• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

Just tried calling their customer service to find one. Out of stock and there isn't any in stock within 1500 miles of Charlotte. The lady was very nice and did say that Magellan is one of their internal brands but as of now her computer is not showing a restock date.

Sounds like they had no idea what a hit there would be. Hope they get more in soon. For $30 bucks you can't go wrong.

Just tried calling their customer service to find one. Out of stock and there isn't any in stock within 1500 miles of Charlotte. The lady was very nice and did say that Magellan is one of their internal brands but as of now her computer is not showing a restock date.

Sounds like they had no idea what a hit there would be. Hope they get more in soon. For $30 bucks you can't go wrong.

Stores will get stock in first before they restock online.
They should all hit stores this week. I think that is only 90esh% of all Academy stores. So call your store before you head out.
This first wave should go very fast but they made enough at a very high quantity to last awhile.

Academy just won the backpack wars.

I have only been asking for 2 years now why a manufacturer hasn't done something like this. My old hiking style bag still holding up great ($27 purchase) and all they would have to do is flip around how the main zipper opens to make it a "real" dg bag.

I have only been asking for 2 years now why a manufacturer hasn't done something like this. My old hiking style bag still holding up great ($27 purchase) and all they would have to do is flip around how the main zipper opens to make it a "real" dg bag.

It came down to order quantity and having a giant PO to make it all happen. It was a long process and this won't be the only bag to release with a remarkably low price point like this through the Academy channel.

It came down to order quantity and having a giant PO to make it all happen. It was a long process and this won't be the only bag to release with a remarkably low price point like this through the Academy channel.

Sweet! And it came completely out of left field, love it!

"Proposition 65 warning for California residents: WARNING - This product contains one or more chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm."

...huh.

Either way, if these things hold up, what will that mean for the "mid-priced bag market?"

High end users will still want their Grips, but what about the little guy who wants something for 100-120? Will they splurge for that or grab the 30 dollar one? Will this cut into the market share of Salient, UB and Upper Park?

"Proposition 65 warning for California residents: WARNING - This product contains one or more chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm."

...huh.

Either way, if these things hold up, what will that mean for the "mid-priced bag market?"

High end users will still want their Grips, but what about the little guy who wants something for 100-120? Will they splurge for that or grab the 30 dollar one? Will this cut into the market share of Salient, UB and Upper Park?

That is a textile legal notice for types of chemicals used in plastic.
I honestly think after it's all set up, it will put several out of business.
-Reputable company with deep pockets and high inventory others can not match. Outside of Ogio, and a few other possibilities this will be the future.

You still have to remember that the backpack is NOT the #1 choice for dg consumers to carry their equipment. This pack brings it in a low cost setting and easy to get at a high volume and distribution.
The #1 carried bag is the standard bag with straps. This is not targeting the advanced tournament player.

That is a textile legal notice for types of chemicals used in plastic.
I honestly think after it's all set up, it will put several out of business.
-Reputable company with deep pockets and high inventory others can not match. Outside of Ogio, and a few other possibilities this will be the future.

You still have to remember that the backpack is NOT the #1 choice for dg consumers to carry their equipment. This pack brings it in a low cost setting and easy to get at a high volume and distribution.
The #1 carried bag is the standard bag with straps. This is not targeting the advanced tournament player.

That's a good point.

:sick: << Salient's reaction to this launching.

I think I might pick one up! Some truck bed liner on the bottom and along some key seams and it will hold up for quite a while! Worked on my friends Embark bag which is 2 years old now of 3-5 rounds a week.

My local Academy had these in stock when I went by today. I have to say for $30, this bag looks solid. Probably be able to at least stretch two years out of one if properly handled and taken care of. Also, has a hard plastic bottom that feels like it will also help in the longevity of the bag.

I will say it again. Academy/Magellan has won the Backpack War.

I think I might pick one up! Some truck bed liner on the bottom and along some key seams and it will hold up for quite a while! Worked on my friends Embark bag which is 2 years old now of 3-5 rounds a week.

You won't have to worry about the bottom. It has two rails underneath and is probably the most secure place on the bag.

The coolest thing is the bag kind of has its own aesthetic. Obviously it takes many ques from the Grip and Flak backpack but it isn't just a Chinese clone of one of those (*Cough* Huju *Cough*).

I ordered one.. I needed one to replace my Innova starter bag that's been falling apart for a year.. it only needs to last until May anyways for me

I picked one up this afternoon at Academy as well. For $30, how can you go wrong? My initial impression is that I'm quite impressed. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but is a very solid bag. I maxed out the bag and got 30 discs in it. 21 in the main section (10 mids and 11 drivers), 2 drivers in each side pocket, 4 putters up top...and just to get to 30, I put another putter in the front elastic pouch.

It is really comfortable as well. The main issue I can see is that it will be flimsy if not completely full, and no dividers or internal rigidity. The materials though feel just fine. Not like a "rain fly" as was stated earlier. I've had a PF Contender and a Flak...and I think this bag is better , overall. I have worn a Grip a few times, and I find this just as comfy.

Latest posts