• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Machete

Predators have a sharp curl just at the rim. Some refer to it as a bead, but it's completely uniform with the concavity of the wing. Bead like in feel, not in design.

What's your opinion of those big z stamps?

I loved the flight of the Predator but just couldn't get over that uncomfortable rim feel. It did irritate my index finger the way a bead does.

I'm not a fan of the Big Z Machete stamp. But then again I like the Big Z Roach stamp so to each their own.

These are fast. I'm guessing by the rim size, noticeable bigger than felon and fdthree that the machette is a speed ten plus?

Bigger rim for a fairway but still comfortabe.

Did I say fast? Yes, still controllable. Os. But I could see these breaking in nicely.

Distance is slightly longer than felon.

Pleasure to throw. My kind of plastic..big z, grippable. The plastic is stiff has some pop.

Reminds me to stop buying saggy plastic, which is like total hit and miss it seems now a days.

Test was done with two purple, big z low 170's.

My eyebrow is being raised again to discraft. Could be disc of the year for 2017.

Last edited:
i really hope this gets released in some lighter plastic. i recently switch to use 150 class driver because of an injury. the machete had made my bag right before this and i was loving it. more comfortable for the fh then the tsunami's i was using before.

So can anyone directly compare these to Predators? I liked the Pred, but couldn't get over that lip. Are the Machetes more overstable? Less glide? Faster?

So can anyone directly compare these to Predators? I liked the Pred, but couldn't get over that lip. Are the Machetes more overstable? Less glide? Faster?

for me the machete is a touch faster but very similar flight, like landing with in 5'10' of each other on full power throws. the big thing is feel the Machete is way more comfortable.

Anyone throw the Machete in the different plastics? Is there any difference between first run Zs and stock Zs? How do they all compare to the newer flat overstable Z Crushs?

Anyone throw the Machete in the different plastics? Is there any difference between first run Zs and stock Zs? How do they all compare to the newer flat overstable Z Crushs?

Crushes are OOP. The Machete is a touch lower and has less rim depth, but nearly the same wing shape as the Crush. Machete is more OS.

^^^Oh, and my first run and second run Z's fly the same. Replaced my Crushes. Covers the same lines, and feels better in hand.

Crushes are OOP. The Machete is a touch lower and has less rim depth, but nearly the same wing shape as the Crush. Machete is more OS.
Im unfortunately aware they are OOP, I started bagging them a couple of months before the news broke out. Im deciding whether or not to replace them with the Machete.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Im unfortunately aware they are OOP, I started bagging them a couple of months before the news broke out. Im deciding whether or not to replace them with the Machete.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Still plenty of Crushes out there, so I wouldn't worry about it. And if you do have to drop in the Machete down the line, I think they'll cover that spot in your bag.

Picked up a Z Machete (173-174g) and got about 10 throws with it during my round today. I only threw it FH wanting to see if it could fill the void of the recently deceased Z Crush. First impression: total meathook similar to some FAF Firebirds I've had. I really had to muscle this thing to keep it straight before having it fade out. I didn't notice a whole lot of skip at the end of the flight because it wanted to get to the ground badly. It does have a comfortable feel to it but just not sure if is what I'm looking for. May need to beat it in to get a more workable Crush type flight out of it.

I loved the Crush, one of my favorites in the past . too bad that didn't keep making it. The Pulse is similar - I hope they don't discontinue that too - did they? meh

First impression: total meathook similar to some FAF Firebirds I've had. I really had to muscle this thing to keep it straight before having it fade out. I didn't notice a whole lot of skip at the end of the flight because it wanted to get to the ground badly.

I agree, super beef like a FAF Firebird. It will skip like mad if you aren't starting it on some flex to keep it straight. I can't keep it straight with a flat release or even headwind. I've thrown it in 20+MPH wind and it still had positive HSS.

The flatter ones are more stable than the slighty domey ones. Domish ones are like predators in my experience.

So I finally ordered a Machete, but it is in ESP plastic. Anyone have experience with these? I would assume the are a little softer and wear in a little more so if the Z's are super Beef the ESP should be Beef, but like, a lean burger. Hoping the ESP is flat and gets smoothly worn in for a reliable disc flight.

So I finally ordered a Machete, but it is in ESP plastic. Anyone have experience with these? I would assume the are a little softer and wear in a little more so if the Z's are super Beef the ESP should be Beef, but like, a lean burger. Hoping the ESP is flat and gets smoothly worn in for a reliable disc flight.

I am also curious on these. I have a used Z en route. I wish the colors were better in these "swirly" esps though.. pretty ugly.

If all the Swirl ESP is a consistent blend (which is what I've found with Discraft), it's stiffer than the LE ESP they ran the Buzzz OS and Nuke OS in for the last Ledgestone. Swirl ESP Buzzzes were too OS for what I want out of a Buzzz...don't know how the Machete will fly in it, as I didn't end up pulling the trigger on them. I like my OS discs to stay OS as long as possible.
I bet it will be stiff, though. Let us know how it flies!

Latest posts