• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Max Distance Needed To Be 1000 Rated?

How Far Do You Have To Throw To Be 1000 Rated?

• Total voters
To be 1000 rated pro I feel that you need to be able Forehand and have it decent to throw that at lest the same distance as you would with a midrange backhand. That is minimum to be 1000 rated.

To be 1000 rated pro I feel that you need to be able Forehand and have it decent to throw that at lest the same distance as you would with a midrange backhand. That is minimum to be 1000 rated.

1. Climo never throws forehand = never not 1000 rated
2. Schultz never throws forehand = never not 1000 rated
3. How long did you think about this response?

I think not having a long range forehand can make the difference between how well Climo and Schultz played at their peak and how well McBeth and Wysocki play(ed) in terms of their max player rating achieved. It's maybe worth 1-2 throws saved per round but that's all it takes between a 1040 and 1055 rating. But since this thread is about 1000 rating, a good forehand can be helpful or even your default throwing style, but not required to get to 1000 as noted by takman.

I've said it already on the thread and I'll say it again, I think some people are conflating being 1000 rated and being an elite level touring pro. You can be 1000 rated and not be good enough to compete consistently on the NT/DGPT circuit. The difference between a Sexton/Doss/Lizotte/McMahon, let alone a McBeth/Wysocki, and a typical 1000-rated player is 30-40 points. 30-40 points is generally 3-5 throws per round, depending on the course.

1000 rated players are the local cream of the crop, not the national creme of the crop. Thus where one is and the types of courses that are prevalent play a factor in what kind of distance is necessary to be a 1000 rated player. And of course, the distance alone is nothing without a solid short game and good/great putting.

I've said it already on the thread and I'll say it again, I think some people are conflating being 1000 rated and being an elite level touring pro. You can be 1000 rated and not be good enough to compete consistently on the NT/DGPT circuit. The difference between a Sexton/Doss/Lizotte/McMahon, let alone a McBeth/Wysocki, and a typical 1000-rated player is 30-40 points. 30-40 points is generally 3-5 throws per round, depending on the course.

1000 rated players are the local cream of the crop, not the national creme of the crop. Thus where one is and the types of courses that are prevalent play a factor in what kind of distance is necessary to be a 1000 rated player. And of course, the distance alone is nothing without a solid short game and good/great putting.

These people may not know what conflating means

Conflate
verb (used with object), con·flat·ed, con·flat·ing.
1. to fuse into one entity; merge:

Exactly.

Nor are the easiest ways to 1000, or the most common ways to 1000, the only routes to 1000. People get there with some variations in their skillsets.

As one of the main people arguing against the short off the tee to 1000 crowd, i don't think that's what's happening at all or at least I'm not confused. When I say 400' minimum, that IS to be a local 1000 rated guy. Not an elite touring pro.

For 1030+ you have to be HUGE off the tee or be able to accurately throw accurate 400+ forehands and 450+ backhands like Nate Sexton. Every single guy in the top 50 by rating has a least 450 off the tee.

I have already conceded that there may be a couple of guys to reach 1000 with between 350 and 400 feet of power who are world class at everything else. So if we insist on making the question what is technically possible vs what is realistically possible - you can get away with less than 400' if you putt well enough to have innova name a putter mold after you.

It has been concretely demonstrated by a number of players at this point that you do not need to ever throw a forehand off the tee to be 1000 rated.

I think we also need to keep something else in perspective. What it means to be 1000-rated changes. 1000 rated in 2004 does not mean 1000 rated in 2018. Technology changes, course design changes, the shear number of players changes. So the skills needed to be 1000 rated in 2004 are probably a bit different in 2018. In 2018, it very well might require 400+ driving distance and putting accuracy within 40 feet where in 2004 it might only have required 350 driving distance and putting accuracy within 30 feet. So what Yeti or Joey Mela were doing 10+ years ago might not be enough to achieve the same rating any more. Ratings are derived based on how you play versus the field, so if the field changes, wouldn't it make sense if other factors change too. It's not a fixed concept.

I'm not trying to make a case for one distance versus another. I don't really think there is a magical threshold at all. Being a 1000 rated golfer is combining a number of different skills, but what and how much of each skill isn't down to some sort of rote formula.

I have already conceded that there may be a couple of guys to reach 1000 with between 350 and 400 feet of power who are world class at everything else. So if we insist on making the question what is technically possible vs what is realistically possible - you can get away with less than 400' if you putt well enough to have innova name a putter mold after you.

Probably no right or wrong answer as to how many players have to do it, to consider it realistically possible. Each of us might draw that line differently.

The names brought up are well-known players; I have no idea how many other "local stars" have done it, with games suited to their local or regional courses. Or how few.

I am a little surprised that players under 400' have managed, though. I would assume 400' is reasonable--assuming that means somewhere over 400', but less than 450', and the right combinations of excellent control/consistency/putting, and suitable courses.

I think the real question is "How far under par do you have to be to be rated 1000?"

So here's Joe Mela. Multi-time world champ. Rated 1000 as recently as July 2016. Currently rated 991. I would be mildly shocked if he had air distance of more than 350 on flat ground with no wind. His stable distance driver is a Roadrunner. His main driver is a Mamba. He still throws 86 Softies. Joe gets by with super technical lines and excellent putting and approaches. He's also 56, so it's unlikely that his rating will improve--but I think it's pretty fair to say that there is a tactile example of a player being 1000+ in the very recent past without 350 distance (and certainly not straight line distance).

Where did Fish comment?
^ There. I seem to recall Mela having more than 350' of distance though it was 5+ years ago.

Hmm, let's see, Paige throws around 450 and is not a 1000 rated player. I would think the accuracy would be the main thing with distance. And the putting has to be in there too. Like maybe 60% made from 25 to 35 feet could make you get in the upper 900's but 75% from that distance might bump you up in the 1000's.
I am hoping for 50% from 15 feet so I am not worried about 4 figures.

Latest posts