• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mamba time!!

turbine712

Birdie Member
Hey all. I just went to gotta go ,to fufill my OCD issues, and picked up a Mamba 155g.
I don't have a strong arm and what I have read, on here and Innova, that it is a nice disc to add a bit more distance. I am wondering what you all here have found throwing the Mamba. What are your pros and cons.
Thanks

pros - ton of glide and shapeability, great for standstill shots, easy roller disc

cons - sucks in wind, easy to turn and burn, cut rolls

i have a max weight mamba in my bag and i dont throw it often but it's very useful in certain situations. i mainly use it for when i have a long throw and for footing i'm standing still, it's easy to flip up and get easy distance while maintaining some good control. the other place i use it most is when there's a tight shot and i want to turn right but i don't trust my FH.

I cycle protostar Mambas for hyzer flip to anny shots. Have been using the current run of CFR metal flake Mambas as my preferred driver. Granted, discs do fly a bit different (more stable) at 5500'+ elevation where I typically play. Forget the Mambas in a headwind though, no matter how much of a hyzer angle I start them on.
Never thrown the stock stamp champ, star, or starlite Mambas though. Couldnt imagine the need for a Mamba <160g.

max weight mamba = sex with a condom

155 is a lil low for me, i like that mid 160s, just flippy enough for me. New013 is right about them sucking in wind though, don't even pull it out of the bag unless its calm. I put a tiny bit of hyzer on mine and let it go low and she just glides to the glory hole.

I think I'm gonna pick up a starlite one, I've wanted one for a while.

I carry a current run Star Mamba 170g for relatively low power drives that must stay low and straight, and a 165g Champ Mamba for a big backhanded right turn. I've thrown that champ Mamba for my furthest throw to date, a big sky anny that landed and rolled for about 350' total. I recently discovered Underworlds, though, and it's gonna steal a few shots from my Mambas.

I've had a first run Mamba for a while, and finally pulled it out on the field yesterday. Great flip disc, and is as advertised for "easy" distance, especially with the slight tailwind I had yesterday. For me, it almost feels like a longer Comet.

Same here. I carry both though because I sometimes need to get around something that is too far off for the Underworld to handle.

:hfive:
Yep. Glad I bought me a Voodoo Karma, because I sure filled it quicker than I thought I would. So many specialized discs, so little room. Maybe I need a Zulu.:doh:

I have a mamba that I am finally learning to hyzer flip it is also great for when I need a long sweeping anny. If there is a headwind though forget about it. Will not even leave the house at that time.

Well I went to my practice field and threw all of my drivers. After around 100 throws my tally as far as distance is as follows:
Mamba
Diamond
River
Saint
XL
Ascent
Trak
Overall they all fell into the same distance within 10-25 feet. I was impressed how much the Mambe did with glide. Ithought the Diamond had alot of glide but the Mamba beat them all.
Looking forward to trying it out soon.
btw. My Grandson and I played a short 9-hole course North of Stillwater,MN last night andit was fairly windy. I took the Mamba out and everyone who said it doesn't like the wind is right. It caught the wind and blew all over the place. Soooo not for use in windy situations for sure. I bet it works great in wooded areas.

btw. My Grandson and I played a short 9-hole course North of Stillwater,MN last night andit was fairly windy. I took the Mamba out and everyone who said it doesn't like the wind is right. It caught the wind and blew all over the place. Soooo not for use in windy situations for sure. I bet it works great in wooded areas.

It loves the tailwinds and absolutely hates the headwinds, as with any understable disc. Here is a helpful chart from Discraft (I believe) to help with disc selection in windy conditions.

res_wind06_fig1l.gif

Big fan of the Mamba myself, the glide on it is very nice and it does perform quite well in the wooded courses. Good luck! :thmbup:

I have a 168 champ mamba and love it! Easy to throw and my farthest distance disc:thmbup:

Well took the Mamba out today and WOW what glide!! This baby took off and it seemed like it didn't want to come down. By far the longest disc in the bag. Even longer than my Diamond and this one flies forever.
I used it in a wooded course and it veered it's way through the trees like a snake.
Love this disc!!

I have had a Mamba bagged for a while. I really like it for those powered down shots you need for more accuracy.
I also use it for uphill shots. It doesn't like the wind as stated by others.

Hyzer flip and roller magic. A longer more understable disc you cannot find.

If you don't have a place in your bag for this disc you don't have a big enough bag.

If you got a big arm and can't get this disc to do what you want, you gotta practice more.

I also give these to new guys with low arm speed to get longer distance. But a go-to driver it's not.....

Specialty shot disc only!

I carry three mambas:

1) 166 champ: big anny & hyzer to straight with turn
2) 172 proto champ or 168 mf: smaller anny & hyzer straight with small fade
3) 166 star: flex shots

Even Innova says not to throw a Mamba into a headwind
The Mamba has more high speed turn than any of our long range drivers, so throwing into a headwind is not recommended.
And this from a company that pimps speed 13 discs to beginners...

I carry three mambas:

1) 166 champ: big anny & hyzer to straight with turn
2) 172 proto champ or 168 mf: smaller anny & hyzer straight with small fade
3) 166 star: flex shots

Even Innova says not to throw a Mamba into a headwind And this from a company that pimps speed 13 discs to beginners...

That last part made me giggle.