• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Madison to Tucson and back

roggenb3

* Ace Member *
So my next trip is coming up. We are leaving next Friday from Madison, WI. First stop is Selah, then heading over to Tucson to visit my mom, then to Vegas, then back to Madison.

We have no concrete plans besides that. I think we know mostly what we want to do and see in AZ, so mainly looking for Texas advice.

We will get to Selah early Saturday 11/10, and don't need to be to Tucson until like 11/15.

What should we do, where should we go for the other 4 days in Texas? Is DFW the best area for disc golf? Where are your favorite hiking/camping spots? From the little Googling I did it seems like most of the coolest National Parks are close to the border - we are thinking about doing Big Bend - worth it?

What about Arkansas? Anyone? We'll be going all the way through AK on I40/I30 in the early AM and will probably want to stop somewhere before getting to Selah.

Also, we will likely stay N after Selah and go through ABQ before Tucson. Anyone have any suggestions for courses by OKC, Witchita Falls, or Amarillo?

Seems natural that you would visit Austin considering how often it is compared to Madison.

Seems natural that you would visit Austin considering how often it is compared to Madison.

Yeah....originally we were going to go down that way...

But honestly like 95% TX seems like a wasteland in terms of cool nature stuff to see. I'm sure the Gulf coast is cool, or we could go all the way down by the border for mountains, but meh.

I do want to try to find a Packers bar in DFW to watch the game on Sunday. Then we'll prob play something around there (suggestions, anyone?), then mosey on over to ABQ, and spend a couple days in the Gila N Forest, since it's right between ABQ and Tucson.

Big Bend has some nice stuff, and this time of year would be a good time. It's very remote, though. Get good audiobooks.

For Oklahoma City, it kinda seems out of your way if you're going from Selah to Tucson. Nevertheless, if you went up I-35 to I-40 I'd say Noble DGC is a good stop, as well as some courses in Norman (Lions and Griffin are right next to each other and are solid 3.5 to 4.0 types). In OKC, my personal favorite is Dolese Youth Park East. But none are true destination courses.

Make sure you hit Harry Myers in Rockwall (Cedars in Fate is quite close too and a solid course). I'm not all that familiar with DFW courses but really liked both Lester Lorch offerings.

Here's what we ended up playing. 21 rounds and 19 courses over 15 days and a couple hours.

DeGray Lake Resort, Bismarck AR
Selah Creekside, Talco TX
Selah Creekside shorts
Selah Lakeside
Grindstone Park, Ruidoso NM
Santa Cruz River Park, Tuscon AZ
Rillito River, Tuscon AZ
Vista Del Camino, Scottsdale AZ
Buffalo Ridge, Phoenix AZ
Deer Canyon, Kingman AZ
Sunset Park, Las Vegas NV
Cottonwood Riverfront Park, Cottonwood AZ
Fort Tuthill, Flagstaff AZ
Thorpe Park, Flagstaff AZ
Disc Creek, Amarillo TX
NE Lions Park, Norman OK
The Lodge - Moccasin Creek, Pawhuska OK
The Lodge - Island, Pawhuska OK
The Lodge - Island shorts
Albert Oakland Upper, Columbia MO
Albert Oakland Lower, Columbia MO

We stayed South coming back from Vegas so as to not encounter the snow in UT/CO.

Least favorite new course: Albert Oakland Upper.
Favorite new course: The Lodge Moccasin Creek.
Best surprise: Deer Canyon and NE Lions

Tried to play Harmony Bends but there was a tournament there :(. Albert Oakland Lower was really fun. Upper not so much. Whole place is poorly layed out.

Disc creek in Amarillo has more trash than any course I've ever seen. Fun course though.

We had no clue The Lodge was where Avery Jenkins lives until he was outside letting his dog out when we pulled up in the morning. He had plans so we didn't get to play with him, but we talked for a bit before and after the rounds. His wife gave us a location of an old haunted abandoned schoolhouse which was a cool explore. Definitely the coolest unexpected part of the trip.

I wonder how in the world I hadn't heard more of The Lodge. It is FANTASTIC. I'll take The Lodge over Selah all day.

Lost 5 discs. 2 QMSs, a Leo3 and a Valk all at Selah...but then only one more Valk the rest of the way.

No aces for either of us. Some metal/band hits but nothing stuck.

I lost the rounds 11-10 to my friend but won the overall strokes by 10.

Best 2 was hole 18 at Grindstone.

Last edited:

Latest posts