• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

DAMN! I had not seen the $10 bag... That's crazy talk. I enjoyed my Magellan BP for quite a while. Not amazing quality, but great storage, great looks, and it's 1/5 the price of similar products. That $10 isn't as big a price gap for small-ish bags (16 disc isn't that small) but it's still an incredible deal. You're looking around $40 starting price point for a 16 disc bag in most cases.

Got my backpack yesterday. Took it out with 25 discs in it, more than I normally carry.

This is actually more bag than I normally ever need. It will probably get saved for days when I know I'm playing all day and need to carry extra stuff.

As far as the bag goes, I really like it. Again, plenty of space. I like the carry handle between the straps for just moving it around a little. It carries well over just one shoulder. And it's pretty comfortable to carry as a backpack, too. It will take a little tweaking to get the straps set up just right as the bottom pad was riding on my lower back a little. The materials also feel more substantial than anticipated.

First impression is that it's as lot of bag for a little money.

I got one of these bags for Christmas, but haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. Does the bag really need a frame or is it just personal preference? I've looked through the thread, and other than the measurements on page 13 I haven't seen any updated measurements. If I were to build a frame I would PVC, and measurements/instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Honestly, I used two plastic coat hangers in the sides for months. They fit perfectly for height and the hanging arm holds the front open well. Head to the dollar store and you'll be in good shape for less money or hassle.

This bag truly is a great deal. It catches a lot of grief, but mine held up well, has TONS of room, great water holders and is pretty comfortable.

Have fun!

Honestly, I used two plastic coat hangers in the sides for months. They fit perfectly for height and the hanging arm holds the front open well. Head to the dollar store and you'll be in good shape for less money or hassle.

This bag truly is a great deal. It catches a lot of grief, but mine held up well, has TONS of room, great water holders and is pretty comfortable.

Have fun!

So you're talking about the backpack, right?

Did you just put one in front and one in back, running sideways in the main compartment?

Last edited:
I got one of these bags for Christmas, but haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. Does the bag really need a frame or is it just personal preference? I've looked through the thread, and other than the measurements on page 13 I haven't seen any updated measurements. If I were to build a frame I would PVC, and measurements/instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

The frame really makes a significant difference. I used the plastic sheets for sides and back, but pvc should work fine. I just saw a new video posted on youtube with what looks like a good pvc frame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kswz4AdTXmI

If you are not dead set on the pvc, this is the frame I made (not my video, but I followed the instructions. I just took a little off the dimensions so it did not fit quite as snug).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaD6sl8M_4k

I used the bag for about 4 months without a frame, and about 4 months with. To me the frame makes a world of difference. Getting the discs in and out of the bag is much smoother. Also makes the pockets sit where they should and not sag in on the main compartment.

I used the corrugated plastic frame on mine, the measurements are in this thread somewhere. I just took about 1/2 inch off the height on each side, so less pressure was applied to the seams.

i have one. used it from july 20ish to now about six days a week (except when i couldnt play due to injury) but that wasnt that long. holds up great. yall are right, no frame but if yall would like, i could sent you pics of the cardboard frame i cut and slipped in there in less than 30 minutes. i hold about 20 discs on it total (my full load) a sweatshirt, ript revenge, pens, phone, big knife, big waterbottle and it all fits nicely. my dad can fit his concealed weapon in it if he caddys for me. but i would definetly buy one. there are also plans on the internet to make a pvc frame ( i suggest that)

My perspective on this bag after a year of use.

Buying this transitioned my disc game in a big way, and Im sure im not alone. In short, before this I had a nutsac and carried six discs in six different molds. Buying this bag helped me understand the allure of having more discs, multiples of a single mold in different wear points simply because I wanted to fill the bag. I tried new discs as a result, wanting stuff to take up space.

Did the bag make me a better player, well maybe but it definitely opened my eyes more to disc selection.

I recently obtained a Ranger via banked dollars in our club. It is leaps and bounds above the quality of the magellan, but thats the point. it better be for the price.

cheers

I've had this bag for around eight months and have been very satisfied with it. My wife bought it for me so I wasn't going to complain. And just like everyone has said makin a frame support made all the difference. I went with the industrial plastic cardboard for mine. Mainly because it's super light weight and I can get it free at my job. I made it out one solid piece. I made a template for the side area and then measured the back and bottom sections. I also made small slits with a razor along all the fold lines so it folded up straight. Took several times putting it in and taking it out and trimming it to get the plastic to fit perfectly in the seams, but it was all well worth it. I also double stitched the strap seams before I ever used it, and have had no issues. The only other modification I made was putting a couple of coats of waterproof spray on the outside.

I have 20 discs in the main compartment, and two in the putter pouch. The pouch is a little to deep for my liking, so I I just rolled up an old t shirt and stuffed it in the bottom. It also doubles as an emergency back up towel.

All in all, for the price this is a great bag. No it's not the quality of a Grip, or a Ranger, but it's not that price either.

I really like the smaller bag after adding some structural reinforcement to the bottom

Only thing I don't like is the orange color

Academy's Products

First of all, I do not own this bag, I do fully plan on buying one in the near future though. I also haven't read every post on this thread so this may have already been said, but I just wanted to add that from my (fairly extensive) experience, Academy stands behind their products very well. I haven't bought very much from them in terms of disc golf equipment but I have bought my fair share of fishing rods and reels from them and I can say that every time I've had an issue with their product they have replaced it with no hassle. I know this is a completely different department for them but I just wanted to throw in my two cents from my experiences with them as a retailer.

First of all, I do not own this bag, I do fully plan on buying one in the near future though. I also haven't read every post on this thread so this may have already been said, but I just wanted to add that from my (fairly extensive) experience, Academy stands behind their products very well. I haven't bought very much from them in terms of disc golf equipment but I have bought my fair share of fishing rods and reels from them and I can say that every time I've had an issue with their product they have replaced it with no hassle. I know this is a completely different department for them but I just wanted to throw in my two cents from my experiences with them as a retailer.

Good first post. Most are not nearly as useful as this is to this thread (I am sure my first post was probably next to useless and probably posted in the wrong place). As someone who has had this bag for over a year, I would recommend it to anyone who wants a decent bag at a great price. This is a good way to put your toe in the water of the backpack bag without breaking the bank. You may eventually graduate to something nicer, but will not regret buying this bag. I now have a cart for my discs, but will keep the Magellan for certain courses where the cart is not ideal.

This is a good way to put your toe in the water of the backpack bag without breaking the bank. You may eventually graduate to something nicer, but will not regret buying this bag.

Exactly! I got one of these and then graduated to a Golf Mahal once I figured out I really liked the backpack style bag.

I recently got this bag and made a pvc frame for the bottom and a structural system for the back and sides out of corrugated plastic board. I also put a rubber band on the bottom of the putter pocket to lift it up higher so I can use it more efficiently. I played 63 holes today with 20 discs in it and I found that it was comfortable all day. The quality is fairly good for a $30 bag and with $20 more in sturtual materials it's an amazing bag for the price.

i just started disc golfing last spring. my first bag was the innova starter bag. lasted me but 3 weeks before it started to fall apart. always had 10 discs in it, but it wasnt durable enough. i found the magellan bag, and decided to purchase it. for $30, I wanst expecting much, i only hoped that it would last me the summer. i was impressed with it when i got it. it has held up to a summer of use, and im very happy with how much room it has. going into my 2nd season, im happy to say that this was my best decision last season. a friend with a grip bag even complimented my bag, and said that it was a great deal at $30. i do plan on making a frame for it this spring, just to try it out, but i think its fine without one.

I've had the Magellan bag for a few weeks and I'm pretty happy with it. I took some foam board and basically lined the inside of the bag with it, cutting by eyeball with an Exact o knife until all the pieces fitted together snuggly. I even put a piece on the top between the pockets (resting on top the side support foam) to get it to stand up like a big boy backpack. I'm really impressed with the functionality and design of the bag. It's just what I needed. It will hold about 16-18 discs plus two putters up top.

The jury is out about durability. The material of the bag itself is a step below what you see on nicer bags but probably good enough to do the job. The weak link on this bag is going to be the straps in my opinion. If it is going to eventually fail, it's going to be a strap coming apart from the body of the bag. I'm going to try to be gentle with the bag, not swinging it around when I put it on and picking it up without jerking on it every time.

My buddy bought the new Innova hero backpack the same day I got my magellan. I think he got it for roughly twice what I paid for mine. While the design is very similar, the materials and straps on the Innova bag are much nicer. About one full step up one the "nice" meter if you know what I mean. It is definitely not the same bag as the Magellan as I've seen some say. It also has the built in support that the Magellan lacks. It will be interesting to see how both bags hold up over time.

I'd say that Academy "missed it by this much" on the Magellan. A solid, functional bag for 30, yes. For 5 dollars more or less, they could have hit one out of the ballpark by adding an internal structure and better quality straps. It took me 15 min and a dollars worth of materials to do it at home....

I'm a bit late to the party, but I ordered mine this morning. And may dash the 50 miles to a store for the $10 Medium this weekend after my first outing in 2 years!! (torn Achilles tendons suck)

Latest posts