straight drives very slight fade when thrown a little harder
Moonshine Classic Judge, little bit more fade
2 Classic Blend Judges, both putting putters, either can double as a short upshot putter as well. these will be my most trusted discs.

This gives me 7 total molds, and a lot lighter of a bag.

Excited for this lineup! Thanks for your input so far, will update Friday:D:D

Pulling the felon. Didn't use it at all, instead opting to forehand my lucid getaway, to better effect actually. May still use it in the future, but I'm swapping it out for my fuzion verdict, for a mid-long overstable shot I needed.

Tourney recap-
Rd 1 was the best rated round I've ever shot! Thanks to anyone who's helped shape my bag so far. The River and Thief had the least usage of anything in my bag, but the thief was nice for long flexes. Still working those out.

Rd 2, was the worst round I've ever shot hahah. EXTREMELY windy, and luckily I still had my felon in my car, bc I had to bag it for round 2. Drove with it at least 10 times, to average results. Tough course, tough conditions.

bag update heading into the Summer!

no change to putt and approach discs-
2 blend judges for putting/jump putting short straight approaches, (one dedicated to C1 putting only)
classic hard moonshine judge and Lucid Judge for straight to slight OS putter drives
Prime Burst Suspect for spike hyzer approaches, upshots and short drives with more OS needed
Lucid Suspect for 200-250ft drives with OS fade finish and low skip potential

I feel pretty good about my mid-range setup as well-

Lucid Warrant for US drives, 300 or less, and get out of trouble flicks
Fuzion Emac Truth for straight drives with very slight fade, 300ish ft
Lucid Moonshine Emac Truth for a bit more fade on those same lines
BioFuzion Verdict for a little more fade and distance because I can rip on this and trust it not to flip over.
Fuzion Verdict For beefy goodness. Will hold stability as the Bio breaks in.

My fairways, I feel like I finally have a good lineup here!

Lucid Vandal I LOVE this disc. Just got it, and It booted my Thief from the bag in 1 round. Go-to fairway in no-wind conditions, Flex lines, hyzer-flips, turn-overs, even rollers. Love this disc, as long as there's no wind lol
2x River, Opto is the main and Gold line for a backup. Long Tunnel shots that finish very flat or with just a touch of fade.
SE Fuzion Getaway- Just a bit of Turnover when thrown hard, but still trusty in a bit of wind. Go-to in slight wind conditions.
Lucid Getaway- Straight with Decent fade. Usable in windy conditions, unless its ridiculous, but very dependable.
Fuzion Felon- Mostly used for Forehand drives around 300, or spikes.
Lucid Moonshine Felon- Mostly just a backup, but it is pretty beefy for me. Looks Great too!

No distance drivers, need to continue to work on my form before I bother with them.

I really Like this bag, and with multiples of most molds, I have security in not worrying about losing discs, and knowing how they are going to fly. I'm very excited about this summer!

Really curious to see where you end up with mids. I recently searched for a new mid, and not wanting to give myself too much to think about, tried the EMac Truth and Verdict. Head to head, I decided the Verdict was more what I was looking for. Been throwing two Bio, as suggested by fellow posters, and find them to be slightly straighter than their numbers. Anyways, your bag looks good, I like that you clearly define each disc's role. Happy hucking.

Latest posts