• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lower Power Thrower - Do I really Need Overstable driver??

hendersondayton

Eagle Member
I don't throw much over 300. On a good day, I would say I can get my 167 Star Leopard out to between 285 and 300.

I was interested in adding an overstable driver to my bag. Besides maybe for a stiff Headwind, do I really need an overstable driver? At my power level aren't all of my drivers overstable?

The discs I was looking at for OS are:

Banshee, Firebird, Whippet, Monster, and Max.

My research tells me that the Banshee, Monster, and Firebird produce practically the same flight path. The Max is a little longer and the Whippet is much shorter than all of the others.

at that power level I would suggest a high 160s champ banshee. maybe a 150 champ firebird. Whippet is too much of a meathook and the others are too fast.

Also, are the discs listed in your sig accurate? what are you throwing right now?

At your distance, a champion Teebird or Eagle should do well enough in a headwind. The others you listed will all be very difficult to throw well at all.

Its nice to have something that'll meathook for doglegs, and it'll also be good for tight flex-shots.
Champ Banshee would be my choice outta those discs - Firebird if you FH much.

give them a try, for dogleg fade shots at least. if you find yourself overpowering them into an S curve (and not because the fairway shape demands it), i would stick with your leopard. sounds like it's working well for you.

Besides maybe for a stiff Headwind, do I really need an overstable driver?
Very overstable drivers are remarkably versatile, excelling at FH rollers, overheads, spike hyzers, dramatic S-curves, etc. I did not see the need for a very overstable disc until I started carrying one, and then I could not remember how I managed without one.

At my power level aren't all of my drivers overstable?
The problem with speed-stable discs is that they can flip in a headwind. As victorb said, if you are throwing around 300', a stable driver like a Teebird / Eagle should handle most headwinds. Leopard plus DX Teebird is a classic combination; I add a Champ Teebird on extremely windy days.

The discs I was looking at for OS are:

Banshee, Firebird, Whippet, Monster, and Max.
Champ Banshee would be my recommendation for an overstable disc, because they don't need as much power as some of the others you listed. DX Banshees are longer, but lose stability and become short Teebirds (not a bad thing).

Very overstable drivers are remarkably versatile, excelling at FH rollers, overheads, spike hyzers, dramatic S-curves, etc. I did not see the need for a very overstable disc until I started carrying one, and then I could not remember how I managed without one.

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
What he said.

I'd also recommend a Z Predator. Not a terribly wide rim and it's very comfortable to grip. It's my go to driver when there's a strong headwind, for throws that must end with a sharp fade and sometimes thumbers.

Eagle-X, Star Teebird, Champion Banshee, Firebird, Pred, anything along those line would work but i would stick with something a lil slower first.. i.e. Eagle-X or Banshee... might like a PD..not super overstable but would be enough for you.. like a longer teebird..i use them and 11x Eagle-X's for my OS duties

I have a T-Bird Plus that I have been told would work but I wanted something more OS than that as that is as OS a disc as I have.

Have you thrown the Teebird+ yet? Did it flip in the wind? Was it beefy for you? Did you like it? These are relevant questions. That disc could work fine, it really depends on your throw and preference.

It was not too bad actually. It was pretty nice to throw in the headwind I threw it in. As I recall, it was pretty straight and then fell off left.

I guess that is what you want in a HW.

I'm in your power range I can get my leopard out to 300-325 and I keep a firebird in my bag. It is a versatile disc. I use it to throw dramatic flex shots, forehand cut rollers, thumber pancake shots, I can throw it with a huge anhyzer and always know it's gonna go flat and fade out. For my meat hooks I throw a star orc 175 for longer shots and a star gator 172 for the shorter ones.

I third the Eagle-X motion. Star in the lower 170's and I think you'll fall in love.