• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Make their own ground sleeves?

glassila

Double Eagle Member
Has anyone made their own ground sleeves or had them manufactured locally? I see that Chainstar sleeves are $35.
If you have, could you provide a little info (method, cost, materials, how did they turn out, photos!, etc)
Thanks!

i have no idea if this is still the case but at one point dga sleeves were an oddball diameter that was hard to get- even for hysell who works for a steel company.

In Kansas City, a lot of the sleeves are very tall, as in they go all the way up to the bottom of the basket. A bolt is put through the sleeve and basket pole and padlocked. I believe they call them Cashen sleeves after Dan and Pete Cashen who started to put them in (not confirmed).

Couple of benefits:
1. Can paint them various colors as to know when pin is located where with mulitple pin placements.
2. Since they are way taller than the grass, mowers will not mow over them.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=286&p=f1691220

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/media.php?id=286&mode=media#

This is one of the sleeves without the basket (it is in a different placement at the time the photo was taken):

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=86&p=ad78bb80

Urgh...hate this insert photo crap.

First link - photo #2
Second link - photo #10
Third link - photo #20

607c480b_m.jpg

ad78bb80_m.jpg

i have no idea if this is still the case but at one point dga sleeves were an oddball diameter that was hard to get- even for hysell who works for a steel company.

I'll keep that in mind. I looked at Mach baskets, but I think I am leaning towards Chainstars or Discatchers.

In Kansas City, a lot of the sleeves are very tall, as in they go all the way up to the bottom of the basket. A bolt is put through the sleeve and basket pole and padlocked. I believe they call them Cashen sleeves after Dan and Pete Cashen who started to put them in (not confirmed).

Couple of benefits:
1. Can paint them various colors as to know when pin is located where with mulitple pin placements.
2. Since they are way taller than the grass, mowers will not mow over them.
/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how the bolt is padlocked. Is it like a 1/2 inch bolt with a hole drilled through the end for a padlock?

I'll keep that in mind. I looked at Mach baskets, but I think I am leaning towards Chainstars or Discatchers.

Keep in mind that Chainstars are made by DGA for Discraft, so will use same equipment - basically identical basket for M5 and Chainstar except for slider chains and chains to 1 ring in bottom instead of 2....

Discatchers are NOT interchangeable with DGA or Chainstars - so keep that in mind for upgrades or added pin positions, etc.

Mind you, we use innova discatchers baskets but went with PVC instead of ordering the more expensive metal innova sleeves.

We just used the same diameter as innova sleeves and cut to length ~24". To make them lockable, we used some heavy duty aircraft cable and cut pieces of it and arched it down into the wet concrete along side the sleeve so that a small arch of thick cable stuck out of the concrete exactly where the lock tab would be while still having the basket face the correct direction. It probably costed us less than $7 in material per sleeve. I think we had someone that had access to PVC so we saved on materials big time.

Most have been in the ground for nearly 2 years. No problems to report yet. The mower guy did chip a couple of them off, but still useable. Plus, that's the other beauty of PVC. It won't destroy a heavy duty mower quite as bad as a metal sleeve would if struck by accident. Its super cheap material to replace if we have to fix one and PVC is pretty much made to be rust proof and buried in the ground which makes it perfect for our Florida climate and soil composition.

I use PVC for temp positions in Events as they are easy to move and then replace in sleeve when Event is over, but no way in hell would I use them for permanent usage as they would last 5 minutes if people knew the permanent sleeve was PVC.

If the mowers are hitting them, you don't have them installed right, or don't have them filled with a smaller diameter PVC pipe when the basket is in another location so they can be seen.:D

We bought a set of used baskets without sleeves so we made some out of electrical conduit pipe from Home Depot. After cutting the pipe to length we slipped it over the bottom of the basket pole and drilled a 3/8" hole through the sleeve and pole just below the lock flange. After the sleeve is concreted in the ground, the basket pole is set into the sleeve and a 16" piece of rebar is inserted through the sleeve and basket pole. A short piece of 3/4" pipe is used to bend both ends of the rebar so it can't be removed easily and then 3 or 4" of dIrt or rock covers the rebar and sleeve. Total cost for each sleeve is less than $3.

For the Cashen sleeves, bolt is a bit of a misnomer. It is a round rod, about the size of your thumb. Holes are drilled through the sleeve and basket post. Rod goes through all of it. It has a significant bend on one end, and then a hole drilled through the tip on the other end where a padlock is placed.

Keep in mind that Chainstars are made by DGA for Discraft, so will use same equipment - basically identical basket for M5 and Chainstar except for slider chains and chains to 1 ring in bottom instead of 2....

Discatchers are NOT interchangeable with DGA or Chainstars - so keep that in mind for upgrades or added pin positions, etc.

My experience differs. We had an all DGA MIII course until a mower hit one and roughed it up pretty bad. To appease some of the more vocal dissenters in our group we bought a Discraft Chainstar as a replacement thinking it would slip right in the old sleeve. It did not.

For the Cashen sleeves, bolt is a bit of a misnomer. It is a round rod, about the size of your thumb. Holes are drilled through the sleeve and basket post. Rod goes through all of it. It has a significant bend on one end, and then a hole drilled through the tip on the other end where a padlock is placed.

This sounds like a good system. The bolt would probably work too, but rebar or something sounds like the ticket.

Just find a guy that can weld.
I made all the ones for our last course install.
Cut some pipe to length, weld a 6" piece of rebar or whatever to the bottom
(so they don't pull out of the concrete if it's not perfect).
Then weld on some angle iron tabs with holes drilled in them for the locks.
Even if you can't weld, most guys can do all of the prep work, then pay some one to weld it.
Here are the ones I made.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2013-01-29_12-42-50_236.jpg
    2013-01-29_12-42-50_236.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 75
Those look really good mattc! I'm sure I can get something like these made up at a local metal shop.
Welding a piece of rebar across the bottom is a good idea too.

We used a 20' section of threaded galvanized. Had the metal shop cut them into 24" sections and had them partially cut a 3" section off an end. We bent the piece left from the partial cut and drilled it for the lock. Total cost was $13 per sleeve. One of our Parks and Recreation contacts suggested using security bolts instead of locks. A pack of 50 plus the special bit was about $15.

We lost our last basket however to someone with a sawzall, they cut the basket at the sleeve.

Latest posts