• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

maryland/delaware/jersey

biscoe

* Ace Member *
going to the jersey shore for a couple of days in early may and will likely have time to hit one course heading north and another on the return trip south. i can either go 95 the whole way or take 301 up through maryland to 95.

what 2 courses should i hit? must be 18 or more holes, close to the route and relatively free from suck. my initial inclination is iron hill 99.5% and scarboro 70%.

feel free to convince me otherwise.

I95 in MD

Scarboro is a fine course, and if you end up playing it, I think you'd enjoy it. Mile/time-wise, it is ~12 miles / ~20 minutes from I95.

Rockburn is an equally fine course, and is ~2.5 miles / ~5 minutes from I95.

So, for quality of course, one could argue either way (I'm home-biased towards Rockburn). For timing efficiency, Rockburn is the clear winner.

John,

Moser's Carousel is about 4 miles off I-95 and is "less woodsy, more diverse" than Iron Hill. My favorite course in the DE / soNJ / MD area (right up there in goodness with Tyler and Nockamixon).

Karl

John,

Moser's Carousel is about 4 miles off I-95 and is "less woodsy, more diverse" than Iron Hill. My favorite course in the DE / soNJ / MD area (right up there in goodness with Tyler and Nockamixon).

Karl

Less woodsy, yes. More diverse? Unless your on crack! Iron Hill has just about any hole you could think of.

If your only doing two, and haven't played either, then Iron Hill and Scarboro are great choices. If you need some one to show you around Iron Hill hit me up. The two courses couldn't be more different. Scarboro has an old school 5500' style course feel. Easy to get around and just fun to play. Iron Hill is more tournament ready and if your not playing well it can be brutal. If you are playing well it can be very rewarding and when you leave you'll know you've played the hardest permanent course in the world.

jeff- i've already played rockburn (which is very good)- preference is to play a couple of new ones.

karl- i was thinking about carousel but it looks a little open for my tastes- is that not the case?

jimi- if i can get organized enough to actually know when i'll be there i will hit you up. i look forward to taking my beating there. long hard courses=fun.

John, Carousel is a great course, but not the type of course you are looking for. It seems Moser likes more open courses. He does not like Scarboro, so I think you will :)
I think you will be really happy with Iron Hill as well.

To say Moser doesn't like wooded courses is not true. Ask anyone who has played with Mike and they will tell you the opposite. Carousel gets a bad rep due to the park not allowing tee pads, signs near the tees and signs to the next tees. Carousel is like having an extra temp course for a big event except you can play it all the time. You probably need some one to show you around, but once you know were everything is, it's an awesome course. I think it's the perfect compliment course to Iron Hill. Play both long to long in one day to get the full effect. 2 10,000' courses that are totally opposite of each other.

John, Carousel is a great course, but not the type of course you are looking for. It seems Moser likes more open courses. He does not like Scarboro, so I think you will :)
I think you will be really happy with Iron Hill as well.

Moser was probably the best woods player in the world at one point in time so I think you're a wee bit off base there.

Carousel was given to our club with strict restrictions. Mike helped design a lot with those restrictions in mind. I think those that have played the course in a tournament have a better view of the course. Mike usually plays Iron Hill as well, if not better than Carousel. The only thing that might suit his game better is the opportunity to throw his roller and have clear putting looks from 100' in on a lot of holes.

Just play Carousel and Iron Hill. Between those courses, you will see every hole you can imagine. They're both long and challenging. Iron Hill is easily one of the hardest layouts I have ever played. Rockburn is fun. Druid is fun. Scarboro is too. Hmmm, maybe this isn't as easy as I thought.

I'll throw Patapsco out there also. It's a little off your route, but it's a really awesome course. 2 pads and 2 baskets on every hole. The teepads aren't cement, but they are surprisingly amazing. Great variety of shots from wide open bombs to some of the tightest trees you'll see and everything in between.

Seneca is also a really fun course, although it's a bit off your route also.

Edit: It really comes down to the type of golf you want to play. If you enjoy true course par on 18 holes to be more than 54, Carousel(67), Iron Hill(73), and Patapsco(67) are your choices.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure John has played Patapsco and Seneca. The one thing about both Iron Hill and Carousel is I wouldn't call them fun. Even a casual round leaves you feeling like you just played a tournament.

Iron Hill is literally less than 3 minutes from 95 and the best course easily amongst your options if not the entire region...Its a one of a kind....Scarboro is more leisurely but very isolated and also a lot of fun

I think those are good bets

Sentimental vote for South Vineland but I have a liking for quirky weird NJ

I'm pretty sure John has played Patapsco and Seneca. The one thing about both Iron Hill and Carousel is I wouldn't call them fun. Even a casual round leaves you feeling like you just played a tournament.

yep... i've played all of the "older" courses in maryland and delaware. hawk hollow can beat you up quite a bit too so i like the idea that playing a round on these courses is a bit of work.

i'm definitely going to hit iron hill either coming or going. i'll probably not decide between carousel and scarboro until i'm en route.

headed farther north than atlantic city this time (Bay Head,NJ) so won't be going near vineland- will try to hit that one next time we head to the borgata.

John,

Let us know when you are hitting Iron Hill up. We can make it a Hawk Hollow reunion. Me, Zack (Cyclops) and Val can meet you down there. It's only about an hour drive from where we are up North in Pa and NJ.