• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marking the Basket

I expect to see peoples' names on baskets, and I don't mind.
However, I did just play a course (Timson Park) and most of the the baskets had pointless and inane vulgarities like "FUK BYU, PISS ON YOU", etc. This type of graffiti bothered me, and I wanted to beat down the perpetrators. But I don't mind an ace tag.
And some dude tagged a basket at Richmond Hill with "I almost aced this hole, so close!" - thats not cool either.

I still stand by my statement, but the car signing anology is completely irrelevant. A basket is in a public park to be used by everybody. A car is only meant to be used by the one who paid for it. It's not like someone paid for the #13 basket at Joe Schmoe's course and they're the only ones who get to use it. Same goes for the house.

GREAT POST SCARP!

After that, I got nothing to add
'nuff said.

Good post scarp, and I don't appreciate all the insinuations you made about me, because if you read my posts, I do not sign baskets, I just don't think it is that big of a deal. And I sure don't litter. And if you think that $1-2 will cut into anyone's "beer, weed, and sharpie money" then you may need to learn more about your fellow man, instead of judging them.

Locally, we have thick wooden tee sign supports and we mark our name and date on the pole, but nothing on the sign itself or the baskets. When I've gotten aces in other towns I've refrained from doing this, but I feel free to do so locally and it is widely accepted in the dg community in Ft. Wayne.

If I were to buy into this moronic logic, no basket tagger could mark anything larger than the smiley below. In fact, I think it would be smaller yet when you consider not everyone pays equal taxes, and the people most likely to tag baskets probably aren't putting that much into the public coffers to begin with.
:rolleyes:

Something I might want to point out is that just because you see disc golf baskets in a public park doesn't necessarily mean that they're public property. In many cases they're actually private property belonging to the local disc golf club which the parks department has given blessing to put in that public park. That club has the right to pull said baskets anytime they want for any reason they want. So in those instances, unless you're a member of that particular club, no you didn't pay for them, and hence they're not yours.

And even when they are the parks department's property, if you don't live in the taxing jurisdiction where the course is located and you did not help fund the money that paid for those baskets, they're still not yours, not even .001% yours.

The cig butts and beer cans on the ground don't interfere with my play either, but in either case it makes the course look like an eyesore. When those of us considerate enough to keep the park clean see graffiti on the baskets, it implies that the park is frequented by seedy people and is not a safe place to be. This runs off the family crowd who were trying to demonstrate the sport to. But hey, more course for you then right?

Three words. Cash for Clunkers. Better stock up on Sharpies dude. There's a lot of new vehicles on the roads that taxpayer money helped fund. You might get arrested or get your ass kicked, but hey, its your right, right?

To the people who didn't take part in the happy moment, the intent of any graffiti is irrelevant. It's still graffiti. Besides, I come to the course three hours later with some Goof Off, your memento is gone. If you want something to commemorate the moment, have everyone sign your disc, and take a picture with the basket.

Those of you who defend this practice are just cementing my opinion of why disc golf needs to go to a pay for play model. I guarantee a great deal of the people who are douchewagonny enough to tag a basket would probably go somewhere else if there was even a $1-2 daily course fee standing in their way. That cuts into their beer, weed, and Sharpie marker money.

A+ post. Especially the pay to play stuff. I have... I guess you could call them friends, but more like guys I knew in high school that are friends with my other friends that I play with that when he were planning a road trip 1 or 2 of them started throwing a fit that we had to pay $5 a day to park at the park. It was less than $1 a person. One of them almost didn't go because of it (which was fine with me, he's a detla bravo).

I still stand by my statement, but the car signing anology is completely irrelevant. A basket is in a public park to be used by everybody. A car is only meant to be used by the one who paid for it. It's not like someone paid for the #13 basket at Joe Schmoe's course and they're the only ones who get to use it. Same goes for the house.

I think a better anology than the car is the other buildings and fixtures in the park. Would you walk up to the parks department building and start writing on the walls? No. The same with the police department, city hall, courthouse, fire department, and any other city/public use building.

I have had two aces, didn't mark the basket or the disc. One of the discs I lost in the lake at Winthrop, the other is still in my bag. I don't need a sharpie to help me remember. The excitement is still fresh in my memory. I hope to have many more,

On a side note though I took some Goof Off to my local course and removed some ink from a basket. If it is the yellow innova band some goof off and elbow grease should take it right out. Some of you disc dyers may have some full strength acetone, that should do the trick as well. Just think if everyone on this forum cleaned one basket!

Good post scarp, and I don't appreciate all the insinuations you made about me, because if you read my posts, I do not sign baskets, I just don't think it is that big of a deal. And I sure don't litter. And if you think that $1-2 will cut into anyone's "beer, weed, and sharpie money" then you may need to learn more about your fellow man, instead of judging them.

follow your own advice at all?

WOW, this post really took off.
I am amazed that a number of people here think that it is OK to vandalize property.
People from all walks of life have posted on this thread basically implying the same school of thought that it is illegal, immoral, and downright frowned upon.

Perhaps, in some areas, tagging a basket is acceptable by other DGers, however, I think the bottom line is clear... DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING ON THE BASKET, TEE SIGN, TEE POST, WALL, CAR, ETC.!!!!!

This whole "It's OK as long as it's generally accepted" concept is a farce. If this course is in a public park, the general playing population has absolutely no authority to permit this activity, regardless if the local "club" or whatever private entity actually owns the equipment. Especially so, if taxpayer money bought the course.

The exception, of course, is if the course is on private property and the property owner allows it.

Good post. I would think that some people would just respect the integrity of the course. People want it trash and graffiti free to make the course enjoyable for everybody. Some courses can't get the acknowledgment from all caliber of players because of it's constant vandalism. If people are going to treat the course like a run-down gas station ****ter than that's what the course will eventually reflect. I also like the pay-to-play idea; I think that more courses should hop on that wagon.

what about weekly doubles (played for profit) in public parks and weed smoking and beer drinking , let he who has not done illegal activity throw the first stone.

Latest posts