• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Man made obstacles on the course.

Personally I think Mandos are borderline cheesy. Some places I know it's for safety but to do it out in the open is stupid I think.

We've thought about buying a bunch of roundbales (wheat straw, though usually they're hay). They make would make large putting and landing-zone obstacles, could be moved around with some effort, last for several years, and are pretty cheap. And are reasonably attractive, in a rural setting.

The other alternative is contribed O.B.; i.e., rope. Though it doesn't have to be rope; it can be just stakes in the ground, ruled by line-of-sight. Very flexible, and though it doesn't affect the flight of the disc, it puts a premium on make sure the disc lands in the right spot.

Have the town, county etc., drop off logs from trees they have removed from their properties and make walls with them. You can put them in key places to make holes more challenging. Here is a picture from my home course for an example:

d9213a80.jpg

Tyler was the first course to come to mind with regard to man-made obstacles. Few do it better than the BCDGA guys.

For those that look at stuff like that and equate it to windmills and clown's mouths and it being "too gimmicky" remember that most of the challenging aspects and hazards in ball golf are man-made gimmicks too. Deep sand filled bunkers and wildly undulating greens don't just happen to be there when they design the course. They build them in. Of course, they've got the budget to make all that man-made stuff look like it's been there forever...a luxury we lack at the moment.

We need to get over the aesthetics thing if we want to keep pushing the envelope of creative and challenging design.

Most of these types of things are inherently contrived even in theory. In practice, usually terribly executed and short-sighted as far as maintenance goes.

Glad you mentioned bunkers. Sand traps or something similar on some of the fairways would force lines or landing areas I would think.

Have the town, county etc., drop off logs from trees they have removed from their properties and make walls with them. You can put them in key places to make holes more challenging. Here is a picture from my home course for an example:

d9213a80.jpg

Wow... those walls are beautiful.

Check out our local private course Cabin Creek. Maintained by the Erkenbrechers, used for the 98' worlds, about 10+ years ago their son started a paintball business and added hundreds of obstacles on numerous holes. Images are a bit old and do not do the course justice since they have been working very hard on the course for the past few years(keep in mind they are in their 70's and still mow and care for the course). Awesome course before the added challenges, but mixed feelings with some players about the added stuff. Only true drawback is stepping on thousands of unused paint balls. I help run a event there every year on Labor Day as a fund raiser for them.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=658&mode=ci

Check out our local private course Cabin Creek. Maintained by the Erkenbrechers, used for the 98' worlds, about 10+ years ago their son started a paintball business and added hundreds of obstacles on numerous holes. Images are a bit old and do not do the course justice since they have been working very hard on the course for the past few years(keep in mind they are in their 70's and still mow and care for the course). Awesome course before the added challenges, but mixed feelings with some players about the added stuff. Only true drawback is stepping on thousands of unused paint balls. I help run a event there every year on Labor Day as a fund raiser for them.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=658&mode=ci
I came here to point out Cabin Creek also. These obstacles can be moved at times to change the course. They can be set up anyway you want and don't need to have this many on one hole. This is for paintball as Adam said.

29cb2477.jpg

OB lines with railroad ties, and elevated baskets are probably the easiest for most courses. But having certain landing zones and baskets that are higher than normal can help neutralize a boring course.

^ Stole my thunder (and let me also iterate that Cabin Creek is a fun, fun course)!

As others have said, there's a fine (and quite ill-defined) line between "novelty" and "gimmick." Where that line exists can differ from player to player, but I think moderation is the key. Jazzing up a few of the blandest holes on the course can make things more interesting, but doing things to half the holes on the course is probably going overboard.

One thing that comes to my mind is any artificailly imposed challenges should be designed to reward skill rather than luck. A couple of other ideas to add some flavor to a bland course:

• Creative use of OB to reward well placed distance, rather than uncontrolled distance.
• If a course has no baskets on or near slopes that create the possibility of rollaway putts, maybe you can extend a few 2-3 baskets a couple of feet higher (I suppose you could cut the pole and weld a 2 foot section in, or maybe get a longer pole and replace it). This creates some risk/reward on longer putts and short approaches, encouraging players to actively decide whether to lay-up or go for it.

The somwehat unsightly extra exposed pole can be creatively "camouflaged" with stones, landscape timbers, etc. at relatively low cost to make the hole more visually appealling, thus enhancing things in terms of aesthetics as well as challenge.

c178942c.jpg

75fcddb2.jpg

Last edited:
Rollin' Ridge in Wisconsin has a number of man made pieces on the course. Some of it is just walls near benches for protection (because of the layout). Some of them are designed to be obstacles -- retaining walls, elevated baskets, etc.

They're well done, but the one I can think of that's the most "in the way" is sort of gimmicky. Giant walls in the field to force either a 450 foot hyzer over them, or a controlled turnover. It forces more difficult shots, but I think they could have done better.

All that to be said -- it can be done and it can be done tastefully. Think of Winthrop Gold. OB abounds which is part of the allure of the course.

There are some large stone structures that guard the pin on Hole 13 at my home course. They've been there for as long as I've been playing.

golf%20006.JPG

golf%20008.JPG

Artificial Christmas trees. Hole #1 at the Twilight Zone has 7 surrounding it approximately 20' from the pin. All either donated by players or scrounged off Craigslist for free. You'd be surprised how many golfers don't realize they're fake! (maybe not) The first grouping lasted about 5 years before needing replaced. I just drive a 1 1/2" pipe in the ground and put the tree pole in that. They would also be effective near the tee as "natural mando".

Artificial Christmas trees. Hole #1 at the Twilight Zone has 7 surrounding it approximately 20' from the pin. All either donated by players or scrounged off Craigslist for free. You'd be surprised how many golfers don't realize they're fake! (maybe not) The first grouping lasted about 5 years before needing replaced. I just drive a 1 1/2" pipe in the ground and put the tree pole in that. They would also be effective near the tee as "natural mando".

I'll admit I had no idea! That is a great pin placement with the trees.

You could also buy trees. I just looked up the cost and 2 foot evergreens cost around 30 bucks a pop around my area. Add about 20 trees around the course for 600 bucks then wait for them to grow. One added tree to a hole could be either placed near the landing area for a drive placement or guarding the green for more challenging approaches.

I often thought that round bales would be interesting scattered amongst open fairways.

Latest posts