• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeth Putting Technique

Shapers

Par Member
I've been strugling with getting enough power behind my puts. I've been watching a lot of tournaments, and I've noticed that McBeth seems to be the one who get's the most power with the least amount of effort. Is there someone who has done an analysis of his technique? Do you know about any articles or videos?

He makes it looks effortless because he's put in thousands of hours of tweaking. That's why any highly ranked ADV or PRO makes it seem so easy. They are fluid.

Their technique works for them. Rico is quoted to be about 95% inside the circle, Yeti is a 4x putting champ. Learn the basics, then put the work in. It's not a specific disc, or form, that will get you there, it's the work.

Of coure I need to put in a lot of hours, but it's the basics I need help with. And I've been looking at a lot of pros, and McBeth is the one that's closest to my prefered technique. That's why I was hoping to find an analysis of his putting, to help me understand all the elements of the puts, and to tweak my putting. I doesn't help to practice the wrong thing.

power comes from bringing disc down to his knee, pushing off the back foot and popping up on the front leg. One more thing i noticed that i need to try is he starts facing the basket then closes his body off, sort of the opposite of throwing a shot. that helps keep the shot online and not pulled to the right. This also moves the shoulder towards the basket. maybe this is the thing that will fix my always a foot to the right problem.

Same happens to me bogey, I'm fine if my disc fades left too early because I understand that I never gave it a real chance of going center chain, what irks me to no end though is when it flies right of the chains and half the time doesn't even tag metal.

I've been working on a few disc angles to try and resolve the problem when I see it arise, but maybe I need to check my shoulder more.

Something you can focus on that helps some with not missing right for a stagger putt is keeping the disc left (RHBH) of the center of the body (line extending from basket through mini) through the entire putting motion. It is very difficult to miss right if the disc never crosses onto your right half and if you do it means your wrist completely unhinged instead of pushing the fingers forward.

when you miss to the right it is because you are moving your entire arm off to the right. This doesn't have to be much to make you miss to the right. This happens with a lot of stagger push/hyzer putters. The trick that I have learned and what most of the pros like mcbeth do, is they actually bend there elbow while bringing there putter back/down. This allows for the natural arm extension to also give it alittle more power. The key thing is to always end with your hand pointing at the basket. If you freeze your hand at the end of your putt when you miss right I guarantee that it will be up and to the right of the basket

Same happens to me bogey, I'm fine if my disc fades left too early because I understand that I never gave it a real chance of going center chain, what irks me to no end though is when it flies right of the chains and half the time doesn't even tag metal.

I've been working on a few disc angles to try and resolve the problem when I see it arise, but maybe I need to check my shoulder more.

I have the same problem.
The way I solved this was to use the top pointer finger knuckle as a reference point. I actually make sure I can see the basket pole directly behind the top knuckle of my pointer finger. This way the backswing of the putt always starts from the same point and so it has a better chance of finishing consistently.

I have been having trouble lately with getting the finger spring/push on my putts. Is there any good drills or articles someone could link to help me out? Also, this is the most frustrating part, I keep putting nose down lately. I try to keep my hand straight out like shaking hands and for some reason my hand just ends up cocked down like it would be on my drives. I'm asking on this post because my putting style resembles McBeth's but I just need to fix these 2 things.

I have this problem all the time when I'm not concentrating. However there are many times when the disc comes out perfectly, just as I am picturing it in my head. My secret is that I slow the release down. Its counter-intuitive, because you think if you want more distance, you want to release it "fast". But what I do, is I slow down the release so that I can visibly see the top of my disc (so that it is pointed up) when I release, and that both left and right sides are parallel (so I release it flat, not hyzered).

Its very important that you don't mess up your timing of the weight transfer, though, because slowing down the release tends to take away power. So I don't try and make my putt any less "powerful", I just try my best to slow the release so that I can see what my disc looks like before I let it go. Hope that helps.

Back to the aiming of your knuckle, is this what McBeth is doing when he's lining things up? My putt is similar to his as well but I don't aim the disc directly in front of me, wish I could explain, maybe a video of me putting is in order. It appears he's aiming/focusing on his disc or hand or knuckle just before he draws back, might have to try something similar to that like the knuckle thing you suggested.

It took me forever to get my grip to feel right on my putter, I used to always line my index finger along the bead and it did generate good spin but I would miss left or right half the time. I had tried to curl the tip of my finger under the lip occasionally but then I would get that ugly wobble with NO power! Things started to come together a little more when I fixed my grip and made myself curl the finger under the lip until it felt right and (this was the big discovery>) got my weight transfer timing under control.

So the new grip, the timing of my weight shift allowing me to simultaneously pop the disc forward as my rear leg pushed off generated plenty of power and eliminated that ugly wobble. The putts started slamming in nicely even from 40+'!

All I need to fine tune now is this right of basket issue. I've read and heard several times before that some will aim LEFT of the pole, this always seemed to boggle my mind, I mean RHBH you Know your disc will hyzer out so why would I line up and aim even MORE left?! I aim dead center pole every time and nail it 60-70% of the time, the other 30% is the right side miss, I may have to force myself to aim a little more left of the pole and see how that works out, and the knuckle trick, kind of follow through like a golfer does with his stick on that same line.

Thanks for the suggestion, sorry for the long post.

The grip is key for this putting style, I think.
If you look at PM's SpinTV putting video, he shows that his index finger curls around the underside of the rim, but not under the rim.
The "pop" is coming from the thumb and middle finger, which allows for a clean release.
Using the thumd and middle finger is important for using a deep/thick putter like the beadless Aviar. I have tried this grip with a big bead KC Pro Aviar, as an experiment, but so far I am staying with the beadless Aviar.
One thing I like about this putting motion, is that I tend to miss on "pro side" of the basket. A lot of my "pulled" putts have been snagged by just a chain or two.
About aiming on the knuckle. I don't really understand why this works so well, but I think it works because it forces you to start your motion in exactly the same place every time. This also makes the pull through more consistent.
I also aim straight for the pole, but I actually aim to hit the pole. This helps prevent the putter from dying (fading out) in front of the chains, especially on longer putts.

I am still working on the smooth weight transfer. If I don't transfer my weight well, I tend to throw it high. Using PM's trick of "wagging/twisting/grounding" my back foot seems to be helping.

I have been having trouble lately with getting the finger spring/push on my putts. Is there any good drills or articles someone could link to help me out? Also, this is the most frustrating part, I keep putting nose down lately. I try to keep my hand straight out like shaking hands and for some reason my hand just ends up cocked down like it would be on my drives. I'm asking on this post because my putting style resembles McBeth's but I just need to fix these 2 things.

I find that when I putt nose down or don't get that pop out of the hand, it's on "big" putts and it's because I'm overthinking and trying to aim instead of throw the putt.

Like, when I have a birdie chance on that hole I never birdie. I'll just 'hang back' and not finish, trying to not miss instead of make the putt.

What I've been trying to do is, last thing I tell myself before the putt is remember to reach.

Gateway has those trainer wizards weight 200-300+ grams. I just picked some up at BG to mess around with. I think the concept behind practicing putting with them is they help you develop stronger snap. Then you can also practice driving with them.

Gateway has those trainer wizards weight 200-300+ grams. I just picked some up at BG to mess around with. I think the concept behind practicing putting with them is they help you develop stronger snap. Then you can also practice driving with them.

Interesting, didn't know they existed, I need to get me one!