• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

the price hike really only cost people an extra 3 bucks. it was 36 shipped before. 39 now

^i love that kind of creative math. ;)

you could buy something you need like a T-shirt/socks/laces/something in the $10 range and have a T-shirt and a magellan bag for $39. Or pay $39 for the bag only.

Personally I like getting something else plus the bag.

It's not creative math. Just reality. Sure you could have added something for ten bucks and had the same price. But the fact of the matter is buying just that item it costs 3 whole dollars more

what about when I go in the store and they are 39 dollars but 2 weeks ago they were 30. your amazon shipping math does not work then. the bag is still worth 40, not a dime more without improvements and color options.

Got mine in the mail yesterday, kind of bummed when I pressed the buy button at $39.99, but all went away when I opened the box yesterday. Looks like a good bag that will work well. Can't wait to get it on the course this weekend.

what about when I go in the store and they are 39 dollars but 2 weeks ago they were 30. your amazon shipping math does not work then. the bag is still worth 40, not a dime more without improvements and color options.

I'll buy the premise that it's worth about $40. Based on the scale established by that value, then a Grip bag is worth about $80. Hyzerbomb Flak around $65. Spinal Tap around $90. Ranger is around $60.

The point is simple, Grip just offered a holiday sale for $222. If you honestly look at the Magellan and the Grip side by side, the Grip is made of better materials and has a better support structure. More color options, also, though that doesn't effect the value of a single unit. Most people choosing on that alone would opt for the Grip, I have no doubt. Now, make the decision in the real world...you can have a Grip bag or a Magellan and $182 dollars. Most people are going to opt for the Magellan in a heartbeat.

I have no problem admitting that a Grip/Spinal Tap/Flak/Ranger are all better (though some just slightly) than the Magellan. However, their market shares are already, and will continue, to take a major hit because of Academy's ability to mass produce and distribute. If these smaller bag companies that have been charging insane prices cannot find a way to get their retail prices into the "double digits", they will eventually fade away into obscurity. Bottom line, a Grip may be twice as good as a Magellan, but no more than that, which means it's overpriced by $142 bucks...even when on sale.

I would prefer to opt to have a bag with a lifetime warranty and solid, proven results. The high quality construction and durable materials/extra colors and different series are an added bonus.

Also, those statements you made above, are opinions of your own, and just that. Not to be taken as fact. :)

If it's the lifetime warranty that's the big feature for you, then you're valuing the warranty by itself at $182.

I'm more inclined by bypass any warranty if it means I can buy 4 replacements of the unwarrantied bag and still come out on top.

I must also agree with the value argument.
The (generalized) disc golfer is a frugal beast. Just look at our players pack/payout entitlement and our discomfort for the occasional modest green fee.

I will concede there is a minority of golfers who will still buy high end bags and throw expensive discs.

I wouldn't quote bags like the Ranger or Grip at 60 or 80 dollars based off the Magellan. They are made of materials that are much higher quality, not just slightly, and are built much more robustly than the Magellan. Now that's not to say the Grip and Ranger aren't overpriced (really the Ranger should be about $130 and the Grip $160-$175), but saying they'll be run out of business by the Magellan really isn't reasonable; most people who are going to buy the Academy bag probably wouldn't have bought a Grip or Ranger in the first place, so I don't really see how that affects the Grip/Ranger market.

I currently have both a Magellan and a Grip Mini. Both bags are awesome.

I use the magellan to hold all my extra discs and my field/putting practice discs in my car. But I could totally see myself using the Magellan for a tournament if I wanted to carry more than the 15-17 discs I usually throw + extra stuff like jacket/towels/food/ect.

I currently have both a Magellan and a Grip Mini. Both bags are awesome.

I use the magellan to hold all my extra discs and my field/putting practice discs in my car. But I could totally see myself using the Magellan for a tournament if I wanted to carry more than the 15-17 discs I usually throw + extra stuff like jacket/towels/food/ect.

That was my plan too but in reverse kinda - kepp a grip mini in the car, weekend rounds with Magellan. After having the Magellan for a month I'm rethinking it.
I had planned on waiting until the inevitable holiday sale started on the Grip mini, but now I think I may just skip it and wait for the looming 'market correction' next spring to buy a smaller lunch 9-holer bag.
For reference, my choice it not at all based on limited funds but rather a consideration of use vs value.

just a quick update on the Magellan, today I saw the first sign of poor build quality. others have noted the cheap zippers, I never gave them a second thought until today. the zipper on my valuables pocket has detached from the bag. its not that bad yet but I let this go on my fade bag and it was a nightmare, the zipper pull slid off the zipper and was gone forever. i also ran into a guy with a Magellan bag and one of the feet on the bottom had come off. also i must mention that the backpack straps will not stay tight. the bag also seems to be breaking in and not as comfy as it first was. i have played 10-15 rounds on this bag with around 20 disc, a towel, a water bottle, and phone keys, etc. once again for 30 dollars it is still a good deal. i have also noticed a lot of new guys on here and local course having these bags, way to go guys.

One positive to this bag is the appeal to beginers like myself. I just began playing this last July and as I accumulated discs the need for a bag or a backpack became apparent. The backpack seemed to be the route I wanted to take until I saw the prices!:eek: Being a beginer, I definitely did not want to spend this kind of money on a sport which I had just begun and honestly did not know if the excitement would stick. The magellan is the perfect answer for those like myself. Now come this time next year and I'm playing multiple weekly rounds + weekend events then yes I will be upgrading to a more quality backpack but for a beginner just getting into it, $40 for an entry level backpack is perfect. In fact I believe I may have just coined the perfect phrase to describe this bag, "entry level".

I wouldn't quote bags like the Ranger or Grip at 60 or 80 dollars based off the Magellan. They are made of materials that are much higher quality, not just slightly, and are built much more robustly than the Magellan. Now that's not to say the Grip and Ranger aren't overpriced (really the Ranger should be about $130 and the Grip $160-$175), but saying they'll be run out of business by the Magellan really isn't reasonable; most people who are going to buy the Academy bag probably wouldn't have bought a Grip or Ranger in the first place, so I don't really see how that affects the Grip/Ranger market.

I never meant to imply that they'd be run out of business by Magellan. If you had that impression, I apologize, and please let me take this opportunity to clarify. The Magellan bag is just the first drop in the bucket. Right now, someone at Academy is sitting around thinking "man, those disc golf bags flew off the shelves like crazy. What's next for us in that market?" Believe me, I bought a Magellan just for kicks as a storage bag like many of you guys did. I still have my old Revo Carolina bag. I still have my old Gorilla Boy Silverback. I've used at least two versions of the Grip bags, and have seen and examined many other company's bags. When I actually received the Magellan, I was shocked at how well it is made. The raw materials used on any of the "high-end" bags does not cost twice as much as what makes the Magellan. In short, because of economies of scale, whoever manufactures the Magellan could get the same materials as a Grip/Voodoo/you-name-it and sell the bag at $80 with a marginal cost of around $40. If they did that right now, they'd make a fortune...and I'll guarantee that other firms have noticed the success of the Magellan. What if Jansport decides they can produce a well-made bag with awesome materials and retail it for $80? The boutique bag producers in the disc golf world will not be able to compete when the larger manufacturers figure out they can make money in this market...because the small-order system is simply not a sustainable model.

Bottom line, the small-order elite bag makers merely catered to this market for a few years. Now larger manufacturers have taken notice and produced a product with better value. The market will build from there. This base model will still be produced because it serves a segment of the market, but very soon you will have Codura bags with rigid supports in large retail stores at a double digit price-point to serve another segment of the market. Unless the smaller companies can compete at that price-point, they will vanish.

Two quick final points: Economics is not an "opinion". I teach Finance at Middle Tennessee State University. If you want to ignore the market maturation process, then that's up to you. But it's not an "opinion". Second, a lifetime warranty is pretty useless past 3 years. Anything past that point and the guarantor need only state that the issue is caused, or even simply contributed to, by "wear and tear", and they have no obligation to honor the warranty. Regardless of who offers it, a lifetime warranty for "manufacturer's defects" is not really worth much.

Second, a lifetime warranty is pretty useless past 3 years. Anything past that point and the guarantor need only state that the issue is caused, or even simply contributed to, by "wear and tear", and they have no obligation to honor the warranty. Regardless of who offers it, a lifetime warranty for "manufacturer's defects" is not really worth much.

Agreeing generally with all your points, save this one.
A lifetime warranty is as good as the company offering it. I'll use LL Bean as an example. You can return to them your grandfather's worn hunting boots and they fix them, or give you new ones (you're a fool if you trade the old ones for new ones). I suspect some disc golf bag manufacturers will treat their warranties much the same. I have my suspicions about which companies will and will not stand by them long term. Time will tell.

Last edited:
A lifetime warranty is as good as the company offering it. I'll use LL Bean as an example. You can return to them your grandfather's worn hunting boots and they fix them, or give you new ones (your a fool if you trade the old ones for new ones). I suspect some disc golf bag manufacturers will treat their warranties much the same. I have my suspicions about which companies will and will not stand by them long term. Time will tell.

all LL Bean needs to do is put out a decent disc golf backpack and it could be game over for other companies.

Two quick final points: Economics is not an "opinion". I teach Finance at Middle Tennessee State University. If you want to ignore the market maturation process, then that's up to you. But it's not an "opinion".

This is completely off topic, but I LOVE this. I have a close friend who is a sociologist and constantly ends up arguing with people on topics who are significantly less informed then he is. Same concept, but the way he puts it is "Sure everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But that doesn't mean I have to pretend that every opinion is equally correct"

I want a LL Bean DG backpack with my initials on it.

A lifetime warranty is as good as the company offering it. I'll use LL Bean as an example. You can return to them your grandfather's worn hunting boots and they fix them, or give you new ones (you're a fool if you trade the old ones for new ones). I suspect some disc golf bag manufacturers will treat their warranties much the same. I have my suspicions about which companies will and will not stand by them long term. Time will tell.

Lots of early reviews talked a big game, but Dynamic Discs tapped out around a year with the Ranger.

Just got one of these last week.
I have "gussed" it up with some plastic cardboard and it worked out pretty well.
Pictures in a day or two