• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marbling agents

"For this process, those using the powder form, should I prepare the powder dye like normal and then mix it with the sc/acetone? Does the powder form need to be warm to work this way, or can it be applied at room temp like the liquid?"

I use RIT mixed a little more concentrated for marbling, 1 pak in 16oz water, never added acetone, and warming it doesn't hurt but isn't really necessary. As I mentioned before, if I was starting today I would be using iDYE poly, available online at several locations (google iDYE poly). NorthernDisc has demonstrated that it is an excellent dye for marbling with shaving cream, he showed a good overview of his process in this thread a few pages back.

ps. If one of you iDye guys would do a short write-up on how you prep the iDYE for dyeing we could add it to the stickied Techniques thread.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree Dan I have never used acetone in any marble. The dye, if mixed correctly, should take to most plastics in a relatively short amount of time. I use iDye only and it is a lot more controllable than RIT ever was for me. I also have found that heat rarely does anything, except dye your hands darker faster. Like Dan said check the tutorial I put up a few pages back and that should help. Star plastic, or the like in other brands, takes about 5-8 hours depending on the colors. Champion plastic, or like plastic in other brands, takes 8-24 hours depending on color choices. As always white is the best canvas, or if its champ as clear as you can get, glow champ works well. Check the Dye a Day Thread P2, I just put up a marble on a Proline Element that took 5 hours of dye time.

p.s. I'd do that write up Dan no sweat.

Alright.... first marble is in the pan. Waiting til after leagues to see finished product. I didn't get that magic consistency of the dye this time.... used a syringe to apply the dye/sc mix. Just wondering.... what do you guys normally mix the dye/sc in? I used small tupperware this time.... but I feel like I wasted a lot of dye. Maybe next time I will just use small dixie cups.

.... used a syringe to apply the dye/sc mix. Just wondering.... what do you guys normally mix the dye/sc in? I used small tupperware this time.... but I feel like I wasted a lot of dye. Maybe next time I will just use small dixie cups.
I normally use a small (about 6oz) squeeze bottle. I fit a plastic straw on the shaving cream can nozzle and use that to fill the bottle 2/3 with raw shaving cream. Then I use a syringe to add concentrated dye to it then shake well. Then you can squeeze it out exactly where I want it with little waste.

I usually use a spoon and a brush. I put a dollop of sc on the spoon, then use the brush to get the dye onto the spoon, then I mix it all together. That's what I do when I am painting. When I am doing backgrounds or the whole disc I will mix in a tupperware container also like you did. Just depends how much color you need.

Aha! I see! (said the blind man) My above post is the method I use for backgrounds. I have never tried painting with the SC. May have to do some experimenting there. Also... I have never done the SC marble with the dye on top of the disc. I always mix a bed then lay the disc on. I'd be interested to see how many of us use each method or even if one may be better than the other depending on the project.

I don't know of many that paint with sc besides me. If there is enough interest I may do a tutorial on it since people continually ask me how to do it. My method does let you do a lot of colors at once in controlled areas without having to remask. The actual technique is kinda difficult to handle if you don't get the mixes right, can't be runny at all. Most of my multi color discs I do with my sc painting method on top of the disc, I use sc bed for backgrounds. That Viking one I just put up used both methods.

just tried my first attempt, and failed pretty bad. i may have not mixed the dye that strong but was probly that i used gel shaving cream, set it up and went to work got home and there was just a huge mess because the shaving cream didnt stop expanding. going to try again thursday.

the best result I have had was when I got some seran wrap (about 1.5 sq ft.), wrinkled it up pretty good and put tiny drops of dye all over the seran wrap. (not too much though) If you see big globs of it, you did too much. you should be able to see the individual wrinkles between the dye. I set my disc upside down very slowly (once you set it on the dye/wrap don't move it)
and let it set overnight. I wish I had a picture to post because it worked out great and made the disc look like actual marble. I did it about 2 years ago but its really faded now and a picture wouldn't do it justice.

Posted in Dye a day thread as well:
MAWNPAWDD2Frenzy.jpg

wow! what yellow did u get to be THAT vibrant?

I used iDye Poly for the yellow, red and blue. I made it a little more concentrated than most recipes here so I could control the color when I added the SC.

I currently have a proton mvp anode sitting in shaving cream/dye as we speak. It is a green disc and I am doing red dye (made sure I made the dye:sc ratio kinda high to achieve a good color without it running.) I put it in around 1:30am last night before I went to bed. Should I be okay to take it out at 1:30pm this afternoon, or should I wait longer?

I don't really know how long it takes for mvp to take dye as this is my first attempt on their plastic.

By the way times are Eastern.

Latest posts