• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mason's Bag

Mason65

Eagle Member
Here's what I carry, what am I missing? The drivers can get out around 350 controlled.

Drivers
11x Firebird
1.2 SOLF
1.1 SOLF
Star Valk

ESP Cyclone
New X Cyclone
X Cyclone starting to wear
Beat D Cyclone

Mids
FLX Buzzz
D Buzzz starting to wear

Putts
New Champ Rhyno
Beat Champ Rhyno
Beat DX Rhyno (May switch to a pro for the winter, the DX was uncomfortably stiff today)

Overstable mid, maybe a Z Wasp. I'm assuming eh D Buzzz is your unstable mid but if not a Meteor or a Comet.

I've considered it, but my Champ Rhyno is my overstable mid, anything out of its reach and I'll go with the Firebird. I'm trying to get the Buzzz beat in enough to see if I like it as an understable mid, I'm still pretty new to the mold. Thanks for the input!

Just asking, what do you throw anny out of that bag? Do you compensate with a flick?
I guess that brings up a better question...how do you throw typically? That could change the way this bag plays out. Maybe the valk takes this spot for you...maybe you're a monster arm...i dunno. Anyway, this is what comes to my mind.

I'd suggest a straight putter like the Wizard (SS or SSS).

I've considered it, but my Champ Rhyno is my overstable mid, anything out of its reach and I'll go with the Firebird. I'm trying to get the Buzzz beat in enough to see if I like it as an understable mid, I'm still pretty new to the mold. Thanks for the input!
The Wasp is more for a midrange with a decent fade or pure hyzers wher you don't want a super strong fade. It's worth trying out to see if you really need it and you can always drop it if you don't.

The Buzzzes, Cyclones and Valk should cover your turnover and anhyzer shots well.

It looks like a really solid bag to me.

Mason, I actually have a question. Has the beat Champ Rhyno lost some stability? I like them for approaches, especially into the wind, but never really liked it for true putting.

Just asking, what do you throw anny out of that bag? Do you compensate with a flick?
I guess that brings up a better question...how do you throw typically? That could change the way this bag plays out. Maybe the valk takes this spot for you...maybe you're a monster arm...i dunno. Anyway, this is what comes to my mind.

I'd suggest a straight putter like the Wizard (SS or SSS).

I hyzer flip most of my stuff. For a hyzerflip to anny, the D or worn X Cyclone works for me. When throwing a long anny, I actually like to throw the 1.2 SOLF because its LSS will cause it to flex and land flat just before it hits the ground. If I try the same shot with a Valk it will catch edge and roll left, negating my anny.

@Toothyfish, The worn champ Rhyno I picked up in a trade about 6 months ago and it had already seen some heavy use. It would take a LONG time to get to this stage. Its about 15' longer than my new champ on similar lines when driving, and will flip flat into a headwind when released with a touch of hyzer. Its straighter for approaches for me.

If there's a strong wind up, I will putt with my champs, since my DX is a 166. I can't tell much difference between new/worn champs when putting. I like firmer putters because I feel I get more power transfer between my fingertips and the disc, where soft putters I feel half my push is absorbed by the flex of the disc. This is why I putt with DX.

I've got a nice marbled gray Star Rhyno that I'm going to try to work into that worn champ slot eventually, I feel the Star plastic will get there much faster.

9 year thread revival here.

I stopped playing around 2012 when work and a young family really took over my time. I started a new job recently and I pass a course on the way home from work, so it's easy to get a quick round in. Also my daughter is getting old enough to tag along on the weekends. When I stopped playing I was pretty settled in to throwing:

Rhynos
Rocs
Eagles
Firebirds
Destroyers

Starting back up I've been trying new molds and I'm going to try to keep better track of changes here. Also staying away from the ultra fast stuff for now for consistency.

Current vitals:

Years playing: on again/off agains since 2004.
Athletic background: Football, Rugby, Shotput/Discus. I'm definitely more heavy ham fisted than finesse when it comes to DG!
Throwing RHBH. Working to develop serviceable RHFH.
No injuries that affect Disc Golf
Current distance (workable lines/max D): Envy 260/290, Mako3 280/310, Thunderbird 330/370

I've tried a number of newer molds since getting back into playing. The three molds that have really impressed me are the Mako3, Envy, and Thunderbird. Today I played with:

Electron Envy
Neutron Envy
Soft Neutron Envy

Champ Mako3, fresh
Champ Mako3, beat

Neutron Resistor
Neutron Relay
Star Eagle-x

2x Champ Thunderbird
Pro Thunderbird
Star Valkyrie, flippy

All in a GB Squirrel Monkey. I see a lot of versatility in the Envy and Thunderbird, so I'm really working heavily with these molds and working to fill in gaps around them with utility molds. The Mako3 is a bit one trick pony, but it wants to go straight more than any other disc I've tried, and I like the beadless feel. The Resistor/Relay combo got more work than the Eagle, so I may pull it out to see if I miss it.

Last edited:
I've changed the bag too many times to list in the past 8 months. The I dropped the Envy and Mako3, still liking Thunderbirds. I felt good today throwing

2x Rhyno, Champ and R-Pro

3x Roc, DX

Glow Champ Leo3
Champ Leo3
Pro Leo

Star Firebird
Champ Thunderbird
Champ Valkyrie
Flippy Star Valkyrie

I've done some work with Zones for approaches and Pures as a driving putter as well. I find overlap with the zone and Rhyno in the bag, and I actually see some overlap with Pures and Rocs. I know I need to improve my mental games, but if I have too much overlap it's easier to second guess a shot and regret not choosing the other disc when a shot goes awry.

Sounds like you are not missing anything other then a Roller disc and or a left turn unless you can do that with the Pro Leopard or one of the leopard 3. I bet some of the beat DX ROC discs you could do the same with. Now as for Putters I think you are fine, I would just recommend getting a separate of the Ryhno set for driving and putting so the putter you are not driving with the one you are putting with get warped beyond use from hitting a tree.

I've changed the bag too many times to list in the past 8 months. The I dropped the Envy and Mako3, still liking Thunderbirds. I felt good today throwing
2x Rhyno, Champ and R-Pro
3x Roc, DX
Glow Champ Leo3
Champ Leo3
Pro Leo
Star Firebird
Champ Thunderbird
Champ Valkyrie
Flippy Star Valkyrie

I've done some work with Zones for approaches and Pures as a driving putter as well. I find overlap with the zone and Rhyno in the bag, and I actually see some overlap with Pures and Rocs. I know I need to improve my mental games, but if I have too much overlap it's easier to second guess a shot and regret not choosing the other disc when a shot goes awry.

Solid bag. :thmbup:

Let us know how your Zone experiment works out for you.