• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marm O. discs

That's cool. It's like a personal thing that you have been developing over years. Cool of you to share.

...DGR were both still alive... its been that long!...
...I look at the stamp all the time and remember when DGR was a thing.
Stop it, y'all are making me nostalgic.

I still rock the Marm-art shirt we had printed up years ago. Makes me smile to see the discs and shirts floating around at local events.

Welcome back friend, solid marker skills.

Stop it, y'all are making me nostalgic.

I still rock the Marm-art shirt we had printed up years ago. Makes me smile to see the discs and shirts floating around at local events.

Welcome back friend, solid marker skills.

Ahhhhhh yes... 4th annual Whispering Falls Harvest; I get tons of comments when I wear that shirt too!

Thanks for the compliment :)

after seeing the warthog, first thing i thought was why DTP doesn't do this more instead of the arduous process of painting with dye. perhaps the limited palette of sharpies...

after seeing the warthog, first thing i thought was why DTP doesn't do this more instead of the arduous process of painting with dye. perhaps the limited palette of sharpies...

There's a full array of sharpie colors now. The days of black and only primary colors are gone.

Good news!

Still cant really mix and blend as much I'm sure.

I dunno; I'll have to get some colors and try.

One thing I'm sure of though, if you're filling large patches with color it is hard to hide the "brushstroke" artifacts from the sharpie .

When I first started dyeing and reading up on these forums I kinda got the impression that sharpie art wasn't as highly respected or sought after as a quality dye job. Of course up until now we hadn't really ever seen any real quality sharpie work. Nice job, Marmoset!
I've never really experimented with sharpie but now I may be inspired to give it a try. I think the only real advantages with painting vs. sharpies are the virtually infinite color choices and the ability to create smooth shading gradients. It's really just a matter of personal preference for tools and techniques but it's all art and art is good. :hfive:

proof:
DX Aviar from 1999-ish, Sharpie applied shortly after I got it
hundreds of rounds later

Ahhh... back when DX felt amazing and lasted forever, lol...

Curious, have you experimented with colored Sharpie and does it last as long?

Curious, have you experimented with colored Sharpie and does it last as long?

Not yet; that will be coming up soon. But to be perfectly honest, I like the purity of black sharpie on a white disc. Maybe my foray into color will change my mind?

And you're right, I wish the new DX felt like the old stuff!

Yeah, I'm with you... after a year seeking out old dx aviars, I just gave up.
I have one PDGA stamped puddle top from the mid 90s that is the best thing ever.
The closest I've found is Kastaplast K3 plastic, and its pretty darn close.
I know I was able to get some K2 Bergs that were unstamped, so if a K3 comes up unstamped you might want to give it a go.

And, I agree on the black sharpie.
If I find a blank K3, I'll send it your way to give a shot with some color, though!

Ive had a problem with the colors coming off on my fingers a little with premium plastic. Works to cover up some fugly attempts at art though. I wish i could find a MarOmasterpiece! So fresh...

Is this true for premium plastic as well? I feel like my name and number on my discs fuzzes and fades very similarly to dye.

I'll check when I get home.
I don't beautify many premium plastics but plenty of them have my name and number on the back ;)

In other news, I started reworking the TeeBird stamp from page 2. It looks nothing like the original but I looooooove it so far :)

The Champ Glow TL I found this weekend had very blurry ink. It had a 2009 tourney stamp on it so it could've been on there for a while.

I am guessing that ink, unlike dye, actually holds up better on DX than other plastic because DX does not dye very well. Where premium plastic will tend to absorb the ink deep into the plastic over time (and fuzz and fade a bit as it does), the ink on DX stays put closer to the surface. Pure speculation but it makes sense to me.

I am guessing that ink, unlike dye, actually holds up better on DX than other plastic because DX does not dye very well. Where premium plastic will tend to absorb the ink deep into the plastic over time (and fuzz and fade a bit as it does), the ink on DX stays put closer to the surface. Pure speculation but it makes sense to me.

I was thinking along the same lines as you until I did some investigation today.
Here is a gummy Champ Leo that I drew probably 10 years ago; he is starting to fuzz just a teeny bit. This is what I would expect, right?
11995958_931308790274529_5676733255976138971_n.jpg

but I looked at a DX Leo that I Sharpied my number onto in 2011. Sharpie is bleeding through to the top of the flight plate. Below is a KC Roc that I just sharpied tonight. On the back is my name that I sharpied on in 2011. It is bleeding through to the top of the flight plate just like the DX Leo; this is not at all what I expected to see :thmbdown:
11063958_931308783607863_8799256670998004890_n.jpg

And I found this moldy-oldy while I was rummaging through my piles-o-discs looking for ones that have bled. It is a random drawing of a dragon I guess. I drew it on an E Warrior.
11200897_931308780274530_5957002250670324522_n.jpg

as a side note, I can tell a huge difference when I plan out a graphic instead of "winging it."
The Dragon was a spur of the moment thing, the snake I drew on paper to plan the logistics before I put it onto the disc.

In other news, the new eagle graphic is done but I need to figure out which disc to put it onto. I carry Eagles but... I don't know. An eagle on an Eagle seems lame. I chose not to put the rattler graphic onto my Cobra for the same reason :)

Hmm...I guess this is more evidence that it's impossible to create hard and fast rules for how ink/dye interact with given plastics. There's simply too many variables.

Some more awesome drawings though!