• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Machete

So I finally ordered a Machete, but it is in ESP plastic. Anyone have experience with these? I would assume the are a little softer and wear in a little more so if the Z's are super Beef the ESP should be Beef, but like, a lean burger. Hoping the ESP is flat and gets smoothly worn in for a reliable disc flight.

Wouldn't a lean burger be more meaty(beefy) than regular 80/20? I is confuse.

Wouldn't a lean burger be more meaty(beefy) than regular 80/20? I is confuse.

:\ hmmmm good point, but I will go with the Fattier the beefier - IE The more risk of Cardiovascular disease the more overstable. So a lean burger is still beef just a little leaner.....For example. A Force is Beefy but a Stiletto is a widow maker. The Monster is a husky bull, the X1 is a Stroke in the making. Same with the Flick. :popcorn::sick:

:\ hmmmm good point, but I will go with the Fattier the beefier - IE The more risk of Cardiovascular disease the more overstable. So a lean burger is still beef just a little leaner.....For example. A Force is Beefy but a Stiletto is a widow maker. The Monster is a husky bull, the X1 is a Stroke in the making. Same with the Flick. :popcorn::sick:

Just curious, what about classification conventions for understable discs? The further US we get to they become meatless all together (lettuce)? Or maybe more of a white meat (chicken)? Say, a roadrunner is a starved chicken or Brussels sprouts? ... :popcorn:

Take off with it or leave it to my imagination, it doesn't matter. I'll get back to the Machete topic when I get a chance to throw mine (when it warms up reasonably...). cheers.

Just curious, what about classification conventions for understable discs? The further US we get to they become meatless all together (lettuce)? Or maybe more of a white meat (chicken)? Say, a roadrunner is a starved chicken or Brussels sprouts? ... :popcorn:

Take off with it or leave it to my imagination, it doesn't matter. I'll get back to the Machete topic when I get a chance to throw mine (when it warms up reasonably...). cheers.

Haha yeah I'd say really OS discs are like Porterhouse, T-bone, Steakhouse style - Mildly of are like Lean meats or Pork. Nuetral discs like a chicken beast with quinoa, Understable like vegetable soup and really flippy are like vegans:p;):popcorn:
like an Axiom Virus, Lat64 Diamond, Discraft Stinger, DGA Tremor, Starlite Roadrunner are like Tofu and soybean

Haha yeah I'd say really OS discs are like Porterhouse, T-bone, Steakhouse style - Mildly of are like Lean meats or Pork. Nuetral discs like a chicken beast with quinoa, Understable like vegetable soup and really flippy are like vegans:p;):popcorn:
like an Axiom Virus, Lat64 Diamond, Discraft Stinger, DGA Tremor, Starlite Roadrunner are like Tofu and soybean

Sounds fair to me. Suppose I like to throw discs around that Bacon range. Sprinkle in a No-Name steak for when those situations call for it. Personally, I can get by without the Cesar Salad.

New York Strip Midrange (5/3/0/4)

Garden Salad Control Driver (8/5/-3/1)

Chicken and Rice Distance Driver (11/5/-1/2)

sounds like someone should start "Food Line Discs"

Sounds like we should go into business...

New York Strip Midrange (5/3/0/4)

Garden Salad Control Driver (8/5/-3/1)

Chicken and Rice Distance Driver (11/5/-1/2)

hahaha - and a Gumputt putter would be like a SnackPack/Jello

I could go on but I won't ruin this thread any longer. It would be funny though :p:hfive:

For those asking about plastic types, I've been throwing one of the swirly ESP machete's and found it to be the incredibly overstable disc I want it to be. It's an ugly gray/blue with a stupid looking machete guy, but the flight is awesome: hooks up hard, hooks up early, HUGE skips when thrown flat and low. The champion Firebirds I've had were less than FAF, and have been kicked out of the bag by the Machete. Currently pairing it with a Resistor, which I'm using for similar but shorter lines. For comparison, thrown at full power my Machete flies further than the Resistor. Between the two of them most of utility shots are covered. Probably thrown it about 75 times during rounds over the past few months, often in the woods, and have not seen much stability loss yet.

If it loses stability I've also got an unthrown first run Z and I'm currently another Z on the way. Sounds like they hook up hard, too, but I prefer the feel of ESP plastic. Very happy with the Machete and have used it to slice some strokes off my rounds.

For those asking about plastic types, I've been throwing one of the swirly ESP machete's and found it to be the incredibly overstable disc I want it to be. It's an ugly gray/blue with a stupid looking machete guy, but the flight is awesome: hooks up hard, hooks up early, HUGE skips when thrown flat and low. The champion Firebirds I've had were less than FAF, and have been kicked out of the bag by the Machete. Currently pairing it with a Resistor, which I'm using for similar but shorter lines. For comparison, thrown at full power my Machete flies further than the Resistor. Between the two of them most of utility shots are covered. Probably thrown it about 75 times during rounds over the past few months, often in the woods, and have not seen much stability loss yet.

If it loses stability I've also got an unthrown first run Z and I'm currently another Z on the way. Sounds like they hook up hard, too, but I prefer the feel of ESP plastic. Very happy with the Machete and have used it to slice some strokes off my rounds.

awesome, good to hear. I have the exact disc you're describing, The Muscly armed paper boy machete guy is kinda lame but the stamp overall is cool for World Championship and the disc feels like a Pulse bottom with a flatter Crush top, and I really like the feel. The ESP is a little floppier than I wanted but that's ok. it definitely feels like its a speed 10 disc - the Firebird is a 9 so I feel its a little overlap - I will likely bag the resistor again to make the difference more significant from my fairway OS to my control driver OS.

Resistor Machete it is!

Last edited:
^^^ Yeah, I keep a can of acetone by the disc shelf.

Sounds like the stuff from the Ledgestone NukeOS and BuzzzOS runs then. I assumed it would be like the first batch of Swirl ESP Buzzzes. I wonder if stock ESP is running gummier this year as well...

Last edited:
^^^ Yeah, I keep a can of acetone by the disc shelf.

Sounds like the stuff from the Ledgestone NukeOS and BuzzzOS runs then. I assumed it would be like the first batch of Swirl ESP Buzzzes. I wonder if stock ESP is running gummier this year as well...

haha so do I. I got this 100% stuff and my wife uses it for her nails, but I keep it by my discs along with a roll of paper towel, some Q-tips and Cottonballs, haha. I acetone and modify stamps a bit, also it helps clean spots on the rim if you hit some junk and leaves that skid mark stain - acetone is just another item in my Disc Golf Life :hfive:

Just traderd a Luna for a Ti machete. And oh boy is this thing beefy. I was looking to replace my faf star firebird that I lost about a week ago. I used my FB for my os utility disc. When I want to go hard left or right, thumbers, big skip shots and forehand rollers. I feel like this disc can cover my needs after just two rounds with it. It's probably not going to be used a ton but when I need it I think I'll be very happy I have it. Oh and also this thing bombs thumbers. Big nice slow pan. Definitely my farthest thumber disc.

I'm really surprised that the Machete isn't more heavily used by the Discraft pros. What am I missing? I guess they prefer the Nuke OS but the rim on that thing is out of my comfort zone.

To each their own but the Machete, to me, has the most comfortable grip of the over stable Discraft lineup.

I'm really surprised that the Machete isn't more heavily used by the Discraft pros. What am I missing? I guess they prefer the Nuke OS but the rim on that thing is out of my comfort zone.

To each their own but the Machete, to me, has the most comfortable grip of the over stable Discraft lineup.

The Discraft sponsored pros also like the Predator more too if that is still made as it is more like between a Thunderbird and Firebird in flight, as well as the OOP Flick for forehand dominate players. Since the Pro (Pro Tour) level player can get a 9 speed and 10 speed to fly as far as an 11 speed they see the Machete as a not so necessary disc since they have a 12 speed Force or a Punisher in the bag.

Last edited:
Just picked these up to replace my OOP Innova TeeRex (11/4/0/4)
Anyone have lighter weights (upper 160s) they'd like to trade/sell?
I'm looking for a few that can replace my super-beat TeeRex...

I spent the past week working out some forehand technique and was kind of surprised to find out just how much more overstable my zflx machete is compared to all of my other "OS" ones.
It is appreciably more OS than my z raptors or my mammoth.
It is even noticeably more OS than my ESP Flick.

It's fun watching this disc fight out of a turn, which means you can really give it a steep anny and squeeze it through a narrow gap and still correct itself.
I always thought the 2.5 stable flick was the beefiest disc in Discraft's lineup, but my zflx machete laughs at the purported +1 turn of the flick and says, "overstable? Hold my beer"