• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marbling agents

I think it depends on how dark you want the marble. If its red iDye, this takes a lot quicker the red RIT. I did black SC paint (I would guess similar times to) over vinyl on proton plastic and needed 24 hours plus to get the full dye. On the same disk I wanted to do get grays (to get smoke) and did 3-6 hours depending on how dark I wanted it. If you want it dark you may want to wait until tomorrow morning. If its just giving texture to to the blank spaces, you could probably pull it this afternoon. If you think it's too light, you could probably just throw it back in for longer time and have a few different shades of red!

Well, I pulled it out around 2:30. I should have waited longer. I wanted it to be decently dark, also I was dying the bottom and I didn't think about how it would look from the top:wall:

But hey, I still like how it looks, just gotta have the right angle of light to really see all of the detail of it.

Might do another layer of blue or purple to give it more depth.

Last edited:
Both if you don't mind. I mixed 1 pack of iDye and 8 oz. water for my dye mix, then added SC and turned out pretty bright. It was on a white Star plastic though, but hope this helps you get the darkness that you want.

I've done marbling on star before and it take wayyyy better than what my mvp took.

Here is just red: Sat about 13 hours
3a32a723.jpg

Here is with blue: Sat about 23 hours
ac022c04.jpg

It's no where near as bright and noticeable when not on my kitchen counter though :\

Last edited:
zoidberg.jpg

Shaving cream with a decent amount of water to thin it out a little. Used the same dye mix that I use to dye my discs (one packet iDye Poly to about 32oz water) and mixed that with a little bit of shaving cream so that the dye didn't just sink to the bottom. Used the back of my plastic, dye-mixing spoon to draw some crap (I'm no Dan Howard) and let the disc sit in the concoction for about 20 hours. Rinse and enjoy.

these are on Discrafts Glow Z plastic, using shaving cream with iDye poly

just dropped the dye on top of a shaving cream bed, and mixed around with a stick then let them sit for 12-14 hours

This is bottom marbled and top marbled (glow Zone)

Top: 6 hour sit time
2qujl1h.jpg

Bottom: 14 hour sit time
2rwrv9g.jpg

This one actually got marbled twice, first time for only 6 hours, then again for 14 hours to make a more solid effect (glow Comet)
352nmtl.jpg

Hey guys, do you think this technique was done with shaving cream? Thanks, ...................jerry

Attachments

• Ghost.jpg
    Ghost.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 130
I posted this a little while back in the dye-a-day, but thought it'd fit here as well. It's amazing how much SC has opened up what can be done to a disc. Only the black and the lightest yellow in the face were dipped. very minimal remasking required.
picture.php

Just dropped my first shaving cream dye job. I'm using idye poly yellow/orange/red. I am hoping for some vibrant color. I am thinking 12 hours in the bed of shaving cream, what do you guys think? I mixed the dye with shaving cream to help keep the dye from sinking into the sc.

Just dropped my first shaving cream dye job. I'm using idye poly yellow/orange/red. I am hoping for some vibrant color. I am thinking 12 hours in the bed of shaving cream, what do you guys think? I mixed the dye with shaving cream to help keep the dye from sinking into the sc.

post pictures before after and during! :D...

also what kind of SC works best with idye poly.

i have a quick question im going to try the marbling for my next disc so is it just normal dye mixture that goes on top is it more potent?? i love dying discs i almost dont have any un-dyed plastic in my bag. just trying to learn all the tecniques

i have a quick question im going to try the marbling for my next disc so is it just normal dye mixture that goes on top is it more potent?? i love dying discs i almost dont have any un-dyed plastic in my bag. just trying to learn all the tecniques

I think you may have issues with the liquid dye dropping through the shavin cream. There are some good tutorials that show the process step by step. By mixing with the shaving cream, your dye stays "suspended". I have had some interesting results by sprinkling the powder directly on top of the shaving cream, but would not call it marbeling.

I used a bottle that looks like a ketchup/condiment bottle. I put a little od the dye in and then mixed in shaving cream. Then applied like I was decorating a cake. The sc/dye mixture stayed on top very well.

Attachments

• IMG_20121217_220341.jpg
    IMG_20121217_220341.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 164
So I started with a pink Surge SS ESP Flex plastic. I left it in the sc bath for 17 hours. The colors came out very nice for a pink disc. I am looking forward to trying this on some white Gold Line Plastic. I have a couple other things I am gonna try on the next one, will update tonight.........jerry

Attachments

• 1219121728.jpg
    1219121728.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 1219121729.jpg
    1219121729.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts